Bringing coffee (with lid) on WDW transportation?

YawningDodo

DIS Veteran
I know there's a no food/drink policy on WDW buses, but if you have a full mug of coffee with a lid on it that you keep closed, will they stop you from taking it on with you? I plan to test out how I feel about carrying my resort refillable mug during park days, and I'm wondering whether coffee to go is one of the potential perks of doing so. Not planning on drinking it while on the bus.

The main reason I'm going to try it is because I'm staying in a Little Mermaid room at AoA and I want to be able to get a drink last thing/first thing when leaving or entering the resort without having to go back to my room; I want to try carrying it with me on my first day to decide whether the inconvenience of having it clipped to my bag is outweighed by the benefit of reducing the back and forth trek when I leave and arrive. I know there's been plenty of discussion about whether it's worth carrying a mug and a lot of people come down on the side of "no," but I figure the worst that happens is I try it for a day, decide it's too annoying, and change my strategy going forward from there. I'm really just interested in knowing whether I can get a drink to go or if I need to empty the mug before I get on transportation. Has anyone tried it?

I did this one morning on my way to a park, and ended up dropping my full mug of coffee (I was standing on the bus as all of the seats were occupied), and the lid popped off and spilled the entire thing all over the floor. I decided to take my mug empty the rest of the time since I can't be trusted to hang onto it. :)

I never knew there was a policy against bringing the mugs on the bus! We always fill ours before waiting for the bus and before the no loose ice policy always had a cooler full of ice and cold drinks. Yes, I've been known to drink out of my mug while traveling on bus.

Huh! I googled it and the Parks Moms Panel said no food or drink...on the one hand it seemed like a likely rule, on the other hand I should know better by now than to trust their answers. Looking at the WDW site it looks like it just says no alcohol.

I believe there are signs ( or at least there used to be) on the buses that said no food or drink. Probably due to spillage and stickiness.

they ask you not to eat to drink while on the bus, but I have never had an issue taking my mug on the bus - one morning the bus driver asked it it was a hot or cold drink morning (we had had the same driver like 5 times already that trip)

they arent going to stop you and make you pour it out - just make sure the lid has snapped on all the way and you will be fine. We also take a 2 gallon ziplock bag to put them in in our. backpack when we are done

We take drinks on the bus, bottled water, and bottled or canned drinks, juice boxes... in our back pack... or in day bag.... we have even taken a sip of the said drinks...

The thing for me is you never know how crowded a bus can get, or whether you will be standing on the bus... and hot coffee can burn you and other guest, if it was to spill, or you get knocked about and drop the whole mug... if it does spill how would you clean it up?

For me I would not take hot coffee on a bus, there are to many kid's on the bus, I just would not want to burn anyone....

We've brought coffee/drinks on WDW transportation probably 40 times. We've never had an issue. Though, thinking back, I'm surprised that I never spilled, considering I also had a stroller, backpack and 2 young kids on a crowded bus.

We take drinks on the bus, bottled water, and bottled or canned drinks, juice boxes... in our back pack... or in day bag.... we have even taken a sip of the said drinks...

The thing for me is you never know how crowded a bus can get, or whether you will be standing on the bus... and hot coffee can burn you and other guest, if it was to spill, or you get knocked about and drop the whole mug... if it does spill how would you clean it up?

For me I would not take hot coffee on a bus, there are to many kid's on the bus, I just would not want to burn anyone....
I'm not concerned about scalding myself or anyone else, since I always put a little ice or cold water in my coffee--if it's hot enough to injure me, I don't want it. :p It's a fair point about the mess, though, since if it gets dropped it's absolutely going to go everywhere. I just plan to be careful, I guess; I don't carry other things in my hands in general so I shouldn't be juggling it with other stuff.

I take a disposable coffee cup with a lid every morning of my vacation on the bus. Sometimes I bring one in the evening too. Not once have I been told I couldn't take my drink.

I think we've had a disposable coffee cup in our hands almost every morning of every Disney trip. I see others with them on the bus often as well....I think this is a non-issue.

I routinely bring my mug of coffee with me on the buses, and to echo what others are saying no bus driver has ever said a word. If it’s a crowded bus I will just keep it completely closed until I get off and then take a leisurely stroll to bag check while I drink it. If it’s not crowded I’ll take a few swigs. I like having it during the day at the parks - I wash it out in the restroom sink then use it for whatever leftover beverage I might have from say a sit down lunch, or for something like a Goofy Glacier that I couldn’t drink too quickly because I would die of brain freeze.

I brought tea with a lid. I absentmindedly sipped it while riding the bus and the bus driver made such a scene about it. Then he cracked jokes about it before I got off the bus. I'll never do that again. He actually really embarrassed me. I wasn't very happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!