Booking Extra Nights and Then Cancelling

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
So, we are planning on our first AP this year, activating it in November and then going again next October. We are wanting to add a shorter trip (around 3 nights) in-between next Spring (either March or May), but we will have to borrow points for it (June UY). We will also probably be flying, and I'm worried that I'll pick dates that coincide with higher flight prices. I will have extra HHI points in my 2020 UY. Would it be possible to book extra nights with those points at the 7-month window, and then if I ended up cancelling the original nights, can MS reallocate my points in order to use the borrowed points on those nights instead of the HHI points?

Last edited:
Yes, if you cancel nights because you booked them with other points, you can then relocate the banked and borrowed points to replace the other ones, providing they are all in your June UY.

You can call MS or do it online by modifying. Just a reminder, traveling In May with a June UY is risky. If that trip has to be changed or canceled, those points will still expire May 31st, unless you are still in your banking window for Current UY points. But, borrowed points will be stuck no matter what.

Yes, if you cancel nights because you booked them with other points, you can then relocate the banked and borrowed points to replace the other ones, providing they are all in your June UY.

You can call MS or do it online by modifying. Just a reminder, traveling In May with a June UY is risky. If that trip has to be changed or canceled, those points will still expire May 31st, unless you are still in your banking window for Current UY points. But, borrowed points will be stuck no matter what.
Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I know it is risky. I sure wish I had not bought a June UY since we have decided to never go in the summer again. But it is what it is. I want to get three trips out of our AP, so November, Spring, and October are the best times we can come up with. I guess, March is less risky than May, but I worry about the March crowds, plus May is much cheaper points. I would be risking about 27 points total if I can get three nights in an AKV value studio. Would trip insurance be worth it for that?

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I know it is risky. I sure wish I had not bought a June UY since we have decided to never go in the summer again. But it is what it is. I want to get three trips out of our AP, so November, Spring, and October are the best times we can come up with. I guess, March is less risky than May, but I worry about the March crowds, plus May is much cheaper points. I would be risking about 27 points total if I can get three nights in an AKV value studio. Would trip insurance be worth it for that?

Maybe. But you do pay trip insurance for each UY of points in the reservation. So if you have banked, current and borrowed, it’d be 3 years cost.

Or, I’d the worst happens, you could always try to rent out the reservation vs canceling. That is an option too!

Maybe. But you do pay trip insurance for each UY of points in the reservation. So if you have banked, current and borrowed, it’d be 3 years cost.

Or, I’d the worst happens, you could always try to rent out the reservation vs canceling. That is an option too!
It would be two UYs-current and borrowed. Not sure it would be worth it. Renting the reservation sounds like a better idea. It would just be nice to get something out of it if we had to cancel just so we could add more days to our October trip.

I would not count on getting 3 nights in an AKV value studio....

I would not count on getting 3 nights in an AKV value studio....
Well I’m going to try. I have 7 nights booked in one in November and I just got three value studios for 4 nights over Thanksgiving last year. I’ve managed to get one on every trip the last several years. It’s the only thing I’m lucky with. I realize my luck might run out but no reason not to try.

If you booked your stay at your home resort and then cancel the spring trip with non-home borrowed points, you cannot use the borrowed points to sub for the home points. It defeats the home advantage booking.

If you booked your stay at your home resort and then cancel the spring trip with non-home borrowed points, you cannot use the borrowed points to sub for the home points. It defeats the home advantage booking.
It wouldn't be non-home borrowed points. It would non-home (HHI) current points that I would use to book a few extra nights. If I cancel those nights, I know those points would go back into my current UY. But if I cancel the nights booked on borrowed AKV points, shouldn't I be able to reallocate those points to my nights booked on the HHI points, thus using up the AKV borrowed points and putting the current HHI points back into my current UY?

It wouldn't be non-home borrowed points. It would non-home (HHI) current points that I would use to book a few extra nights. If I cancel those nights, I know those points would go back into my current UY. But if I cancel the nights booked on borrowed AKV points, shouldn't I be able to reallocate those points to my nights booked on the HHI points, thus using up the AKV borrowed points and putting the current HHI points back into my current UY?

Yes. If you get AKV using HH points and also have some borrowed AKV points and then cancel, you can substitute those AKV points back into an AKV reservation or any other reservation made at 7 months

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter