Bring a Stroller or Rent One?

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
I don't know where I will stand on this issue when the time comes, BUT, I don't know how your strollers stay "safe" when you park them while you're going on a ride. We're getting a $$$ stroller (Peg Perego) and I can't imagine bringing it to WDW! I'd be too paranoid that it would get stolen.

What do you do? Buy a cheap umbrella stroller? Get a lock like a bicycle? Label the stroller with your name and resort? Or do you simply rent one each day you are in a park? I don't think I would mind renting one. I don't care about the extra $$$. I was just wondering what everyone else does.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

When our son was younger, we brought our own stroller, an inexpensive umbrella stroller from Target. I think it was $14 brand new. Course this was about 7 or 8 years ago. We never brought the larger stroller because it was just too bulky. And the cheaper ones don't seem to interest people looking at strollers. You can buy two or three inexpensive strollers for the price of the rentals after a few days.

The umbrella stroller can be folded up to carry onto the buses or monorail or boat easily. You can't take the rentals out of the park. So if your darling is asleep, you have to carry them. You at least keep them in the stroller until you get on the transportation.

I'm a "bring your own stroller" person.

We've gone 3 times so far and always brought a cheap, yet comfy umbrella stroller. They have some lightweight strollers now that even have a basket and still fold up small.

I can't see:

Waiting in the rental lines.
Spending money on the rental.
Not having a stroller at DD or the resorts etc...where you can't have a rental stroller.
Not having a stroller at the airport.

Of course, this is IMHO.

To each his own.

We usually rent a stroller - only because I thought it would be a hard to fit in the car trunk, or a hassle to fly with. In Nov/Dec of 2000, I decided I would bring my umbrella stroller rather than rent, and it was so easy to check on the plane. And, it was nice to have the stroller to walk around at the resort. This past Nov/Dec, I had purchased a nicer umbrella stroller, with a basket underneath, and again, it was great. We've never had a problem with our stroller being taken (only once I couldn't find my rented stroller and just got a replacement).

We've also left a "bag" with just a change of clothes and our refillable mug and have also never had a problem with anything being fooled with. My DD sometimes leaves her hat in the buggy or even the mister fan; we've never had a problem.

We rented.

We have a two and a three year old, so we would have needed to bring two or a double. We don't own a double (we use a wagon at home) and neither of my kids like the umbrella strollers. Both would generally rather walk (especially my son).

The lines weren't bad. When the park opens they do a "stroller express" thing, where if you have cash, you pay and then there isn't any anything to do but swing through and pick up the stroller. The whole thing took maybe three minutes - certainly the shortest line we waited in.

It was a disadvantage to have to carry or have the kids walk to the park from the transportation. It wasn't too bad, we had four adults and two kids, but it wasn't easy either - particularly at the end of the day, when the kids are pretty tired and so are you.

The strollers at MGM were lousy, but the kids enjoyed the strollers rented by the other parks.

And stroller rental wasn't cheap.

But we didn't have to shlep strollers in addition to our other baggage around an airport, didn't worry about losing it.

I would say that it depends on how much you would use an umbrella stoller at home and how long your trip is.

I have rented for my sister (5yo first trip) the last two years even though at $7/day I could have bought at decent stoller.

My reasons:
1. We don't live together and I have no use for a stoller and she never uses one at home.

2. Her stoller handles are too low for my pushing comfort so I end up hunched over and kicking the wheels.

3. I just like the convenience of getting a stroller when we want and need it. (I particularly like not having it at the airport. Since it is just the two of us I already have my hands full with luggage, etc.)

If you are going to need it all of the time, have multiple people to help you carry things and have use for it at home, I would agree with the other posters who have recommended just buying an umbrella stroller for the trip.

We traveled with DS's ages 5 & 18 mos on a land and sea vacation - 4 nights at the poly and 3 on the Wonder. We knew that was a lot of traveling with two little ones, so we opted to bring a stroller. Our big one was too big, and our little one was too icky, so we spent $30.00 on the Kolcraft Jungle Fun stroller. We got it at ToysRUs. We liked it because it weighs under 10 lbs, was inexpensive, has a basket, a canopy and a removable tray with drink holder. What I don't like about it is that DH and I are both tall, so we had to buy entension handles. If you are over 5'6", this may be a consideration unless you want to be hunched over all day. (If you want to see the stroller, I found a picture of it here: )

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...545/br=1-6/ref=br_lf_ba_6/002-6129070-6447254

We also got an organizer from One Step Ahead that was wonderful! It was insulated and hung onto the stroller handles. It easily carried everything we needed for the day. I've used it a ton since we got back from the trip! Ok...might as well give you the link to that one too:

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.js...RODUCT&iMainCat=117&iSubCat=12&iProductID=690

What we didn't count on was renting a stroller for our 5 year old, even though everyone at the boards here knew better! He loved the stollers in the parks (except for MGMs!) and so we ended up spending that $6.00/day regardless! And seriously, we couldn't have logged as much territory if we hadn't strolled both of them.

Gee! I thought this was going to be a short post! HA!!

We brought our own strollers primarily because they fold back so the girls can sleep (I have 17 month old twin girls- we first went with them when they were 10 mos old). I had no problems with anyone fooling around with them. I took a bicycle chain & locked them together so if anyone tried to tke one they would get both! It also helped to have my strollers in the airports since the girls' carriers snapped right into the strollers. As the girls get bigger I will probably bring their umbrella strollers - they only cost 6 bucks so if I do lose them it isn't that bad! :):)

I liked bringing our own stroller (umbrella type) for many reasons, mainly: having it outside of the theme parks, at the airport (I used gate check), walking to and from the theme parks to our hotel (Epcot area). It was a real life saver. I wouldn't dream of renting when it was SO easy to bring my own. Hope this helps.

We've been several times to wdw with our 6 children and if you have 1 child of stroller age, I'd take a small stroller. Last year on this discussion board, others recommended a Combi SUBV and we ordered it online for around $50. It was great, very light and compact but sturdier than what we'd seen in our local stores. If you have older kids but under 10 years, you can rent a single or double stroller at the park (especially EPCOT). We've never had anyone bother our stroller, personal or rented. I'd advise against taking a large stroller, its a killer on disney transportation.

We have a 2 & 3 year old. They each had their own umbrella stroller and in the MK we would usually park the strollers by Dumbo or the Carousel and then walk to all the Fantasyland rides. We never had a problem with the stroller being missing. We pondered renting but it always seemed like just another chore, plus it is handy to have the strollers outside the park.

Also, I would go with the umbrella strollers as they are much easier to maneuver thru the park. Try to find one with an attached pouch or small tray underneath.

PS - We found that many others had the same stroller as we did, so we marked ours with a bright ribbon just so we could find it easier when we parked it.

What are your suggestions with 2 kids ages 4 and 2½? Would you buy a double umbrella, 2 singles, or just 1 single and maybe rent one if needed? My 2+ yo DS now (who will be 4 when we go) really likes to walk all the time but from reading the advice from others, it will probably be a good idea to have something for him also.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

We use a double umbrella stroller. We find that the best for our 2 DD's.

My husband doesn't like the idea of both of us having to push strollers. With one we can take turns.

Here's one that looks nice:

double umbrella stroller

We have the Kolkraft double umbrella stroller for $55 at Target. Only down side, no baskets. I just attached the netting bags to the back, though and it works great!

Good luck

We ALWAYS bring our own stroller. It is a PEG Perego Pliko Sherpa and now we have the Sherpa Trek. We have never locked it up, but I may on this trip since we are going in July and the parks are so crowded then.

Our first trip in '98, we rented--lugging our 1 and 2 yo DD's after a long day at the parks, was not fun. I was also 14 weeks pregnant at the time, so my DH didn't want me carrying them!! But I had to, they couldn't walk from the parks to the buses! After that, we always brought our own. I would not rent again until they are at least 4 yo!! LOL!!

Scanne, what type of PEG Perego are you getting? This will definitley be the deciding factor on whether you can bring it to WDW with you.

Congrats on your little prince!! I have four girls and am still hoping I can convince my DH to go for one more!! Maybe we'll get a boy next time around....

On our last trip, we brought along an umbrella stroller for my 4 year old son. Into the 2nd day, it broke. Rented from then on. Had no problem with the rental except for the trip back to the resort with no stroller. It would have been nice to have a stroller since we had to carry an exhausted, sleeping child all the way back.

We have a Maclaren Techno (ie $300 stroller....I didn't pay that much though...got lucky). I have never locked it up in the parks. I won't take it to downtown disney though...because I hear that's where most stroller theft takes place.

Mark your stroller clearly and personally and visibly attach your name, address and phone on it in a way that can't be easily removed. This will deter any potential thief.

Apparently there is a market for stolen strollers in resale shops in the Orlando area....clearly marking the stroller in a non-removable way as a "tourist" stroller will be the best deterrrent. Plus, don't leave it where thieves are known to operate.

My biggest insurance that mine won't be stolen is the broken brake! Haven't gotten around to getting it repaired yet (the brakes still function...its more an inconvenience thing....). But its got virtually no resale value...:D

Here's a link to Deb Will's site which includes photos of the park strollers: link

When we had one DD, we bought a $19 stroller (it had a basket and canopy). It was great. We just bought a double umbrella stroller for our two DDs (will be age 3 and 10 months). It was only $55 at Target. It will be much cheaper than renting.

Even if it gets stolen after a few days, it would be worth the cost.

Thanks for all of your tips on the strollers. I know my husband scoffed at the idea of having to buy another stroller (we have one single and one Graco Duo-Glider double), but maybe this will convince him on the cost. I think our current double stroller is too much to bring along and an umbrella stroller will fit the bill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter