Booking a Placeholder...Pros and Cons To Transferring to a TA

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran
On my upcoming cruise I will be booking a placeholder for a 2019 WBPC once announced. What are the pros and cons to moving it over to a travel agent? I think I might lose some onboard credit? Does it take longer for me to book my own room via the phone call to DCL or do the TA’s have a faster method? Trying to think of any other reasons to use them. TIA.

On my upcoming cruise I will be booking a placeholder for a 2019 WBPC once announced. What are the pros and cons to moving it over to a travel agent? I think I might lose some onboard credit? Does it take longer for me to book my own room via the phone call to DCL or do the TA’s have a faster method? Trying to think of any other reasons to use them. TIA.

No, you do not lose the OBC, in fact your TA may add some, that's what we just did. Booked a placeholder, got the 10 % off future booking, $200 DCL OBC, got home and transferred it to our TA (we did pick an actual cruise at that time) and received our TA's $100 OBC. We picked the exact stateroom we wanted ( we always do that on DCL 's site) and emailed our TA the room we wanted. Was all taken care of in a matter of minutes. We never book by phone, we do everything on line, so I can't help you with that part. We've used the same TA since 2011 for 6 cruises, works super well for us. Good luck!

We change our placeholders and our on board bookings to a TA and have not experienced any downside to doing so. We do get some additional credit.

Remember that if you're booking a place holder, you'd still have to call to book it. So booking through a TA or on your own wouldn't be different. (someone correct me, if I'm wrong) I would want whatever perks a TA can give me, as well as the DCL discount and OBB, if it were me.

Remember that if you're booking a place holder, you'd still have to call to book it. So booking through a TA or on your own wouldn't be different. (someone correct me, if I'm wrong) I would want whatever perks a TA can give me, as well as the DCL discount and OBB, if it were me.

This was not our experience, or I may be misunderstanding what you mean. Our TA received an email confirmation after we got back home from our cruise from DCL with the placeholder info. In the meanwhile I had chosen from dcl's website which cruise and which stateroom we wanted. I also emailed that information to our TA. And that same day, probably in less than an hour, we had our entire reservation taken care of. No phone calls necessary. We had however used our same travel agent for the cruise we were currently on, so that info is saved in the DCL system. If you are not using a TA on the current cruise, it is a good idea to know which TA you will be naming to the placeholder before you board.

One reminder however, I believe you do need to transfer a placeholder to a travel agent within 30 days. I'm not sure about that since we did it a few days after our cruise, so someone may have updated information regarding that.

Last edited:
The TA I want to transfer to I believe said we would not get the full OBC offered through their travel agency if I transfer it over to them. I’m not sure why. I don’t think it affects DCL’s OBC. I guess some TA OBC is better than none. Just curious as to why that TA Agency cant offer their full OBC?

The TA I want to transfer to I believe said we would not get the full OBC offered through their travel agency if I transfer it over to them. I’m not sure why. I don’t think it affects DCL’s OBC. I guess some TA OBC is better than none. Just curious as to why that TA Agency cant offer their full OBC?

That is standard, that's how it works. You are getting Disney's full OBC and then your travel agent's reduced OBC. I've never heard of it working in a different fashion.

I am sure there is a TA on these Boards that can explain why it works that way.

This was not our experience, or I may be misunderstanding what you mean. Our TA received an email confirmation after we got back home from our cruise from DCL with the placeholder info. In the meanwhile I had chosen from dcl's website which cruise and which stateroom we wanted. I also emailed that information to our TA. And that same day, probably in less than an hour, we had our entire reservation taken care of. No phone calls necessary. We had however used our same travel agent for the cruise we were currently on, so that info is saved in the DCL system. If you are not using a TA on the current cruise, it is a good idea to know which TA you will be naming to the placeholder before you board.

One reminder however, I believe you do need to transfer a placeholder to a travel agent within 30 days. I'm not sure about that since we did it a few days after our cruise, so someone may have updated information regarding that.

A phone call is still required to change a Placeholder to an actual date. If you use a TA, then they are the ones who call to make the change.

That is standard, that's how it works. You are getting Disney's full OBC and then your travel agent's reduced OBC. I've never heard of it working in a different fashion.

I am sure there is a TA on these Boards that can explain why it works that way.

The reason the shipboard credit from the TA is reduced, is because a few years ago, Disney decided that TAs will get a reduced commission for onboard bookings and transferred cruises. Since any credit from a TA will come from their commission, it has to be reduced so that they are making something of an income.

A phone call is still required to change a Placeholder to an actual date. If you use a TA, then they are the ones who call to make the change.
We wanted to use our placeholder to book a cruise on opening day (we are platinum), plus some placeholders booked in some family members names (they are silver). We wanted to book a cruise on opening day. If you are platinum and want to book the day before general availability, the TA needs to call DCL, so she just used our placeholder. For the family placeholders that could only be made when available to the public, she converted the placeholder to a cheap 3 day cruise first. She was them able to book the real cruise online, rather than be on hold with DCL on a busy day.

We wanted to use our placeholder to book a cruise on opening day (we are platinum), plus some placeholders booked in some family members names (they are silver). We wanted to book a cruise on opening day. If you are platinum and want to book the day before general availability, the TA needs to call DCL, so she just used our placeholder. For the family placeholders that could only be made when available to the public, she converted the placeholder to a cheap 3 day cruise first. She was them able to book the real cruise online, rather than be on hold with DCL on a busy day.
How did converting it to a cheap sailing make a difference? Wouldn't she still have to phone to change the sailing date? Also, now, silver can book a day early, right? Platinum is 3 days early (and gold 2)?

How did converting it to a cheap sailing make a difference? Wouldn't she still have to phone to change the sailing date? Also, now, silver can book a day early, right? Platinum is 3 days early (and gold 2)?

No, once the placeholder is changed to a sail date, modifications can be done online, unless it's concierge.

We've never used a TA before. Do you pay them? Disney via the DCL website? If paying the TA, can you use gift cards?
Are you asking if the cost for the cruise is paid to the TA, or if you pay the TA for their services?

When you use a TA, you make your payments for the cruise through the TA, not directly to DCL. And there is no cost for using a TA. Well, SOME TA do charge, but, if you find one of those, run, very quickly, in the opposite direction.

Yes, you can use gift card when paying through a TA. You give the TA the gift card numbers, and they, in turn, submit the numbers to DCL.

We've never used a TA before. Do you pay them? Disney via the DCL website? If paying the TA, can you use gift cards?

Oh, I'm so sorry, I misunderstood your question. Yes, my TA allows me to pay online using their portal. I can use credit cards, Disney Reward Dollars, Disney Gift cards, and Disney Visa Debit and Credit cards; any or all combo of the above.

Obviously I'm a noob to all this. What is the best TA to go with to get the best onboard credit and or other perks?
"Best" depends on what you're looking for.

A lot of people use Dreams Unlimited (sponsor of this board), while others have a Travel Agent they've used for years, and wouldn't think of changing. Still others prefer using Costco (no onboard credit, but a cash card equal to 6-9% of cruise cost for use after returning. There are those who feel a TA that's reachable 24/7 is more important than OBC. Some TAs give gifts (photo packages or bottle of wine) instead of OBC. And there are TAs who don't give anything extra.

You need to ask around at various TAs and find one that works for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter