Bringing alcohol on board

CyndiLouWho

DIS Veteran
We’ve never cruised before so not totally clear on rules here. We’re cruising to Alaska next year. I was reading about a distillery in Juneau and wondering if we’d be able to bring hard liquor back on board. And how much?

We’ve never cruised before so not totally clear on rules here. We’re cruising to Alaska next year. I was reading about a distillery in Juneau and wondering if we’d be able to bring hard liquor back on board. And how much?
If you purchase hard liquor in a port, you must turn it in when you reboard to be held until the last day.

Then, you pick it BEFORE you get off the ship on debarkation morning to take home.

The basic alcohol policy is each adult 21 and over may bring onboard 2 bottles of wine/champagne (750 ml max) OR 6 beers (12 oz max each). This allotment may be brought onboard on embarkation as well as from ports of call.

Hard liquor is not allowed to be brought onboard for personal consumption. But will be held for you until the cruise is over.

If you purchase hard liquor in a port, you must turn it in when you reboard to be held until the last day.

Then, you pick it BEFORE you get off the ship on debarkation morning to take home.

The basic alcohol policy is each adult 21 and over may bring onboard 2 bottles of wine/champagne (750 ml max) OR 6 beers (12 oz max each). This allotment may be brought onboard on embarkation as well as from ports of call.

Hard liquor is not allowed to be brought onboard for personal consumption. But will be held for you until the cruise is over.
I know the limits for consumption but is there a limit for the amount of hard liquor they can hold for you?

I know the limits for consumption but is there a limit for the amount of hard liquor they can hold for you?

How are you getting to and from Vancouver? If I recall correctly, airlines limit you to 5 Liters per person in checked baggage, so that may decide the limit for what you can bring onto the ship.

Depending on where you live, the places you visit may be able to ship it to your home.

I’m just thinking of a couple bottles. We’re flying back to Chicago so I wouldn’t take more than a few bottles, but wasn’t sure if we were limited to one bottle or something.

I’m just thinking of a couple bottles. We’re flying back to Chicago so I wouldn’t take more than a few bottles, but wasn’t sure if we were limited to one bottle or something.
Oh, no. You can have more than one or two. Pretty much, it's whatever you want to handle. You'll be hand carrying it off the ship, but for flying it has to be packed in your checked bags.

I purchased a fair amount of wine (had too many free samples at the tasting!) at a winery once. They were setup to box the bottles so that I could check the box along with my checked luggage - even had a little handle so I could carry it. I think there were 12 bottles. Did I mention I had a little too much at the tasting? Any way, you may want to ask if they can package it up for you.

i'd just buy it and have them ship it. that's what I do in Napa - much easier than carrying it back on the flight. I used to use a special foam packed suitcase that could accommodate 12 bottles of wine, but, as I said, it's just easier to have them ship it.

That's what we did; mailed it out of Vancouver upon disembarking. BTW, Canada Mail has some strange options when mailing a package. Especially for travelers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter