Braille signs WRONG at IOA! Quite important.

Cindy B

<font color=blue>Have taken some furniture polish
Now whoever can help with this please forward this to the correct departments.

I will preface by saying I loved my trip, and was so impressed with IOA and Universal. The last time I went to Universal was at USH in 1985. So much has changed, and it is all good.

But however, one thing does need to be fixed at IOA.

As noted in the heading, the Braille signs are all wrong at IOA.
The mens room sign in the bathrooms across from Poseidon is spelled incorrectly. Instead of saying men, it is uncomprehensible. The braille for the M is an printed upside down, but the e and the n was correct.

Braille is a very exact language which uses the same set of raised patterns for numbers/letters/contractions/ and everything else. For example the letter a in braille, could also be a number 1 depending on how the pattern is prefaced.

My DH who reads Braille noticed this error, and and another error in the braille printing in the word Restroom in Mythos, and another slight error in the Spiderman single riders line.

A very scary fact, 90% of all signs are printed incorrectly in Braille, not just at IOA, Universal, but everywhere. In fact, in the blind community, all signs should be spelled out in Grade 1 braille, instead of using the shortened Grade 2 braille. For example, MEN or restroom should be spelled out completely, saying MEN and RESTROOM instead of abbreviated braille which is sometimes printed on the signs.

I know the management of USF/IOA would not want to be known as to having incorrect Braille signs. Unfortunately when Braille signs are ordered, there is no visually impaired/blind individual or cast members to "spell check" the signs.

We did stop at Guest Relations and just registered this concern we had.

I truly loved the park, and had a wonderful time. These errors did just cause concern to the blind visually impaired community.

While your information is indeed important, this board is not an company sponsored site. There are some Universal employees that hang around here, but we are here in a purely personal capacity, not representing the company. To get information to or from the company, you need to contact them directly at:

UNIVERSAL Orlando
1000 Universal Studios Plaza
Orlando, Florida 32819-7610
Attn: Guest Services

I don't see a feedback service on their website. Maybe someone has a direct email address. I'll be happy to pass it on, but in the future, please be certain to contact them directly.

Thanks, I know that some employees are here. I knew that it was in a purely "personal" matter, but wasnt sure what to do next. I'm sorry if I breached anything....

Wasnt exactly sure what to do next. I did look on the website, and wasnt exactly sure where to put this.

I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I will use all your suggestions, thanks.

Wouldn't someone who was blind always be with someone at the park anyway? It just seems like it would be a dangerous place to walk around by yourself if you couldn't see. Maybe the braille is just there to comply with some law and nobody bothers to check it because it's not really ever used...sort of like having braille at the drive-up ATM's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter