• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booking Dolphin encounter/swim via shore excursions

FredS

DIS Veteran
We are considering booking the dolphin encounter or swim using Shore Excursions. Does anyone have any experience with doing this, that is, is it clear how to get to Blue Lagoon via taxi and did you have any problems getting there and back since it isn't "through Disney?"

Also, the encounter sounds pretty cool to us, but perhaps some feel that the swim is worth the additional money? Any input would be very much appreciated!

The swim is not a disney excursion (only the encounter) so we booked it on our own. We just grabbed a cab $4 each over to paradise island which was a 5 to 10 minute cab ride.(between the two bridges) From there you catch the fairy to blue lagoon island. After the swim we had time to shower & change, buy pictures, video, gifts etc, then when we were ready we hopped on the fairy which made a quick stop at paradise island to drop people off, then they took us to the ship.

I've never done the encounter but highly recommend the swim.

When you book a shore excursion they should provide all transportation to and from the trip

If i remember right it is more expensive to book the encounter thru the cruise line then it is to book it on your own. I believe the cruise line also gives you time at blue lagoon beach.......someone correct me if that info isn't right.

This excursion sells out very fast.

Here is a link, Hope it helps. This will tell you about the encounter & the swim.

http://www.dolphinswims.com/program.html

Also click on gallery for lots more pics of the encounter etc

What I need is some actual experience in executing the dolphin swim and/or encounter through Shore Excursions or other than through Disney, particularly any difficulty or extra expense in getting there and back. For instance, the website for the encounter/swim indicates that roundtrip transportation is provided, but literally back to the ship or ?? Does it leave very early or get back very late or is it standing room only?

I have heard that it is a bit of a trek when booking through the cruise line, and thought perhaps it might even be a bit easier to handle our own transportation there and back, but not having been there it is difficult to imagine what might be involved.

Hey Fred:

I think you are on my cruise October 12th. I saw this reply (see below) on another thread. IT sounds like you can book the excursion cheaper and just take the taxi to the ferry. We are thinking of cancelling our booking with Disney and just doing it ourselves. IT sounds simple enough. I have also read that people say the swim is worth the extra money. We would do the swim but the child has to be a certain age (I think it was 6) and my youngest is 4. Everyone says the swim is worth the extra cost. There is a trip report where one lady talks about the dolphin excursion in depth. If you haven't read that trip report, you might want to.

Another board member wrote:

I don't have much info on this yet...but we did book the encounter through the dolphin encounter program directly - not through DSL. I booked it online at the dolphinswims.com web site and they e-mailed our conf #. We have confirmation for our Nassau day on Sept 29. When they sent us the confirmation # they also told us where to check in at - which is located at the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal. It is also a lot cheaper than going through DSL. We have 2 dd's ages 3 & 5 and the 3 year old is free. You also pay when you get there, not in advance. Hope this helps!

Takeme away -- thanks for the info. Just some of what I have to consider is that DCL's Blue Lagoon Beach Day is included in their price for the encounter (and my daughter would definitely like to spend some time at the beach) so I have to decide if the transportation, towels, lunch, and potentially less hassle is worth the difference in price in booking directly with the Dolphin Encounter business, then taking care of the other details ourselves. I am not even sure that if we handle our own transportation, etc. that we will be allowed to hang out on the beach at Blue Lagoon if we don't pay for a separate BL beach pkg.

Hey Fred:

Didn't think about the beach portion of the package. Also, if there is a problem getting into Nassau for some reason, (hurricane season) I know Disney will not charge you for the encounter. IF you book on your own, you will probably be out of luck if you don't show up.

Finally, I have read a lot of reports where the food on Blue Lagoon is supposed to be kind of yucky... especially the punch. A lot of people suggested that you order sandwiches from room service the night before and take them on your trip to Blue Lagoon. The food would be better than what they give you on the beach. We are gonna do this. Just thought you might like to know.

Originally posted by takemeaway
....Also, if there is a problem getting into Nassau for some reason, (hurricane season) I know Disney will not charge you for the encounter. IF you book on your own, you will probably be out of luck if you don't show up.

Finally, I have read a lot of reports where the food on Blue Lagoon is supposed to be kind of yucky... especially the punch.

The possible weather or other problems are a significant concern. I really hate to risk several hundred dollars by booking directly (and not saving much at all anyway) if there is a problem getting to BL for the dolphin activities.

I have read some people didn't like the food and some thought it was fine. It seems that when you arrive to eat affects that, as those who got there late thought the food was dried out. A problem with taking sandwiches is just lugging that stuff everywhere. I would much prefer to take the bare necessities, particularly if we are going to be in the water much of the time and away from our "stuff" on the beach. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter