Boosting your immune system

MrsCobraBubbles

Life's too short to wear pants all the time
So with all the hype about this being a nasty flu season, what do you do to boost your immunity?

So with all the hype about this being a nasty flu season, what do you do to boost your immunity?
Nothing in advance really, but I do have good luck with big doses of Vitamin C and an echinacea/garlic supplement if I feel something coming on. I used to swear by Airborne; made everybody take it for 2 days prior to ever getting on an airplane. It seems not to be available any longer. :(

Nothing in advance really, but I do have good luck with big doses of Vitamin C and an echinacea/garlic supplement if I feel something coming on. I used to swear by Airborne; made everybody take it for 2 days prior to ever getting on an airplane. It seems not to be available any longer. :(

DH and I like Airborne as well, especially for travel. - I usually get the gummies at CVS. (They have both the name brand and their own.)

If I do feel something coming on, I go with the Zicam tablets that you dissolve on your tongue.

My DS has been eating a lot of oranges lately, and we also up our handwashing and make sure we get enough sleep!

I've been considering taking a garlic supplement too, right now I'm just eating extra garlic for the anti-inflamatory benefits and because it is super yummy!

I don't know if you can truly boost your immunity. I think the marketers would like us to think their products will. But, of course, there are things to do if you are not in ultimate health.

1. Get the required amount of sleep.
2. Get a good amount of all food groups. If you can't, take a supplement, especially Vitamin D and zinc in the winter months, which people are notoriously deficient in.
3. Get moderate exercise. It's shown that people who exercise moderately a few times a week don't seem to catch as many things.

I don’t get sick I’m 47 years old. Haven’t got sick since I been a kid.

This is what I do.

Get a flu shot every year.

Wash your hands but don’t go overboard with hand sanitizers.

Always eat enough food. I never have a problem with eating enough.

If it’s feeezing outside and I’m only going to be outside from house to car, car to store. I don’t wear a Jacket. A sweatshirt is enough. It’s good for your body to be cold once in a while. I don’t wear a jacket until the temp goes down in the low 20’s. If I’m going to be outside for a while I wear a jacket. I’m in south jersey if anyone was wondering.

Exercise

Drink enough fluids no alcohol doesn’t count.

Last edited:
I've been considering taking a garlic supplement too, right now I'm just eating extra garlic for the anti-inflamatory benefits and because it is super yummy!

I've been a huge proponent of garlic for many reasons (not the least of immunity boosting). I used to take a large tablespoon of raw minced garlic everyday, but sometimes didn't have parsley or celery to neutralize the odor; I am practically begging for a joke here. :)

Me daily: Vitamin C - 1500mg, garlic supplements, cinnamon, fish oil and a multi.

Lots of H20 and a 4-5X/week sauna sweat session to rid out impurities.

DH and I like Airborne as well, especially for travel. - I usually get the gummies at CVS. (They have both the name brand and their own.)

If I do feel something coming on, I go with the Zicam tablets that you dissolve on your tongue.

My DS has been eating a lot of oranges lately, and we also up our handwashing and make sure we get enough sleep!
:idea: Can you still get the fizzy tablets there? It's no longer available in Canada at all. WalMart used to have a house-brand that I'd stock up on every time we were in the States. That's gone by the wayside too as far as I can tell. (LOL - it's routine here for people to keep a running "American WalMart" list and send it with whoever is going down. I've got a colleague that swears American Aleve is different :confused3 )

:idea: Can you still get the fizzy tablets there? It's no longer available in Canada at all. WalMart used to have a house-brand that I'd stock up on every time we were in the States. That's gone by the wayside too as far as I can tell. (LOL - it's routine here for people to keep a running "American WalMart" list and send it with whoever is going down. I've got a colleague that swears American Aleve is different :confused3 )
I honestly believe American Aleve is better. We buy our Aleve and Excedrine in Florida and take it back. The stomach medicine in Canada seems to be better.

I honestly believe American Aleve is better. We buy our Aleve and Excedrine in Florida and take it back. The stomach medicine in Canada seems to be better.
Excedrine is aspirin with caffeine, right? We used to have a similar product called Anacin but it's no longer available. I do generally chase my headache pills with coffee though, for whatever it might be worth. Not sure what kind of stomach meds you mean, only Zantac and Pepcid are available OTC. I buy Previcid and Prilosec down South when I have a chance, otherwise I have to see a doctor for a prescription.

Excedrine is aspirin with caffeine, right? We used to have a similar product called Anacin but it's no longer available. I do generally chase my headache pills with coffee though, for whatever it might be worth. Not sure what kind of stomach meds you mean, only Zantac and Pepcid are available OTC. I buy Previcid and Prilosec down South when I have a chance, otherwise I have to see a doctor for a prescription.
Yes it is. We can never find it up north. I take it with Diet Coke. I forget the name of the stomach medicine but it's unavailable in the US.

Our sales of Immune Support Tincture have been brisk. I'm making a batch about every other day.

Ok, I am seriously thinking about setting up an exchange program for the DIS. I have received several packages for American DISsers and rerouted to their address. All money is exchanged over PayPal.

Sure, it takes trust, but I think it’s might be feasible. I haven’t had any issues the few times I did it.

Seriously, would anyone be interested if I set it up?

Nothing to boost my immune system. Doing a lot to reduce my exposure to germs. Our hand washing, use of sanitizing wipes, hand sanitizer, and disinfecting spray has gone through the roof.
I work with kids, they are basically little disease factories so there's not much I can do about exposure :). The kids I work with are special needs and they still wipe their noses on me and sneeze right in my face without attempting to cover.

Ok, I am seriously thinking about setting up an exchange program for the DIS. I have received several packages for American DISsers and rerouted to their address. All money is exchanged over PayPal.

Sure, it takes trust, but I think it’s might be feasible. I haven’t had any issues the few times I did it.

Seriously, would anyone be interested if I set it up?
Curious to know what kind of stuff they want from us besides the magical elixir of Good Host? And do not let yourself get lured into moving black-market KinderSurprises. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!