Booking next cruise while onboard...

ncharlier

Earning My Ears
if we book our next cruise while onboard, can we arrange airfare as well? Will they give us a total cost and I assume we have to put down a percentage? We live close to Port Canaveral and never booked more than a couple months in advance. I really want to book an Alaskan cruise and was wondering if this is the best way to arrange for this to happen or would it be better to go through a travel agent?

I have NEVER found that booking airfare through DCL is cost efficient. I always book my airfare separately and it is much cheaper! You can do it one of two ways. Actually book the cruise you want while on board and pay 10% down. Or you can simply only pay 250 for a placeholder. Then when you get home and have more time covert it to an actual specific cruise date. If you book a placeholder you have two years from the date you book the placeholder to take the cruise.

You aren't going to get a discount for booking air onboard. So I would just book the cruise. The agent can tell you how much DCL airfare would be so you have it for comparison. But it is typically less expensive to book your own air and you have more control over the flights you choose. If you aren't finding good airfare, you can always add DCL's later.

It's been a while since I cruised... What are the advantages of booking your next cruise while onboard now?

It's been a while since I cruised... What are the advantages of booking your next cruise while onboard now?
10% off the cruise cost (excluding taxes and fees), Deposit of 10% instead of 20% if the cruise is 7 nights or longer; On Board Credit of $100 for cruises under 7 nts or $200 for 7 nts or longer.

You get these advantages if you book the next cruise on board OR book a 'placeholder' with a deposit of $250. The placeholder must be used for a cruise that starts within 24 mths to the day in order to get the advantages. If you don't use it in that time frame, the $250 will be reimbursed to you.

I have NEVER found that booking airfare through DCL is cost efficient. I always book my airfare separately and it is much cheaper! You can do it one of two ways. Actually book the cruise you want while on board and pay 10% down. Or you can simply only pay 250 for a placeholder. Then when you get home and have more time covert it to an actual specific cruise date. If you book a placeholder you have two years from the date you book the placeholder to take the cruise.

For my European cruise last year I was actually able to get the same rate for my American Airlines flight through DCL as booking on other sites. I chose to book through them because I was able to select my seats and chose the exact flight I wanted, I didn't have to pay for the flight until my cruise paid in full date, DCL would make the arrangements for any flight changes if there was an issue with the ship getting back late, etc. It was a very smooth process. For our upcoming Alaska cruise I was able to find a better rate to Vancouver than through DCL. I think it is worth checking with DCL on the flight prices vs what you can price out elsewhere.

However, I wouldn't worry about checking on flights when you're onboard the ship since it's easy to add later.

For my European cruise last year I was actually able to get the same rate for my American Airlines flight through DCL as booking on other sites. I chose to book through them because I was able to select my seats and chose the exact flight I wanted, I didn't have to pay for the flight until my cruise paid in full date, DCL would make the arrangements for any flight changes if there was an issue with the ship getting back late, etc. It was a very smooth process. For our upcoming Alaska cruise I was able to find a better rate to Vancouver than through DCL. I think it is worth checking with DCL on the flight prices vs what you can price out elsewhere.

However, I wouldn't worry about checking on flights when you're onboard the ship since it's easy to add later.

That's awesome! It has always been way more expensive for us. Of course we mostly cruise out of Port Canaveral, and Southwest has nonstop flights to MCO for very cheap. I may be different if we are going out of different port. I will compare for our cruise out of NYC we are booking for October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter