Bridge over Kirkman

Please let me know if this has been open I'm considering the Double Tree or Hilton near be during Dec visit.

Ugh, hate to hear that it is still not open. Plan on going across the road to eat and really dont relish driving just to cross the street, but with mom there will be no mad dashes.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn across from Universal this past weekend (1/17/20 - 1/19/20). I haven't been in a few years and was surprised to see a brand new pedestrian bridge. The bridge looked fully completed, but had a plastic barrier at the bottom of each side preventing access with a sign saying "Sidewalk Closed."

When I walked back to the hotel late at night on Saturday the 18th, I noticed that the barrier was pulled to the side and there was a large gap so I took my chances and walked right on and across. I truly cannot understand why the bridge isn't open.

And just because I was a curious, I am a fast walker and it took me approximately 400 steps and 2 minutes and 45 seconds to walk from one side to the other (and jump the barrier on the other side :rolleyes1)

I wonder if there is some sort of required inspection that hasn't been performed yet on it for whatever reason? It does seem it has been completed for a long time. I usually walk to the Doubletree or Holiday Inn to pick up a rental car, will be doing that again in a few weeks, although I have no problem just using the crosswalk.

Who can we call? Never figured when it was basically finished last May, that it still wouldnt be open 9 months later. Looks like driving it is. Thanks all for the updates.

Who can we call? Never figured when it was basically finished last May, that it still wouldnt be open 9 months later. Looks like driving it is. Thanks all for the updates.
Have you been there before? There is a traffic light and a crosswalk. It's not really a mad dash, but a fast walk and some observation required.

Your comment above about going across the road to eat doesn't really fit with where this bridge is. It is across Kirkman between the parks and hotels. Are you planning to go from the Universal Parks to eat across Kirkman? There are several moderately priced places at Citywalk.

Last edited:

Does anyone know if or when the pedestrian bridge over Kirkman Road will be open? Thinking of booking a stay at the Holiday Inn across the street from Universal and the opening date of this bridge may sway our decision.

Also wondering if anyone knows if there are steps or ramps or elevators or all of the above to get up and down from the bridge to street level?

TIA!!!
If they enough crossing guards to have 1 person with a stop sign with red flashing lights on it to help people cross that street 12 hours a day, 365 days a year. After 200 years it would still cost less than what it cost to build that bridge

We ended up staying on site for our trip so I don't know lol. I did notice when we drove past it that it looked like there was yellow caution tape around the entrances. That was in September.

Does anyone know where the Millers Ale House is on Kirkman in relation to this bridge? Has anyone ever walked there from UO before? Secretly hoping this bridge would somehow help lol

Does anyone know where the Millers Ale House is on Kirkman in relation to this bridge? Has anyone ever walked there from UO before? Secretly hoping this bridge would somehow help lol

We`ve never walked it, but you do see plenty of people walking that route from the hotels around the Ale House area.

There is a crossing folks use too across the main roads too.

It is open now. We saw people walking on it several times on our last trip.

We last stayed at Doubletree in March 2019 and crossed that road a few times...but thought how great when the bridge opens. I came here to see if anyone posted about it recently and it sounds like FINALLY it is officially open. We have another one night stay coming up in March so I was hoping we would actually get to use it this time.

I'm here now and the pedestrian bridge is closed. People are using the crosswalk and light to cross Kirkman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!