Breakfast options / convince me I don't need a meal plan

YawningDodo

DIS Veteran
Howdy again!

I'm all booked for my November visit to Disneyland Paris, and now I'm working on filling in the trickier parts of my budget...like food. Now, I know I've been advised against the meal plan, but the math I'm seeing is that each buffet is likely to run me 30 euros, including breakfast buffets (bummer that it's no longer included with your stay! and no, there weren't any Golden Forest rooms available on the deal I booked). The half-board standard meal plan is listed on the American DLP site at $45 per day, which according to Google is roughly 37 euros -- so if I assume that I'm going to eat two buffets every day, that sounds like a screaming deal!

...But do I really need to have access to two buffets per day? (Also, am I just missing something??) I priced out counter service lunches from one or two random locations in the parks and landed on an average of 18 euros per meal. If I eat two of those per day, that's 36 euros. I'll assume for the sake of argument that I'm only eating two meals per day and supplementing with snacks regardless of whether or not I get the meal plan, which would mean that the price is looking pretty close to equal either way (I'm really unlikely to do much or maybe even any table service dining in DLP; I'm just not interested enough to justify the time and cost).

So that brings it down to dining options and flexibility. My understanding is that 1.) I'm going to want to make reservations for all my meals if I eat at the buffets (and I'm not thrilled about that because I like to keep my schedule flexible), but 2.) I should be there in the off-season unless I've massively miscalculated, which should hopefully make things less hectic at mealtimes (??). I know that the standard half-board is limited in terms of restaurants included, but I'm not sure how much I mind that outside being a little concerned about inconvenience (I'm not worrying too much about trying to get any specific meals in at DLP since I've got some really special dining experiences planned in London for the next week after my DLP visit).

To get more specific, it brings me to the question of breakfast. The big appeal of the meal plan for me right now is that it includes breakfast...but now that the hotel breakfast buffets are no longer included with your stay, are there better options available? If I have to pay for breakfast either way, are there other places I can go on property to get something to eat before the parks open? How convenient or inconvenient would it be to eat my breakfasts, say, in Disney Village?

It depends on what you like to eat for breakfast and how much.
I cant remember where you are staying but am assuming possibly Sequoia Lodge as you mentioned Golden Forest

If Im correct and you buy the meal plan (as in dont get it free in an offer) then the breakfast will be in your hotel. In SL this will be a buffet but cold items only - pastries, cold meats, cheese, bread, jams, cereals etc.

Since they stopped including breakfast they have started serving breakfasts in most places in the Village and some hotels now have a Starbucks as well which does pastries in the morning.
We went last December and didnt have the plan - we just grabbed a pastry in one of the places in the village if we wanted something.
Off the top of my head in the Village you have -
McDonalds has breakfast items and Annettes does an American breakfast platter.
Earl of Sandwich had a breakfast menu with a few choices
Sports bar and Starbucks did options with a drink and pastry/bread

There are also a few places on Mainstreet where you can buy a pastry

I took some items with me - cereal bars/pre packed pain au chocolat so most days just grabbed one of those and ate it while walking round and then we had a CS meal for lunch

I would personally consider the plus meal plan rather than standard given that you’re staying at Sequoia Lodge, which has a plus restaurant. I also find that the food and ambience at these restaurants are so much nicer than the standard buffets. With the plus meal plan you can access much nicer buffets as well as some table service restaurants.

I would say whether or not a meal plan is worth it depends on what you are planning to eat. If you want a buffet breakfast, it is better value. If you are happy having a croissant or breakfast burger from a quick service restaurant then not so much.

I’ve found that for us, a buffet breakfast and evening meal means we only need a small snack for lunch. I would look at the menus of where you want to eat and work out how much it would cost with and without the meal plan.

Oh, and Sequoia Lodge now has both a hot and cold breakfast buffet- this was implemented soon after removing the free hotel breakfasts with every stay.

Oh, and Sequoia Lodge now has both a hot and cold breakfast buffet- this was implemented soon after removing the free hotel breakfasts with every stay.

Thats good to know. Ive not stayed at SL since they changed the breakfast options. Do all hotels have this or just SL upwards? I know NY and DLH always had it previously)

Sounds like I have more math ahead of me after all. I was remarking to my housemate that I'll probably spend more overall if I go out of pocket than standard half-board, since I'll still want to eat at least once or twice at a buffet or at my hotel's restaurant. On the other hand, the flexibility of not prearranging anything appeals. I'll have to set up a tab in my budgeting spreadsheet to work out what the actual costs are depending on where I eat, I think, but....

I kind of like the idea of a buffet breakfast because I can fill up early and not need to eat a full lunch, but knowing my typical habits I may not be willing and able to eat a heavy meal first thing in the morning every day. I tend to like to graze in general when I'm on vacation, which does sort of push me toward a more counter service-focused approach. I don't know. I'll revisit the numbers.

We booked, Newport Bay in a Compass club room, plus it included free half board plus, we booked though the UK site, for us booking this way was a lot less then booking through the US site....

Originally we planned to book at Sequoia Lodge, standard room with 2 double bed for package was 1,800.00 US... when I booked through the UK site we ended up booking Newport Bay Compass club Lakeview, which included "a hot American breakfast in the club room" which I checked out on YouTube. Park tickets, Half board plus....Also our package includes tea time in the club room from 4 to 6 which is great which includes savory and sweet snacks... ... and 1 extra fast pass per person per day... all in at 2,000.00 US so it only was 200.00 dollar more for the upgrades and I feel this was a great deal for us. I booked with our Amex which does not charge a transaction fee for charges outside the US...

So you might want to check the other countries websites to see what is offered and might work in your favor... just a thought....

We booked, Newport Bay in a Compass club room, plus it included free half board plus, we booked though the UK site, for us booking this way was a lot less then booking through the US site....

Originally we planned to book at Sequoia Lodge, standard room with 2 double bed for package was 1,800.00 US... when I booked through the UK site we ended up booking Newport Bay Compass club Lakeview, which included "a hot American breakfast in the club room" which I checked out on YouTube. Park tickets, Half board plus....Also our package includes tea time in the club room from 4 to 6 which is great which includes savory and sweet snacks... ... and 1 extra fast pass per person per day... all in at 2,000.00 US so it only was 200.00 dollar more for the upgrades and I feel this was a great deal for us. I booked with our Amex which does not charge a transaction fee for charges outside the US...

So you might want to check the other countries websites to see what is offered and might work in your favor... just a thought....

I did previously do that, thank you, and the American site gave me the best deal. I strongly suspect that the reason it came out that way is that the 25% off + half-board deal that was available through the UK and German sites is probably better if you're booking for multiple people, as the savings on food are much more substantial when you've got more than one person eating (similarly, I'd make up less of the cost difference of a Golden Forest or Compass Club room by eating in the club room than would a party of 2 or more). As a solo traveler, my price comparisons had me coming out furthest ahead on the "4 nights for the price of 2" deal I booked via the American DLP site even after I factored in the cost of buying the half-board for comparison.

Anyway, the reservation's made and I'm quite happy with the deal I got, so I'd like to focus on the question of meal plan or no meal plan.

I did previously do that, thank you, and the American site gave me the best deal. I strongly suspect that the reason it came out that way is that the 25% off + half-board deal that was available through the UK and German sites is probably better if you're booking for multiple people, as the savings on food are much more substantial when you've got more than one person eating (similarly, I'd make up less of the cost difference of a Golden Forest or Compass Club room by eating in the club room than would a party of 2 or more). As a solo traveler, my price comparisons had me coming out furthest ahead on the "4 nights for the price of 2" deal I booked via the American DLP site even after I factored in the cost of buying the half-board for comparison.

Anyway, the reservation's made and I'm quite happy with the deal I got, so I'd like to focus on the question of meal plan or no meal plan.

I guess I missed the solo trip part, sorry... My point was if you could get it for "free" which nothing is free it's just how the offer is tiered... might work out better for you, then you could skip all the extra math.

I think the meal plan might workout well for you, this way you will have meals built into your vacation, and will be paid for in advance... This way you get what you want, and not worry about the cost at the time of dinning... We feel that dinning is part of the magic of Disney... not that the food quality or service are not important, but the experience should be included into the equations.

I guess I missed the solo trip part, sorry... My point was if you could get it for "free" which nothing is free it's just how the offer is tiered... might work out better for you, then you could skip all the extra math.

I think the meal plan might workout well for you, this way you will have meals built into your vacation, and will be paid for in advance... This way you get what you want, and not worry about the cost at the time of dinning... We feel that dinning is part of the magic of Disney... not that the food quality or service are not important, but the experience should be included into the equations.

The difficulty is that the standard half-board meal plan actually makes my restaurant options more limited rather than less...if I go entirely out of pocket I may end up paying more, but I'll have more flexibility to enjoy the dining I want to enjoy instead of only eating at the buffets, which may grow tiresome. Depending on where I plan to eat, the next tier up on the meal plan may or may not save me money. Anyway, I don't mind the math, really; I've got more than 8 months until the trip and the planning stage is when I figure all of this stuff out. Once I've figured out how much I can expect to spend, I put that much (plus some wiggle) in my budget, and cost doesn't really worry me while I'm on the trip because I know exactly what's available to me.

I'm still going to do the math, but I'm starting to feel more and more like going out of pocket will make me feel the least constricted. I worry that I won't be in the mood for buffet or table service twice per day, and I don't want to feel obligated to sit down and eat when I'd be just as happy grabbing something from a counter. I've done WDW quite a few times, and while I do like to build a couple fun sit-down meals into my schedule, eating that way twice per day every day has not been part of my touring style.

I'm starting to feel more and more like going out of pocket will make me feel the least constricted. I worry that I won't be in the mood for buffet or table service twice per day, and I don't want to feel obligated to sit down and eat when I'd be just as happy grabbing something from a counter. I've done WDW quite a few times, and while I do like to build a couple fun sit-down meals into my schedule, eating that way twice per day every day has not been part of my touring style.

Im a solo traveller and I never do the meal plans, for exactly this reason. The meal plans are geared for families, who want meals at regular times and basic food.

I usually plan one TS meal and the rest quick service or snacks.

It sounds like skipping the meal plan is probably best for you as it grants you more flexibility and the meal plan wouldn't save you enough to make a huge impact.

Like you, I do not like making meal reservations. I don't like planning around them. I like to eat when we are hungry or when it fits into our schedule. So, can that be done at the buffet's? For us, a party of 2, booking through the UK link gives us a better rate than the USA one, and it includes the half-board meal plan. So, do we have to reserve the buffet in advance? That's a hassle and not a perk!

It sounds like skipping the meal plan is probably best for you as it grants you more flexibility and the meal plan wouldn't save you enough to make a huge impact.

Like you, I do not like making meal reservations. I don't like planning around them. I like to eat when we are hungry or when it fits into our schedule. So, can that be done at the buffet's? For us, a party of 2, booking through the UK link gives us a better rate than the USA one, and it includes the half-board meal plan. So, do we have to reserve the buffet in advance? That's a hassle and not a perk!

The DLP website repeatedly warns on each restaurant's page that you should make advance reservations, including the breakfast buffets at the hotel. I've seen at least one post on this board from someone who went off season, didn't bother making reservations ahead of arrival, and did alright, but I'm not sure I'd trust my luck like that. It sounds like it's easier to get reservations week-of at DLP than at WDW, but it is still an advance dining reservation and...I'm kind of with you on it being a hassle.

So...I want to thank everyone who responded, and I hope that I don't look ungrateful by just sort of making up my own mind after nattering about it long enough, but it really is looking like I'm going to just not worry about getting a meal plan and not worry about whether it would save me money. While I do try to take as much into consideration as possible financially ahead of a trip, part of it is looking at whether it's a value for you in the sense of it enhancing your experience, and I'm feeling less and less like the meal plan would add to my sense of enjoyment given my personal taste in touring style.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter