• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

booking AP rate with a child's AP

sleepydoc

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know for sure whether you can book an AP rate if just 1 child in the party has an AP? I've read conflicting info...and have got conflicting info from CRO! My daughter still has an active pass from visits with her grandparents...just wondering if that's OK, or does it have to be an adult passholder?

You have to make the reservation in the name of the passholder, and you have to be 18 years old to reserve a room at Disney. So a child cannot reserve a room, passholder or not. Sorry!:(

My husband (a non-passholder) was able to do so when on a trip in the fall of 2002 with our daughter ( a passholder) who is only 5 years old. I had read it was possible on these boards. I asked the CM (who was very nice) and she put me on hold while she took a few minutes to do a little research. When she returned to the phone she appeared to be reading the information which basically said it was possible since no type of age restrictions were mentioned.

I was also told that the annual pass had to be in an adult's name and the credit card to hold the room reservation had to match with that person. Morrow4, I think your situation is unusual. Glad your husband and daughter were albe to do that but I won't try it. Has anyone else been able to make a reservation in a childs name or do this same thing?

It worked for my family, so I hope it works for many more. I don't know if mine was unusual or not since I got the idea from other folks on this board who had apparently done the same. My CM was not originally sure if it was possible. In fact, the more I think about it I think she also thought it had to be an adult AP, but when I told her I was asking because I had read other people had booked with the child's AP she put me on hold to find some reference info. When she came back to the phone she was very upbeat and basically thanked me for helping her to "discover something new". I don't know what material she referenced, but she seemed to be reading from something. Also, because of reading conflicting info on these boards after I had made the reservation, I got nervous that maybe she had been mistaken after all. I called back a few days before the trip, expained the situation, and had another CM tell me it was all legit. They had no problem at check-in. They did have to show my daughters AP. Good luck to all. :bounce:

Hmmmm, this is interesting news. Common sense would say the Disney wouldn't allow it to be in a child's name... any more experiences with this????:confused:

Three days ago I asked CRO & the CM checked & said as long as the child & pass were at the front desk at check-in it was ok.

Originally posted by csmommy
Three days ago I asked CRO & the CM checked & said as long as the child & pass were at the front desk at check-in it was ok.
JMHO but...

With CRO/WDTC's past track record regarding giving out incorrect, incomplete and just plain misleading information, I wouldn't count on this for a minute.

Would you call WDW dining to ask a question about transportation? No? Then why would you call a reservations center to ask about resort policy?

If you want to find out something about a resort's policy, call that resort!. They are the ones who will be dealing with you and will or will not implement the policy. What CRO/WDTC says carries no weight when you're standing at check-in.

YMMV

Don't want to get into an argument but...
If CRO is responsible for making reservations, it doesn't seem silly to me to call them about reservations policies regarding AP. Sure those folks can make a mistake like anyone else, but so can the CM standing in the resort. I would be terrified to think that confirmations (prices, etc.) hold no weight upon check-in even if the resort CM feels the CRO person made an error. After all, isn't CRO operated by Disney?
We own our own business, and when an employee makes a mistake that appears to be a negative to the customer, we (my husband and myself) "eat" that expense ourselves and try to turn the situation into a positive learning experience so it won't happen again. Again, I'm don't wish to argue, I'm just confused myself now.

We've done it too. My grandson is an AP holder, and when his mom took him to WDW, she reserved the room under an AP code. She told CRO that he was an AP holder and was told that as long as someone in your group had an AP she qualified. She did, checkin with no problem, and has even gotten the AP discount on merchandise with him standing there with his AP. Also, on a side note, we reserve our rooms with a CM discount. Many times my the rooms are in my name (not the CM) and was told that as long as my better half (the CM) is staying in the room, it didn't matter which name it was under and also, I pay with my credit card that is in my name only. Done this about 20-25 times and never a problem. So yes a child's AP has reserved a room at WDW more than once.

We also asked about this as we will be taking my neice in April and getting her an AP since she is returning with her parents a few months later. We have APs, but my sister and her husband do not and since they will only be going for 4 days with my neice and don't plan to return for a few years they will not be getting them. The CMs at AKL and the GF told us that my sister can use her daughter's AP to get the AP rate when they return with her. At the GF, our CM checking us was 'earning his ears' so he asked his trainer since he was unsure ands she verified this is allowed as long as the AP holder is going to be there, whether it is a child or not. When she called to reserve her room for their trip, my sister asked CRO if she could call back with an AP code if they become available since her 5 year old daughter has an AP and the CRO CM said that is fine, but to be sure they keep her with them at check-in in case they need to show her AP.

We were able to get an AP rate with a child's AP. The room was booked in MY name. When I booked the room, I specifically asked CRO about it and he said no problem. When we checked in at ASMu, the cast member at the front desk was also aware that the adults in the party had Park Hoppers and the AP belonged to my niece who was with us. They asked to see the AP and that was the end of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter