Books on Functional Curriculums?

isyne4u

<font color=blue>Next time I get a craving for cak
This is not a disney question but I'm hoping that you all can help me out.

I am a teacher of the Deaf and I currently have a child with multiple disabilities. I don't want to go into specifics but I will say he has always been on a "regular iep" and should not have been. Now I have him and I need to write a more appropriate iep with functional skills.

My problem is that I have always had your basic deaf kid and have not needed to write a functional iep. Now I need some place to look for the kinds of goals that he really needs. Does anyone have any idas on books that have functional iep goals or know of any websites that might help me?

I have searched amazon and I've googled it a hundred times and I just am not coming up with stuff to really help me.

TIA for any help anyone can provide.
tara

I can't help you with any answers to your question, but did want to say that this board welcomes questions about disabilities whether they are directly Disney related or not.
Some of the other boards get so many questions that a question asked in the morning is one page 3 by afternoon. Those boards have to be a little more careful to stay on topic, but we're not so busy.

Have you checked out the Different Roads to Learning catalog or website ? It is mainly for autism but it does have several resources on goal setting and curriculum and some of them would probably be appropriate. I also like Pro-Ed, Enable-Mart, the Me Book from Lovaas, and Catherine Maurice's book on programming.

Sue Ellen...Thank you for letting me know it was okay to do a nonDisney question.

Wide awake..Thank you for the suggestions. I went to the website of Different Roads to Learning and ordered a catalog. I am going to look at Pro-Ed next. I tried enable and that led me back to Different Roads.

Thank you for the help!
tara

My ds has numerous ld's and we just had a very thorough eval done and they gave me ton of recommendations. If you would like to pm me, I'll see if any of our issues relate to what you are dealing with. My ds is in 3rd grade. Some basic iep things would be longer time for test taking, fewer spelling words each week or give 1/2 the list on Monday and other 1/2 on Friday. Using manipulatives for math, if they have handwriting difficulties they should have a scribe or be trained on the computer, etc, etc, etc,....

LMC said:
My ds has numerous ld's and we just had a very thorough eval done and they gave me ton of recommendations. If you would like to pm me, I'll see if any of our issues relate to what you are dealing with. My ds is in 3rd grade. Some basic iep things would be longer time for test taking, fewer spelling words each week or give 1/2 the list on Monday and other 1/2 on Friday. Using manipulatives for math, if they have handwriting difficulties they should have a scribe or be trained on the computer, etc, etc, etc,....

LMC...thank you for the accommodations. What I'm looking for are goals and objectives that are related to daily living skills for this student. But thank you for your thoughts!!!

tara

isyne4u said:
LMC...thank you for the accommodations. What I'm looking for are goals and objectives that are related to daily living skills for this student. But thank you for your thoughts!!!

tara
Could you maybe be more specific about the type of daily living skills - like are you looking for personal care things like toothbrushing, hair combing; more home living like cooking skills, money handling, etc.?
If that's the type of things, you might find some info by looking for Transition Programs.

SueEllen...he is higher than the very basic hygene type of skills. I'm looking for goals and objectives that would reflect daily life in terms of household skills, money skills, etc. (This is why I was hoping to find a book that I could look through to get some ideas of things I'm missing)

I have him down in math for money and budgeting. But for things like science...i'm thinking cooking skills (ie. measuring etc) and body systems. Social studies (its required that we link our objectives to each core curriculum)..I'm not sure what I should do. What kind of citizenship goals, do I go back to community workers? English...is the only easy one because I need to link it back to reading and writing.

I"m sorry this is so confusing. :( I'm very frustrated since I have always worked with typical deaf kids...not ones who were Autistic, ADHD, OCD..etc. I have asked around my school for anyone who might have some resources and pretty much everyone says the same thing...make it up as you go along!!

Thanks for your help! I will continue to look around!
tara

He sounds higher functioning then I thought. Have you looked at the Janus Life Skills curriculum ?

Try this website:
Pacer Center
it's a national parent advocacy website. They have a lot of links and you can also do a search on just that site.
I don't know if this will help, but another thing to try is to look for Home Ec type websites (The current name for Home Ec is Family Resources and Consumer Sciences). In the High School my DD's went to, the Special Ed tachers had set up a class with skills like balancing a checkbook, budgets, looking for an apartment ans sort of "survival cooking skills. A lot of the non special ed kids felt like they were missing those skills, so they set up a general class with the same content.
My sister is a Home Teacher who also is certified in Special Ed and she's set up classes like that too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter