Bought a walker and now what do I do?

SlightlyGoofy

<font color=green>I shall be forced to take you on
Thanks to all of your great help I have now purchased a walker with seat to take to DW in a couple of weeks.

Now could someone please give me any hints on where and how I can use it without causing anyone else problems?:lovestruc

Can I fold it up and take it with me on some rides, if so, which ones?:thumbsup2

When I get to the bus if it is one of those kneeling buses I am thinking I can lift it on myself but there is no way I could do so on the taller buses. Do I get in line with the wheelchairs or will someone help me? I have a husband but while he is physically able he is not mentally able to help me and I have to watch out for him at the same time that I try to get around myself. Complications.:confused3

If they put it with the strollers, wheelchairs and such is there anything I need to do to make sure it does not disappear? I am thinking that I do NOT want to go with a Depends and some chocolate pudding as someone, who shall remain nameless, suggested.:rotfl:

Thank you so much in advance, Slightly Goofy

Take it with you through the line and leave it with the cm when you board the ride. They will give it to you when you exit the ride.

I would think that you could use the lifts, like a wheelchair. Just explain to the driver that it is too heavy for you to lift. Then you and your husband get on with it at the backdoor.

For attractions, you would use it through the lines, as Michigan mentioned.
If you board at the same place as you will exit, it will be sitting there waiting for you in the same place when you get off. For attractions where boarding is in one place and the unloading is in another place, CMs move mobility devices from the boarding area to the exit.

There may be a few attractions where you would want to fold it and bring it along in the ride vehicle with you, but for the most part, you would just bring it to boarding and the CMs will take care of it.

For your peace of mind ask the CM where the walker will be when you get off the ride; so, you are not apprehensive about it when you need to leave it anywhere.

There are times others have left very expensive scooters (like $2500) that are keyless and lightweight (about 40 pounds) and they report here that nothing bad happened to the scooter. It would be very easy for someone else to just ride off with this kind of scooter. It's hard to say if this may change in the future, but so so far it seems to be going okay with these matters.

Get a luggage ID that can be attached some way to your walker just in case something where to happen for whatever reasons. In this case it may be a good idea to have the name of your resort, etc. on this tag, too.

If you want you could probably use a bike lock of sorts to secure it where you can if you want to go to such lengths, but I wouldn't bother.

For restaurants you can fold it up and probably have it leaning close by. For shows inside you may ask if you can go through wheelchair accessible lines. I'm not sure how they will treat a walker; so, you may want to see if Disney will give you a GAC. In light of those circumstances you may want to see if a Guest Assistance Card may help you. See if they (Disney guest services) will allow the walker to be treated as a wheelchair of sorts. I'm doubting it can be done, but someone has to be first to ask about it. It would make your life a little easier if you can do it this way. For shows it could be very difficult carrying a walker through regular rows with seats. The back and front rows are usually for wheelchairs and scooters; because, there's more room. You could sit for the show in your walker, but you would probably need to have your husband right in front of you. If you can get an end seat it would be the best, then he could sit next to you.

I don't think there will be too many rides where you can take the rollater walker easily with you. One ride that should be okay would be Universe of Energy in Epcot's Future World. Even boat rides may be tricky; because, you would need to lift it out of the boat when you exit. One boat ride in the Land called Living with the Land might be the one exception where it would be easier to take the walker with you; because, it's easier to get on and off that boat ride. The Great Movie Ride in Hollywood Studios might be okay to take the walker with you. The Backlot Tour should work, too in this park. The train in Magic Kingdom should be okay. In some cases it would be too tight and awkward to try and take the walker with you.

For the bus issue I would practice with your husband holding it for you and try some stairs at home to assimulate a bus circumstance; it may work with him doing it for you. Buses at Disney do not accomodate GACs (if you get one); they are for the parks only. I'm not sure if someone including some bus drivers won't give you a hard time being in an handicap line for the bus with a walker. I think in less busy times it won't matter, but otherwise, there could be an issue. You'll have to do a lot of asking about it. Remember, one answer will not work all the time. Just because one bus driver is nice about the walker; another one may not be. I don't think there's a lot on this situation in their policies; so, it may be at the discretion of the driver. You will need a lot of patience on this one.

This trip will be a learning curve for you. Even if you can take the walker with you someplace you may find it hard and difficult to do it.

If you want you could probably use a bike lock of sorts to secure it where you can if you want to go to such lengths, but I wouldn't bother.
Do not lock a walker, wheelchair, stroller, or anything else to anything that is fixed in place, such as a tree, lamppost or sign.

The lock (or cable, chain, whatever) will be cut.

Do not lock a walker, wheelchair, stroller, or anything else to anything that is fixed in place, such as a tree, lamppost or sign.

The lock (or cable, chain, whatever) will be cut.

WOW! That is so harsh on the part of Disney. Thanks for stating it. I was thinking more under the lines of a CM helping a person if this was a concern and doing so in a proper way if there is a proper area.

You all are so very nice. I had not gotten any updates so I did not know all this valuable information was there.

My husband is no help at all and in fact I take care of him. He is physically in better shape than I but he is autistic and also a man. :confused3

Thank you all for the tips. I do not think I could do this trip without a walker. I do not need it in my real life as I am in a position to work a bit and sit a lot, do not get much done that way though. When I need a seat I NEED a seat. It will also help me to carry the food trays, which is nearly impossible with a cane and purse. I hope, I hope.:)

I had read that there is a disability map that gives info on which rides you can get on with certain problems and which ones you cannot. As a frequent visitor I can pretty much guess which they might be.

Look for the red walker with LGM's.!

Slightly Goofy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter