Bringing mom with cancer...

Momtomouselover

DIS Veteran
My sister and I are bringing my mom to Disney World! We are super excited for the trip and her oncologist says it is a good time health and treatment time to go. Mom has cancer and has been battling for almost a year. Her treatments are going pretty well and she is on a mild chemo right now until she starts radiation when we return so it's a good time to travel. I want the trip to be as special as possible and go smoothly and give us lots of good memories....so, I know much of this info may be in here but I'm having to put together this trip quickly so don't have lots of time to plan so please help if you can (and I'll start looking so I can be prepared).

1. Mom uses a walker at home but we are going to rent her a wheelchair because she gets extremely fatigued after a short while. Any recommendations on where to rent a comfortable chair for her? My sister and I will take turn pushing.

2. We will have a fair amount of medications including insulin. Can they refrigerate in the parks? I know the room has a refrigerator.

3. We won't be riding much but when we do mom can't wait for too long. It's not just mobility related but also digestive and others that I'm not listing. Recommendations on how to handle? I'm assuming we can get one of those cards (DAS yes?) but for example I need moving walkways to stop while she transfers, etc. because of balance issues.

4. Is there a handicapped section for parades and fireworks or special seating I could purchase? This and just general atmosphere and specials meals is what I think she will enjoy the most.

5. Will her port (power port) used for chemo cause metal detectors to go off? Does she need a letter explaining?

6. We are staying at YC. Any room recommendations? We are likely to enjoy the resort a bit.

7. Any recommendations on what we can add to make this trip very special?

Thanks for help, advice, and any magical wishes!

ETA- I found info on Buena Vista scooters in the FAQ/thread and will call them about the wheelchair in the morning. Fingers crossed there is availability. So that's question #1. I just read about the DAS (which I now know is no longer a card) so I think mom will qualify or I hope so. So this answers #3. Although all the different types of boarding is still a lot to remember (steps, walkways, etc.).

Last edited:
My sister and I are bringing my mom to Disney World! We are super excited for the trip and her oncologist says it is a good time health and treatment time to go. Mom has pancreatic cancer and has been battling for almost a year. Her treatments are going pretty well and she is on a mild chemo until she starts radiation when we return so it's a good time to travel. I want the trip to be as special as possible and go smoothly and give us lots of good memories....so, I know much of this info may be in here but I'm having to put together this trip quickly so don't have lots of time to plan so please help if you can (and I'll start looking so I can be prepared).

1. Mom uses a walker at home but we are going to rent her a wheelchair because she gets extremely fatigued after a short while. Any recommendations on where to rent a comfortable chair for her? My sister and I will take turn pushing.

2. We will have a fair amount of medications including insulin. Can they refrigerate in the parks? I know the room has a refrigerator.

3. We won't be riding much but when we do mom can't wait for too long. It's not just mobility related but also digestive and others that I'm not listing. Recommendations on how to handle? I'm assuming we can get one of those cards (DAS yes?) but for example I need moving walkways to stop while she transfers, etc. because of balance issues.

4. Is there a handicapped section for parades and fireworks or special seating I could purchase? This and just general atmosphere and specials meals is what I think she will enjoy the most.

5. Will her port (power port) used for chemo cause metal detectors to go off? Does she need a letter explaining?

6. We are staying at YC. Any room recommendations? We are likely to enjoy the resort a bit.

7. Any recommendations on what we can add to make this trip very special? I'm hopeful for the future but suffice it to say pancreatic cancer is a beast :(. Our trip is 4-days and planned last minute so booking things has been hard.

Thanks for help, advice, and any magical wishes!

ETA- I found info on Buena Vista scooters in the FAQ/thread and will call them about the wheelchair in the morning. Fingers crossed there is availability. So that's question #1. I just read about the DAS (which I now know is no longer a card) so I think mom will qualify or I hope so. So this answers #3. Although all the different types of boarding is still a lot to remember (steps, walkways, etc.).

1) There is a list of wheelchair rentals I would just look one up and call them. ( I would get one off site so that you have it the whole time.

2) you will be fine to bring meds in the park with you, most insulins are in at room temp. for 27 days but please do not and I man DO NOT ( yes I am yelling here) use the hotel fridges all though insulin is fine at room temp if frozen they go bad right away ( can you tell I have ruin a few by uses the hotel ( DISNEY HOTEL frige) if you want you can buy an FRIO ( you can find them at droung stores Walmarts you shock them in water and they keep thing cool for a day or two and you can reuse them.

3 to get the DAS you need to go to GR and the cast member will ask you what your concerns are for lines think about what your mom will need help with inline, if it is she gets tierd, she gets dizzy, she can not walk things that can be helped by a wheelchair they will suggest this, Basckily I would write down your concerns for your mom and go to guset relasion with then and see what they say. ( I find this why you get the accommodation you need not the ones you think you need and your mom will have a much better trip) Also, the DAS does nothing to help make lines shorter. also, the DAS will not do anything to help with stopping moving walkways so if this is why you need it you just need to let the CM know ( Peter pan and the people move are tow rides that cannot stop or slow the moving walkways.)

4 There might be one for the parade but I heard it went away, I would just find a spot in Frontierland about 30-45 minutes beforehand ( in the shade and this should not be hard) get a snack and use this time to people watch and rest. there is nothing for the fireworks put you can pay for the dessert party ( a lot of fun) and a good view of HEA

5 more then likely no and you can just tell the CM what it is ( they will not look at Dr note so no need for one)

6 never stayed at YC

7 take it slow this is your time together do not try to everything. Some of my best memories of my grandma are from our time at Disney just sitting and eating ice cream, Take each minute as they come and have fun. If there is something you really want to do but do not think you can do it talk to a CM you would be surprised at what they can do sometimes.

1) There is a list of wheelchair rentals I would just look one up and call them. ( I would get one off site so that you have it the whole time.

2) you will be fine to bring meds in the park with you, most insulins are in at room temp. for 27 days but please do not and I man DO NOT ( yes I am yelling here) use the hotel fridges all though insulin is fine at room temp if frozen they go bad right away ( can you tell I have ruin a few by uses the hotel ( DISNEY HOTEL frige) if you want you can buy an FRIO ( you can find them at droung stores Walmarts you shock them in water and they keep thing cool for a day or two and you can reuse them.

3 to get the DAS you need to go to GR and the cast member will ask you what your concerns are for lines think about what your mom will need help with inline, if it is she gets tierd, she gets dizzy, she can not walk things that can be helped by a wheelchair they will suggest this, Basckily I would write down your concerns for your mom and go to guset relasion with then and see what they say. ( I find this why you get the accommodation you need not the ones you think you need and your mom will have a much better trip) Also, the DAS does nothing to help make lines shorter. also, the DAS will not do anything to help with stopping moving walkways so if this is why you need it you just need to let the CM know ( Peter pan and the people move are tow rides that cannot stop or slow the moving walkways.)

4 There might be one for the parade but I heard it went away, I would just find a spot in Frontierland about 30-45 minutes beforehand ( in the shade and this should not be hard) get a snack and use this time to people watch and rest. there is nothing for the fireworks put you can pay for the dessert party ( a lot of fun) and a good view of HEA

5 more then likely no and you can just tell the CM what it is ( they will not look at Dr note so no need for one)

6 never stayed at YC

7 take it slow this is your time together do not try to everything. Some of my best memories of my grandma are from our time at Disney just sitting and eating ice cream, Take each minute as they come and have fun. If there is something you really want to do but do not think you can do it talk to a CM you would be surprised at what they can do sometimes.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm thinking your response to #7 will be what we focus on the most. It really is a trip to spend time together, enjoy the atmosphere, and hopefully forget about cancer for a couple days. I'm not too concerned about getting a DAS because unfortunately there are many "issues" that will make waiting in a queue difficult but I'm not going to list them all here. I do really want to make it special though if I can. Rides are not a primary focus but there are a couple things we will want to do like Soarin, Toy Story and IASW and JC and maybe Peter Pan (no thrill rides). Disappointing that there are no fireworks spots for disabled. I'll look into the dessert parties even though moms diabetes keeps her from being able to eat many sweets. Perhaps we will plan on enjoying fireworks from a resort (GF or Poly) instead. Even if we can't see the projections I think the less stress and maybe less crowds will make it better. We are trying to leave in about two weeks. It's really hard to plan ahead so we will have to be flexible with how mom feels and energy on any given day. Actually, the difficulty of planning is one of the reasons I think a DAS may be helpful vs FP. For instance, if nausea hits you just can't go until you take a Zofran and it passes then all is well again except at Disney while you were recovering your FP expired :/

Last edited:
1. Look into getting something like this https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medica...pID=31vN8776s3L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

2. And this https://www.amazon.com/Insulin-Cool...1vTbC1MVdL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1 (because what if you're not near first aid when she needs insulin?)

3. Don't assume. She might, but have a good touring plan.

6. Best to ask on the Resorts Forum. Remember, anything you request is just a request
====
There are a number of medical equipment rental companies, but BVS should have wheelchairs

1. Look into getting something like this https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medica...pID=31vN8776s3L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

2. And this https://www.amazon.com/Insulin-Cooling-Reusable-Evaporative-Medication/dp/B0002262D0/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1518233448&sr=1-3&keywords=frio+insulin+cooling+wallet&dpID=41vTbC1MVdL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1 (because what if you're not near first aid when she needs insulin?)

3. Don't assume. She might, but have a good touring plan.

6. Best to ask on the Resorts Forum. Remember, anything you request is just a request
====
There are a number of medical equipment rental companies, but BVS should have wheelchairs

Great idea! I love the idea of a cushion. The wheelchair I rented last time for a short medical related trip was just so uncomfortable. She actually has a cold pack of some sort for insulin. I'll look and see how long it keeps things at the right temp. I didn't think about the distance from the insulin. Thanks for mentioning it!

I was just able to upgrade our room to a CL Lagoon/pool view. That should help in getting a nice view! Now I'll try and see if we can get relatively close to lounge and elevators. :)

I was just able to upgrade our room to a CL Lagoon/pool view. That should help in getting a nice view! Now I'll try and see if we can get relatively close to lounge and elevators. :)

Club level rooms are able to purchase additional fast passes. For a trip like this those extra fast passes may work better than trying to rely fully on the DAS.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm thinking your response to #7 will be what we focus on the most. It really is a trip to spend time together, enjoy the atmosphere, and hopefully forget about cancer for a couple days. I'm not too concerned about getting a DAS because unfortunately there are many "issues" that will make waiting in a queue difficult but I'm not going to list them all here. Honestly, it's kinda like a WISH trip but for an adult and of course I'm footing the bill, but I don't want to focus too much on the cancer and the cants since the whole focus/purpose is to forget about it briefly. I do really want to make it special though if I can. Rides are not a primary focus but there are a couple things we will want to do like Soarin, Toy Story and IASW and JC and maybe Peter Pan (no thrill rides). Disappointing that there are no fireworks spots for disabled. I'll look into the dessert parties even though moms diabetes keeps her from being able to eat many sweets. Perhaps we will plan on enjoying fireworks from a resort (GF or Poly) instead. Even if we can't see the projections I think the less stress and maybe less crowds will make it better. We are trying to leave in about two weeks. It's really hard to plan ahead so we will have to be flexible with how mom feels and energy on any given day. Actually, the difficulty of planning is one of the reasons I think a DAS may be helpful vs FP. For instance, if nausea hits you just can't go until you take a Zofran and it passes then all is well again except at Disney while you were recovering your FP expired :/

Zofran is a life saver. If she does miss a FP because she feels sick then still go up to the CMat the FP ride you had let them know. Most of the time ( not all of the time) they will let you use your FP ( I have had this happen a number of times and I have never been told any). There are other things at the dessert party besides sweets, fruits ( which is just as bad as sweets but some people with diabetes feels it is better) and I think they had chess, I know some people use it just for the view and never eat anything. I have seen the fireworks from the resorts it is still fun but not as good. If your mom is OK with sitting somewhere for about an hour you can find a spot up by one of the railing ( she will not have a perfect view) but you should be able to see a good bit of the castle ( and if she can stand for the show then she will be able to see more of the show.) And yes I think Disney should have an area for people with Disabilities.

As fair as the DAS goes I will not say if you will get one or not but I would sit down and think of things she might need help with in line like i said before if it has anything to do with sitting standing ( something a wheelchair or other mobility device they will say no) and the only things a DAS does is it allows you to wait out side the line it does nothings to help with the line like stoping moving walkways avoiding steps these are things you have to let the CM know when you are in line. If there is a ride you really want to. The 3 rides you have listed 2 of then ( IASW and sorning if you get to the park within 10-15 minute of it opening and you go straight there you should not have a long wait ( IASW you could more than likely 30 minutes to 60 after the park opens) With TSL opening soon a lot of people are not getting FP even 60+ days out and this one the line does build very fast HS maybe more about the atmosphere and show then the rides for you. ( but I would keep looking even day of as you never know what plans change.

Just wondering if one of your concerns that she is inline could she take the Zofrain before she get in a long line ( and take it early enough that is starts to work) Also even with a FP your wait can be very long I would suggest you bring something so she can get sick in if you find your self-stuck in line.

@mamabunny just posted this on another thread and you might want to look into getting some for your mom ( my friend has some and they are very small and work very well). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XS6T595?tag=vglnk-c911-20

Just wanted to say that I hope that your Mom and your family have a trip filled with incredible and lasting memories! May her treatment continue to go well and may she feel refreshed and rested during her trip.:rose: ENJOY every moment of your special trip.:dance3:

I echo what many have already said. Having been to WDW with someone actively going through chemo I will say one thing extra. Please do not hold back when telling the GR exactly WHAT you need. They are so helpful but they really need to know your needs. When we told them that my friend probably would not be able to stay in the park for a long period due to pain and exhaustion they not only gave her the normal DAS but they gave everyone in her group three extra immediate FP's so she would be able to enjoy a few extra things before she had to leave the park. It was something that really helped make our time together extra special. We were able to get into a few more things that we wouldn't have had the time to do. I pray your time time together is filled special times that will make amazing memories.

Traci

I echo what many have already said. Having been to WDW with someone actively going through chemo I will say one thing extra. Please do not hold back when telling the GR exactly WHAT you need. They are so helpful but they really need to know your needs. When we told them that my friend probably would not be able to stay in the park for a long period due to pain and exhaustion they not only gave her the normal DAS but they gave everyone in her group three extra immediate FP's so she would be able to enjoy a few extra things before she had to leave the park. It was something that really helped make our time together extra special. We were able to get into a few more things that we wouldn't have had the time to do. I pray your time time together is filled special times that will make amazing memories.

Traci
I am so glad that you received a big dose of pixie dust, but this is not a usual response from Guest Relations. It would be wonderful is OP could also have such luck, but she should be prepared in case this doesn't happen. As her mother has issues other than mobility, there is a chance she will be given a DAS, but no one can guarantee that. Concerning the moving walkways, as someone has already said, they cannot be slowed or stopped. In fact, the peoplemover (can you tell Disneyland was my first park?) in Tomorrowland (a fairly gentle ride your mom might have enjoyed) has a steep moving walkway unsuitable for wheelchairs/ECVs, so she can't ride it unless she can stand on the moving walkway and step in and out of the ride vehicle.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm thinking your response to #7 will be what we focus on the most. It really is a trip to spend time together, enjoy the atmosphere, and hopefully forget about cancer for a couple days. I'm not too concerned about getting a DAS because unfortunately there are many "issues" that will make waiting in a queue difficult but I'm not going to list them all here. I do really want to make it special though if I can. Rides are not a primary focus but there are a couple things we will want to do like Soarin, Toy Story and IASW and JC and maybe Peter Pan (no thrill rides). Disappointing that there are no fireworks spots for disabled. I'll look into the dessert parties even though moms diabetes keeps her from being able to eat many sweets. Perhaps we will plan on enjoying fireworks from a resort (GF or Poly) instead. Even if we can't see the projections I think the less stress and maybe less crowds will make it better. We are trying to leave in about two weeks. It's really hard to plan ahead so we will have to be flexible with how mom feels and energy on any given day. Actually, the difficulty of planning is one of the reasons I think a DAS may be helpful vs FP. For instance, if nausea hits you just can't go until you take a Zofran and it passes then all is well again except at Disney while you were recovering your FP expired :/
walkway at Peter Pan can not be slowed down.

Traci

Thank you. We will be honest and tell them her needs. I hate that we have to start our trip by going to guest services and listing a bunch of negative things but it is what it is. I really appreciate everyone's advice and you all taking the time to respond. I will say that those telling me to be aware or advise that we may not get a DAS have perhaps not been around someone undergoing chemo for such a long time and facing such difficulties as someone with pancreatic cancer. If she doesn't qualify I don't know what it is even there for. We are making the FPs we can and although it's kinda difficult last minute to find things like Toy Story during the limited time we will be at the park, regardless we will enjoy every moment we can!

Thank you. We will be honest and tell them her needs. I hate that we have to start our trip by going to guest services and listing a bunch of negative things but it is what it is. I really appreciate everyone's advice and you all taking the time to respond. I will say that those telling me to be aware or advise that we may not get a DAS have perhaps not been around someone undergoing chemo for such a long time and facing such difficulties as someone with pancreatic cancer. If she doesn't qualify I don't know what it is even there for. We are making the FPs we can and although it's kinda difficult last minute to find things like Toy Story during the limited time we will be at the park, regardless we will enjoy every moment we can!
If you can not find a FP for a ride keep looking FP pop up all the time even day of. I know soon there will be no FP for TSMM. but I just looked and there were quite a few times still left in March. Not sure howmany people are going but if you can not find one for the whole group try brakeing it up in like 2 and 2 and try for an over laping time ( so for example one group has it from 10:00-11 and the other has it from 10:30- 11:30 and so you canall ride at 10:30-11 together.

So that you will not need to list a lot of negitive things first things when you get there I would just focuse on things your mom will need in Line that a wheelchair or other mobility device will not handle. You do not have to say your Mom DX if you do not want to. You can just say we have concerns for my mom being in line because of ( list the things that you are concernd about in line) I find going in and sayingI need a DAS the CM is less liley to give one out to you, but going in and saying your concerns as they have to do with being in the acture line helps most. There are a number of people with Disabilities that do not need a DAS card so even if your mom has a disability does not mean that a DAS is 100% ( and no I am not saying either way about a DAS for your mom as I do not know all her needs.

Some other tips from people I know that have been down and gone through cancer treatment. ( and I know everyone is different so I do not know if these will help your mom)

Do a ride then a show or a ride you can stay in a wheelchair if you feel tired

bring a small umbrella or a big brim hat to keep the sun off you.

cooling towels and mister and fains help with the heat

make sure you eat and stay hydrated if you think you had enough water drink some more ( and add power aid every now and then too)

Last edited:

I have been to WDW about 14 times over the last 15 years with friends or family (or myself) dealing with chemo treatments or some other treatment. I have seen the pendulum swing all the way from one end (where anyone could walk in and tell the CM's that they needed a DAS and got one) to the other end (where they did not give them out to anyone practically). I have seen over the last year or two that the pendulum is starting to settle somewhere back toward the middle. I hope that people don't start taking advantage again and cause it to become harder for those of us who really need the "extra dose of pixie dust" :)

I definitely did not mean that you needed to go in and tell them everything that is going on. Just make sure they understand your concerns and your needs "worried about being able to make it for long in park because of exhaustion due to an illness or treatment" or something along those lines. Like others have said, mobility alone isn't always a reason for them to give out one as they have the ability to keep her in a wheelchair up to getting on a ride. MK will have the most hiccups I think as it was built before the ADA came out and they didn't build things to account for that. However, they have done amazing things to help.

I again, pray that once you get there your trip creates some wonderful memories.

I don't know if you have even thought of this but I have rented an EVC for two of my trips when my knees were bad. I just drove it into the handicapped line, they asked if I could transfer and it was all really easy. I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for someone with a wheelchair. The fireworks are very crowded but if you want to see HEA, which I highly recommend, just so beautiful...you can watch it from Crystal Palace where they park the strollers. It's not a perfect view but good enough to enjoy and there was hardly anyone standing there. This is going to be super fun! Take your time and just let her enjoy everything....you don't have to do it all for it to be the best trip ever!

"worried about being able to make it for long in park because of exhaustion due to an illness or treatment" or something along those lines.

Actually, that is not likely to get a DAS. DAS is not intended to allow more to be done in less time. Stamina issues will be told to use a wheelchair.

OP - for a DAS, you should be prepared to tell Guest Relations of her needs specifically related to waiting in a standard queue environment. If the needs can be met using a mobility device, that will be the accommodation. If there are other needs not met by using a wheelchair in line, those are the needs to mention.

I wish for you some special memories on a special vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!