Booking Grand Californian at 7 months-how difficult?

Mikelly1221

DIS Veteran
Hi! In May 2020 my daughter graduates from high school, and we're tentatively planning a graduation trip to California, with Disneyland definitely part of the itinerary.

I've never tried to book at the Grand Californian before...how hard is it to get 2-3 nights at 7 months out? We'd be going probably late May, even Memorial Day weekend, but we have some flexibility at this time.

Thanks! Any information would be helpful! :)

From observation weekends tend to be a bit easier. Larger villas also increase the possibility of making it happen.

Had no problem last summer for a week in a 1 bdrm. This year, it's looking close to impossible, likely due to Star Wars.

Memorial Day weekend is likely to be a problem for any size room. As to rest of month dedicated 2BRs have usually been open, 1BRs have often been open but can have random couple days gone during a week now and then, and studios (and lock-off 2BRs) are very often gone, or whatever is left disappears exactly at 8 a.m., 7 months out.

I was shocked my DH was able to get a one bedroom at 6 months out for 4 nights in mid-April....Saturday, checking out Wednesday. When we decided on a trip to CA, I told him no way was he going to get the Grand and that I would research the Good Neighbor hotels. He will never let me live that one down. :rotfl:

Depends on when the 7 months is : ) 7 months from today is almost entirely open for all room types. Memorial day weekend for 2019 is completely booked.

I looked this morning and was suprised to find availability at the 7 month mark for a 1 bdrm. It has not been available the last couple of days and I suspect some people are walking. I was tempted to book and start walking myself but didn't have time to do so.

Thank you everyone! Our plans and dates aren't set in stone, and I'll definitely have a plan B if we don't get it. Fingers crossed! :)

Don't forget waitlisting. We went last summer--late July--and wound up having to do a 3-way split stay. Our first two nights we managed to get a 1BR right at 7 months but no other nights. We booked a room at the DL Hotel for the other nights and waitlisted. We also stalked the RAT for weeks to no avail. One day, we noticed a GV opened up our last two nights, so we borrowed points and booked it. Despite checking every day and waitlisting, that final day in between never came through. So, we had a 1BR for days 1 and 2, a room at DLH for day 3, and then the GV for days 4 and 5. It was rather easy to do, and I have to say being in the GV was exceptional. Everyone's experience will vary, but I tell my story so that you do definitely have a Plan B. Good luck!

We are planning Sept 2020 how hard do you think it will be to get a Grand Villa at the 7 month mark?

I would say that GCAL is one of the most difficult if not most difficult resort to book at 7 months, just simply because of the size of the resort and it being the only DVC resort in California. As others have said, the higher point times of year, days (weekends) and the larger the size accommodation will be easier to book. The Studio is rarely available at any time of year, at the 7 month mark, though the 1 bedroom will give you a better chance of availability. Good luck!

I think I missed the opening of the 7 month window..we want to stay May 26-28, and I thought it would open today. Did it actually open yesterday?

Update: Nope, opened today. I guess I'm waitlisting/stalking/working on plan B offsite.

Last edited:
I think I missed the opening of the 7 month window..we want to stay May 26-28, and I thought it would open today. Did it actually open yesterday?

Update: Nope, opened today. I guess I'm waitlisting/stalking/working on plan B offsite.
As you say, it was today. However, from my experience, getting in at 7 months there is extremely difficult--lots of walking at that resort. We booked the DLH as a back up, set up waitlists, and then also kept checking back. We wound up filling the first two days and last two days of our five-day trip and kept the DLH room for the night in between. Good luck!

We’ve done it twice - 1 br both times for early May and late Jan. I booked at exactly 7 months at 8 am.

edited to add: both times (trips in 2015 and 2019) I watched availability closely on the 1 brs and they seemed consistently available except for MLK weekend which we didn’t want anyways.

Well, I'm halfway there. I was able to book a 1-bedroom for the 2nd night of our 2 night stay this morning.(YAY! :)) I've waitlisted the first night in a one-bedroom and have a second waitlist for both nights for a studio. From hearing how hard it is to get a studio, I don't have much hope for that one, but maybe the 1 bedroom will come through.

Well, I'm halfway there. I was able to book a 1-bedroom for the 2nd night of our 2 night stay this morning.(YAY! :)) I've waitlisted the first night in a one-bedroom and have a second waitlist for both nights for a studio. From hearing how hard it is to get a studio, I don't have much hope for that one, but maybe the 1 bedroom will come through.
Good luck going forward! In our case mentioned above, we snagged a 1BR for those first two day (which was the size we wanted) fairly early on. Then, we waited. . .and waited. After several weeks, a GV opened up for those last two nights. We couldn't resist so borrowed some points to cover it. Naturally, we loved that huge space--if only we could afford that sort of room all the time. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!