• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booked it and have questions (high functioning autism)

I want to take squishy gel filled balls to keep her hands busy on the plane. I bought some new ones especially for that purpose but now I am told that they have to follow the 3 oz rule!! I don't know how many fluid ounces are in each one, will this be a problem through security??

I would see about getting a note from her doctor or occupational therapist so they can be considered medical and then they can go through.

We are slowly but surely working on a proper diagnosis for my child. They say my daughter doesn't have some form of ASD based off that she has great language skills and understanding. They did some DSM form to rule this out. How do they "properly" diagnosis this condition?? If she does have say Aspergers is there medication for this or is this treated in some other way??

I just feel like I want to cry. I have tried my very best and then some to the point where I cry myself to sleep because I can't "fix" this. I have been after doctors to get a proper diagnosis since she was 4 and she is almost 10.

Thanks for any or all help.

Read the Tony Atwood and Temple Grandin books to understand the aspie mind. People with neurovariations (miswired brains) often adapt which means a person with very little autism may adapt so well that normal testing will not pinpoint the autism. You may never get a set answer.

The solution is to work on her weaknesses and build her strengths. You have been handed a puzzle to solve. Do allergy testing to make sure she is not over reacting to something. Bookworm and others will be by later. They have better advice. I guess you could say that sometimes you have to treat the kid like you lived in the 18th century when there was no testing. Temple Grandin is a renown autistic person who succeeded because her parents worked hard with her and at the time there was not much available for disabled children of any kind. Read her life story if you can to see what it was like growing up autistic in the 1950's and 1960's.

I send you big hugs and dole whips:hug: :hug:
Laurie:hug:

Waves to Becky :surfweb: :surfweb: :surfweb:

Sorry to butt I folks but what is a GAC? And is it available at Disneyland too? We are heading that way and my son (7yrs) is high funtioning autistic and these tips so far have been AMAZING regardless of the park! I do not get the chance to see such a wide online forum with such knowledgable people! This is AWESOME! :goodvibes

GAC - Guest Assistance Card

rather than trying to explain it here, you should read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread on the DisABILITIES section of this board. Post number 6 deals with the GAC.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713

I also struggle with all the abreviations that people use here on the DISboards. I don't remember where, but somewhere on this site there is a posting that lists the majority of the abreviations you will find here. It is in one of the stickeys at the top of one of the sections. Find it, it is worth looking at.

FAQs are stickied for this board and better explain.

Guest Assistance Card - GAC

This little piece of cardstock lets the CM know what special hidden needs a guest has. It is only for hidden disabilities. WDW does sun and autism but not DLR as that would not help in Disneyland.

Instead of repeatedly telling a CM that the guest is deaf, blind, cannot do stairs, etc the guest shows their GAC which lets the CM know that the guest needs special services like using the elevator at Star Tours at DLR.

There is a guest booklet at DLR and you could get a Stroller as a GAC if you need to take the stroller into lines. Very nice for low tone children, neurovariants, and sensitive kids.

Seems like you've gotten alot of good informtion here for most of your questions.

I have one other suggestion, though I know it's a bit controversial. I had similar enormous concerns about my DS (ASD) on his first flight (in 2004 as the TSA was really ramping up). After much nail biting, consulting, conversation, etc., we opted for medicinal intervention. With the confined space issue and all the stimulation, it seemed 50/50 to me whether we'd be allowed to stay on the plane through take off, let alone the whole flight. Our doctor made a suggestion, we tried it two weeks before the trip to make sure it had the desired effect (awake, able to walk, but mellow and fell asleep easily) and it was good from there. Make sure you try it before the actual event because sometimes medicines can have an opposite effect on our little ones.

As an aside, after that he's been fine on plane rides. He remembers being very calm the first time, so it's what he expects now.

You know you're kiddo best, just wanted to give another option.

I have called the airline SO many times that the last time I called I was told that it is noted that we will need assistance. :rotfl: Works for me! I worry about her running off in the security checks. It is hard when I will be by myself with her AND they said we had to walk through one at a time....letting go of her! I have talked to TSA officials as well and was told we can ask for a private screening which will bypass that...so we will see. I want to opt for private screening rather than the usual.

Now we have the stroller too which will make waiting easier I think. She has been sitting in the stroller a lot today so she likes it. :) It has pockets for her and she loves those. I was getting a little upset that she wouldn't get out of it so I could figure out how everything works on it before we leave. :upsidedow But it is a good thing! :banana:

I have tons for her to do when she is actually ON the plane and bulkhead seats have been requested so she won't kick anyone's seat or anything else. Hopefully that will give her a bit more room. My worry is more getting to the plane. All of the waiting around to board.

I haven't been able to stress as much THIS week as everything else that could go wrong, has gone wrong. So been dealing with other stuff! Now that has been taken care of, I can now stress about WDW and the trip. :scared1: 4 more days until we leave! (Going the night before just so we are closer to the airport and don't go late!)

REmember that moms and kids feed off of your energy. Last night mom sensed I was having one nasty day even with my perkiness. At the airport while waiting pretend you are at home and do things with her. At home you have an hour to kill so you would play with her or give her some music to listen to. Do not let her sense you are worried, scared or what ever.

When you board you will not have the seat in front of you as you have a bulkhead seat. They require passengers to place everything into the storage bin while taking off and landing so be prepared to put stuff up there then later take down any bags you need. You can keep your purse of course but no duffel bags on your feet.

I am waiting for the trip report. I send you lots of hugs and remember when you started out on the board, boy you are getting there and soon you will be at WDW wondering what the fuss was about.

Hugs
Laurie:hug:

Thank you for the good vibes! I always want her to experience new things and have booked a few out of her comfort zone things that I hope she will enjoy! I know they could possibly be too much for her and we might have to leave. I am ok with that! I do want her to try them though! She might really love them after we get there. :thumbsup2 If not, we will do something else. :cutie:

Thanks for letting me knwo about putting our bags up, I didn't know that. Always good to know ahead of time so I can let my daughter know! Thenshe won't be upset about not having her things untl after take off.

I have no idea what 'bulkhead
seats are but going to try and google right now. They did say those seats would be best for her.

I do not like to hotlink so here is a bunch that will show you some bulkhead seats. The only problem is you stare at a wall and on take off and landing have to put your stuff other than a small bag up in storage.

Singapore Airlines probably
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y2...e Business/?action=view&current=IMG_5382b.jpg

http://image06.webshots.com/6/3/95/98/78439598RddZPp_ph.jpg

If the bulkhead is behind you then you cannot recline but that will not be a problem for you. www.seatguru.com if you do get worried about your seat, lol

Proud of you kiddo and you are going to have a great trip.

hugs and chocolates
Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter