Booked Palo Brunch for all 7 of us. Should I be excited?

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
In all the years of cruising (since 2004), we were never interested in Palo for dinner. For 2 reasons, we don't like to dress up fancy, and we are not interested in fine dining. You can call us meat and potato folks. We order the plainest, most familiar food on the menu. My kids and I are extremely picky eaters. My DH will try anything, I am afraid of trying food unfamiliar to me. Onions make me gag, so I have an irrational fear that it will have onions in it.

Reading the posts about Palo Brunch, I have always felt that might be something we could do and enjoy. A bit more casual, and the food seems a little more down to earth. I just never could convince myself to make the reservation. One year I did book a brunch for DH and I, but canceled it.

Now that all my kids are over 18, I booked us all, plus my sister and niece the brunch and I am looking forward to it, I'm not yet excited. Paying $30 for a meal that I could otherwise get for free has me wondering if it is worth it. I have read some posts, and it seems it will be.

In all the years of cruising (since 2004), we were never interested in Palo for dinner. For 2 reasons, we don't like to dress up fancy, and we are not interested in fine dining. You can call us meat and potato folks. We order the plainest, most familiar food on the menu. My kids and I are extremely picky eaters. My DH will try anything, I am afraid of trying food unfamiliar to me. Onions make me gag, so I have an irrational fear that it will have onions in it.

Reading the posts about Palo Brunch, I have always felt that might be something we could do and enjoy. A bit more casual, and the food seems a little more down to earth. I just never could convince myself to make the reservation. One year I did book a brunch for DH and I, but canceled it.

Now that all my kids are over 18, I booked us all, plus my sister and niece the brunch and I am looking forward to it, I'm not yet excited. Paying $30 for a meal that I could otherwise get for free has me wondering if it is worth it. I have read some posts, and it seems it will be.
Well, you can't get that meal "otherwise for free". It's only available at Palo, and there's a cost.

Personally, I LOVE the brunch. Lots of choices, and you definitely will not go away empty.

You all will enjoy it! Brunch is relaxing. The service is excellent, and the food will speak for itself. Eating at Palo, despite the cost, is kinda like going on your first cruise. You don't know what to expect and then once you've been you wonder why you waited so long.

We love brunch at Palo and it’s well worth the upcharge to us. There is food there that you won’t find elsewhere on the ship, and we definitely have our favorites.

Well, you can't get that meal "otherwise for free". It's only available at Palo, and there's a cost.

Personally, I LOVE the brunch. Lots of choices, and you definitely will not go away empty.

By "meal" I meant lunch. Or breakfast. Not the specific food. I'm glad you love the brunch.

The brunch is really good. There is a menu that has many italian classics that you can order on top of the buffet that is available to you. This buffet will give you the opportunity to experiment different things that are not available in the "included" menu in the MDR or Cabanas.

If Palo were an "on land" restaurant, the cost we be probably close to $100 per person here in Ft. Lauderdale.
You can't beat the food or the cost, IMO.

Go hungry because the amount of food that is offered is off the charts! We don't really care for Palo dinner - Palo BRUNCH is another matter - it's so good!!!

We had done the Palo dinner and really enjoyed it on our first cruise. After reading so many awesome reviews, I signed us up for the brunch on our cruise in August on the Fantasy. It was by far the best meal I had!! We even ordered two rounds of the chicken parm! (There was also a seafood table in the buffet but I don’t enjoy seafood so did not take a picture).

Attachments

• 2183D81C-4333-4B13-A914-CED2DF563138.jpeg
    2183D81C-4333-4B13-A914-CED2DF563138.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 6CDE6873-40E0-4ECA-BF69-6FC51C192FE2.jpeg
    6CDE6873-40E0-4ECA-BF69-6FC51C192FE2.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 63
  • CFE76E30-9082-4BAD-8574-B4CECCCA373F.jpeg
    CFE76E30-9082-4BAD-8574-B4CECCCA373F.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 57CBC3F4-E785-4758-9374-B182C84DEE02.jpeg
    57CBC3F4-E785-4758-9374-B182C84DEE02.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 61
Just so you're aware, those pics are from either the Dream or Fantasy, which presents a more laid back and less, ahem, "stuffy" atmosphere for lack of a better term. The Magic and Wonder do not have Remy, which puts a lot more pressure on Palo to be refined. In our experience, our staff has hovered over us and made for a more awkward dining experience on the Magic than on the Dream. Just be aware of the difference depending on which ship you will be sailing on. Have a great cruise!

We love Palo. We are highly considering spending the extra money and trying to do brunch 2x and dinner 3x on our next cruise. We can't get enough of it.

In our experience, our staff has hovered over us and made for a more awkward dining experience on the Magic than on the Dream. Just be aware of the difference depending on which ship you will be sailing on.

Funny - I've never had that experience on any of the ships. I personally prefer Palo on the Magic to that on the Fantasy or Dream but more because of the physical layout and decor of the restaurant than due to the service. I'm not really sure what it is that I prefer, I just know that I do. But I've never felt that any of them were stuffy or that one was more laid back than others. Servers have always been friendly and attentive at all of them but I've never felt that they hovered. We've actually had the same server four times on the Magic and she's been excellent.

Funny - I've never had that experience on any of the ships. I personally prefer Palo on the Magic to that on the Fantasy or Dream but more because of the physical layout and decor of the restaurant than due to the service. I'm not really sure what it is that I prefer, I just know that I do. But I've never felt that any of them were stuffy or that one was more laid back than others. Servers have always been friendly and attentive at all of them but I've never felt that they hovered. We've actually had the same server four times on the Magic and she's been excellent.

This. And even if one does seem to be hovering, I've always found that a simple, polite "I'm fine for now, but I'll let you know if I need anything." gives them the message to give me some space.

We've done Palo 4 times on Wonder and once on Magic and we do love it. However, we always do brunch and we NEVER take our kids. It's one of those things that we reserve as a special time together.

We've had excellent experiences and staff every time.

We have done both dinner and brunch, I prefer the brunch! The food is amazing, I personally love the chicken parmesan. My husband thought the lasagna was amazing. The selection of items is amazing. If you ask the waiter they will point out things that have onions that you can avoid. They know a lot about the items on the buffet and the entrees. My daughter is allergic to gluten and they walked her through the layout of foods and pointed out those she could eat safely. She is now vegan also so our cruise in January she will tell them and I have complete faith there will be tons of options even with the restrictions.

I feel like such a bad DISer. I was booking some on board activities, saw that Palo brunch was available and didn't book it :rolleyes2

My travel companion AKA son is out of the country so I can't ask him if he's interested;

It's only a five day cruise; and

Honestly, I'm so frugal it's hard to think of spending that much for one meal, knowing I probably won't feel like eating much the rest of the day.

I think I'll save it for a longer cruise.

... I probably won't feel like eating much the rest of the day.
If you brunch correctly, you won't be able to eat for quite a while.

We were on the Fantasy 9/8 - 9/15/18. We really wanted to do the brunch after reading so much about it, but couldn't make a reservation online. We checked the Navigator and were able to get a reservation when we boarded. It was so enjoyable, we made a dinner reservation on the way out. (not for the same day...) Our next cruise is a four day and I'm hoping to get another brunch in.

@aboveH20 - I would try to get a reservation if it is still available to you. You can always cancel once you talk to your son.

We LOVE Palo brunch, and I think its the perfect choice for the party you are describing. There are simple choices and more adventurous things for those who want them. Since a large part of the meal is buffet style, you can actually see what is being offered and make a decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter