Borrowing Restrictions

I just booked Boardwalk but I may have an issue. I have 395 points a year, but we had already borrowed some for a aulani trip we took in February. It left me with 205 points for my Dec 2020 use year. When I booked in my head I figured I could use half of those remaining points, so 102 points. I booked a studio with I think 98 points but now I am realizing that this may not be correct since I had borrowed earlier this year (pre CV-19) I may not have been able to borrow any more (or technically very few). I tried to call MS after I booked, but it is busy. I am sure they are extremely overloaded. I did send an email and maybe that will help. I would like to book flights since they are still cheap today, but until I here from MS I will wait. We have APs that expire in June, but they should be extended till Oct based on the extensions so we were trying to get one more trip in between schools and AP expiration.

I just booked Boardwalk but I may have an issue. I have 395 points a year, but we had already borrowed some for a aulani trip we took in February. It left me with 205 points for my Dec 2020 use year. When I booked in my head I figured I could use half of those remaining points, so 102 points. I booked a studio with I think 98 points but now I am realizing that this may not be correct since I had borrowed earlier this year (pre CV-19) I may not have been able to borrow any more (or technically very few). I tried to call MS after I booked, but it is busy. I am sure they are extremely overloaded. I did send an email and maybe that will help. I would like to book flights since they are still cheap today, but until I here from MS I will wait. We have APs that expire in June, but they should be extended till Oct based on the extensions so we were trying to get one more trip in between schools and AP expiration.

If you had already borrowed more than 50% prior to the announcement April 24th, they allowed you to keep that.

If you had borrowed less than 50% of the contract before the announcement, you could now borrow only what got you to the 50% total for your contract,

Sounds like you borrowed more than you are allowed....they system lets you which is why I think they keep the note there...and will be called about it to cancel or adjust it,

If you have 395, you are entitled to borrow a total of 198. Since you had already borrowed 190 before the rule, you are now limited to borrowing only another 8.

The only piece that could make a difference is this is per contract. Are all 395 in one? Or more than one.

If you have more than one, it’s possible you could have more available to you,

For example, I have 300 SSR and 175 RIV in my Aug UY. I have already borrowed 200 of the 300 SSR but none of the RIV. The SSR 200 are grandfathered in, but I am still allowed to borrow up to 50% of RIV.

If you had already borrowed more than 50% prior to the announcement April 24th, they allowed you to keep that.

If you had borrowed less than 50% of the contract before the announcement, you could now borrow only what got you to the 50% total for your contract,

Sounds like you borrowed more than you are allowed....they system lets you which is why I think they keep the note there...and will be called about it to cancel or adjust it,

If you have 395, you are entitled to borrow a total of 198. Since you had already borrowed 190 before the rule, you are now limited to borrowing only another 8.

The only piece that could make a difference is this is per contract. Are all 395 in one? Or more than one.

If you have more than one, it’s possible you could have more available to you,

For example, I have 300 SSR and 175 RIV in my Aug UY. I have already borrowed 200 of the 300 SSR but none of the RIV. The SSR 200 are grandfathered in, but I am still allowed to borrow up to 50% of RIV.
Yeah its three total contracts 160,60,175. The 175 was already borrowed and 20 of the 160 was already borrowed. So maybe I could have borrowed 90 points? If so maybe they adjust those points around and then I can buy the few extra points to complete the reservation. I will see when they call/email me.

Yeah its three total contracts 160,60,175. The 175 was already borrowed and 20 of the 160 was already borrowed. So maybe I could have borrowed 90 points? If so maybe they adjust those points around and then I can buy the few extra points to complete the reservation. I will see when they call/email me.

Having the 3 contract is a good thing! They may be able to get it to work for you!

The way I understand it, you should be able to borrow 30 from the 60 point contract, and another 60 from the 160!

Good luck!

Yeah, I just did the math and my first run of numbers were off, but basically I have the 160 point contract that is full for 2020 (80 points available to borrow) and the 60 point contract had 45 points left of which I can borrow 15 more points, so I should be able to borrow 95 of my needed 96 points. And I think we can still buy up to 20 points so we should be good to go.

Trying to make sure I understand all this before I screw something up this week. I have two reservations in October that I will be moving to next year (hopefully in May). Still in my Aug 2020 UY. I have two contracts, my original and a small add on. When I booked extra days at SSR for Oct I borrowed my entire 55 point contract (the add on) from next year (Aug 2021). I did this on March 16th. Can I cancel the SSR trip to free up the points and then modify our longer AKV reservation to next year or will that then trigger the borrowing rule? I do still have more points I could "borrow" from our original larger contract, I would just hope that would call me instead of just outright cancelling. Hopefully I haven't confused everyone!

Trying to make sure I understand all this before I screw something up this week. I have two reservations in October that I will be moving to next year (hopefully in May). Still in my Aug 2020 UY. I have two contracts, my original and a small add on. When I booked extra days at SSR for Oct I borrowed my entire 55 point contract (the add on) from next year (Aug 2021). I did this on March 16th. Can I cancel the SSR trip to free up the points and then modify our longer AKV reservation to next year or will that then trigger the borrowing rule? I do still have more points I could "borrow" from our original larger contract, I would just hope that would call me instead of just outright cancelling. Hopefully I haven't confused everyone!

Yes, you can do that, Just be sure to do it quickly before you give DVC time to return the borrowed points.

As long as you have those points in a reservation, they are fine. If you canceled and then waited a week or two to book, and DVC returns the points on you, then you are stuck with the limit,

I know this because I moved around my trip..modifying but also canceling as I worked to get a 4 night stay i wanted. I emailed and they told me that since I actually borrowed March 26th, then I could continue to use those points

Thanks Sandi. I'll move them all quickly (hopefully!) to a new reservation.

I have a mess of my points. We had 2 poly studios booked for 9 nights in July. So we used banked, current and borrowed some to make it work. We rescheduled our trip prior to the borrowing restriction to November to a 2 br at OKW, which cost less points. So I was able to then bank my current 2020 points to 2021. We decided to go down for 4 days in July which required me to borrow 56 points from my 120 point AK contract. It noted I still had 90 points I could borrow for this stay. So I made sure to keep it under the 50% rule.

Now that I am re-thinking about it I might have messed up. Technically I had already borrowed 30 points for my OKW reservation (prior to the borrowing rule) I only did this on Sunday (so only 2 days) I might reach out to MS to discuss and try to make sense.

I thought I was good because I believed that the borrowing restriction was from what ever date it was implemented moving forward. So that technically I could now only borrow 50%, which would be 60 points.

I have a mess of my points. We had 2 poly studios booked for 9 nights in July. So we used banked, current and borrowed some to make it work. We rescheduled our trip prior to the borrowing restriction to November to a 2 br at OKW, which cost less points. So I was able to then bank my current 2020 points to 2021. We decided to go down for 4 days in July which required me to borrow 56 points from my 120 point AK contract. It noted I still had 90 points I could borrow for this stay. So I made sure to keep it under the 50% rule.

Now that I am re-thinking about it I might have messed up. Technically I had already borrowed 30 points for my OKW reservation (prior to the borrowing rule) I only did this on Sunday (so only 2 days) I might reach out to MS to discuss and try to make sense.

I thought I was good because I believed that the borrowing restriction was from what ever date it was implemented moving forward. So that technically I could now only borrow 50%, which would be 60 points.
The borrowing rule is per contract. You’re under 50% for your AKV contract. Unless your OKW contract is under 60 points, those 30 previously borrowed OKW points are fine.

The key here is to double check how many points you have borrowed since the rule and add them to what was already borrowed prior to the rule per contract,

If the total borrowed exceeds 50% on your contracts and any of those points are newly borrowed, then you did borrow too many and they will require a cancel or adjustment.

We decided to cancel a Grand Californian reservation and rebook that same week at WDW instead. The reservation was 208 points, so I had used all of FY20 (100 point contract), 14 leftover banked points and most of FY21 points. I called and had member services do the transaction to hopefully cover me. They cancelled the original reservation and everything dropped back to the original use years. Then she rebooked at Kidani and used up all my FY20 and the 14 banked points and borrowed the balance which was still over the 50%. She put notes all over the reservation about what we did, and that this was a rebook and to not cancel. She said that a team goes through and reviews all the reservations within a week of booking and then cancels them if they were not done correctly. I was not comfortable doing this myself and risking having it cancelled, so I called member services to do it. Still took awhile, but I didn't want to take the risk.

We decided to cancel a Grand Californian reservation and rebook that same week at WDW instead. The reservation was 208 points, so I had used all of FY20 (100 point contract), 14 leftover banked points and most of FY21 points. I called and had member services do the transaction to hopefully cover me. They cancelled the original reservation and everything dropped back to the original use years. Then she rebooked at Kidani and used up all my FY20 and the 14 banked points and borrowed the balance which was still over the 50%. She put notes all over the reservation about what we did, and that this was a rebook and to not cancel. She said that a team goes through and reviews all the reservations within a week of booking and then cancels them if they were not done correctly. I was not comfortable doing this myself and risking having it cancelled, so I called member services to do it. Still took awhile, but I didn't want to take the risk.

As long as the points were borrowed before the restrIction, you are fine getting them into a new reservation.

When I checked on mine, I got an email back in which they clearly went through my account because they told me the date I borrowed and since it was beforehand, I was safe,

They did tell me had I not gotten them rebooked into a reservation before DVC returned them to their original UY, they would not longer be exempt, and I would be limited.

Glad it all worked out! ,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts