Boston Terriers Anyone?

Dixie Luvr 98

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have any experience with this breed? Our mini dachsund died over six months ago and we are starting to think seriously about a new dog. My 15 y.o. DS has wanted one of these dogs for years. I laughed him off at first because I think they are such silly-looking dogs. Since I started researching breeds, however, they seem like they might be a good fit. How are they with kids and other pets (mainly a couple of laid-back cats who are totally used to dogs)? Are they fairly easy to train? Any info from those with experience would be appreciated:D

Our next door neighbor has a great Boston terrier! It is great with the kids and they have 2 cats too. Seems like a good dog to have! Good luck

I've never owned one, so I don't know about that. I do know they have a lot of eye and skin problems though. They're also very hyper and have a tendency to bite strangers. If you go with a breeder (which I never recommend), research the family's medical history. The more their eyes poke out, the more problematic they are. I always recommend an adult from a shelter or rescue society. You save a life, and you're less likely to encounter health problems if they haven't surfaced by that time.

I think Bostons are adorable... kinda like a mini boxer. All the health problems in the world won't keep me from having boxers! Good luck.

Now these look more compatible to our household than a "wiener" dog. Thanks Heather & Dixie!

We had a Boston as our family dog when I was in high school. He lived for about 13 years and was really good for my dad when he and my mom became empty nesters.

We loved our dog. His name was General. However, he was <i>extremely</i> hyper, especially as a puppy. I can't even begin to describe how hyper he was. If all of your kids are older, it may be fine, if you can tolerate the loss of control. I wouldn't get one if I had little kids in the house. I've met some that aren't too hyper, but you never know which kind you'll get (unless you go with a full grown dog).

We didn't have too many of the problems DocRafiki mentioned, but he did have respiratory issues. Apparently a lot of dogs with flat noses do. It seems like he was always on antibiotics for bronchitus. (I was the designated medicine-giver because no one else could do it.) They always are more snotty than other dogs. When they get hyper, they spit up a little pile of mucus. It's pretty gross, but it's not hard to clean. He also had arthritus (sp?) or some kind of joint problem in his back hips. We had to get Cortisone shots every once in a while.

They are very strong, fast, coordinated dogs. You need a big fenced yard so that the dog will be able to get lots of room to exercise. You'll also have to "baby proof" to about 5 feet high. Those dogs can jump to incredible heights when they see something they want.

I have a rat terrier, our third one and I love her dearly but she does suffer from separation anxiety, whether she's actually alone or not. Sometimes, hatefully destructive. I love her nonetheless.

I've heard the greyhounds make great housepets and there's an organization that helps people adopt them after their racing days are over. Just a thought and trying to find an unwanted dog find a new home.

Mom, Dad and I had one when I was growing up.
Penny was definitely hyper. We couldn't take her in the car, etc unless she had some meds from the vet. We loved her, but I think I'd try a different breed if I had small kids at home.

We had a Boston named Sophie all while I was growing up (15 years!). The only time I remember her being hyper was when we came home after a lengthy absence. I guess us three kids kept her tired out. She was a great dog and I would definately have a Boston Terrior in our family right now if it weren't for allergies.

I thought someone was looking for an alumni....

Went to BU...and we were the Boston Terriers....LOL

Thanks for the laugh...no info on the breed though....at least on the 4 legged version.

I have a Boston Terrier - Newman - He's 4 years old. I'd recommend this bredd to anyone - Their main mission in life is to love & entertain you. He does spaz out occaisionally - not in a nippy way - but in a run circles around the house for no apparent reason way...:p He is not even close to being nippy or yippy - He's fine with kids of all ages, but is a bit raucous for babies - he tends to knock my grandson down on occaision trying to give him kisses - Of course GS thinks this is great fun & makes kissy noises at Newmie so he can do it again.
They can jump! He's like Air Newman - He can go from standing to almost face level for kisses hello after we've been gone.
No problems with people, cars etc.... but he's been slow on the uptake with housetraining issues, which I suspect was caused by his living conditions as a puppy. Not the smartest breed - but the most lovable I've encountered by far!
Oh, one thing to beware of is gas - BT's are notorious for being fart factories - We use only highly-digestable food (IAMs, Eukanuba etc) & he can still clear a room on occaision, but then again, he comes in handy if you let one rip, cuz you can always blame the dog ;)

This was one of the two breeds I was considering when getting a dog. Unfortunately, majority rules and my family got a pomeranian instead. He's so yappy, but adorable. But I would think that in the future, I'd get a Boston. :)

My mother had one when she was a teenager and still talks about "Sparky." They are very intelligent and sweet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter