Booked first cruise...

CyndiLouWho

DIS Veteran
Alaska May 2019. Now what? PIF is in January, activities booking in March. So, until then I just save up my money to make that payment.
What can I book in March? I know excursions can be booked, but I think we’ll go private on most of those except maybe the one on the tender. Since it’s our first cruise, will that even be available since we get to book last? What else, Character meals? What other activities? I’ve read these threads for a while but don’t want to miss anything.

Alaska May 2019. Now what? PIF is in January, activities booking in March. So, until then I just save up my money to make that payment.
What can I book in March? I know excursions can be booked, but I think we’ll go private on most of those except maybe the one on the tender. Since it’s our first cruise, will that even be available since we get to book last? What else, Character meals? What other activities? I’ve read these threads for a while but don’t want to miss anything.

If you booked with DCL you have 30 days from that date to transfer your booking and get some extra incentives. TAs will usually give you a reduced on board credit for the reservation, and Costco will give you what amounts to double (8.5%) as a Costco cash card. There isnt a downside, its all something back to you. You still book excursions, etc when your booking window opens on the DCL website. The only real reason you would need to contact whoever you transfer the booking to is for a date or room change.

You can make payments in increments, you dont have to wait until the PIF date. You can also get Disney gift cards when there are deals and use those to save some more money.

Join the cruise group for your date. There is one in the cruise meet forum and you will find another one on a popular social networking website.

If you booked with DCL you have 30 days from that date to transfer your booking and get some extra incentives. TAs will usually give you a reduced on board credit for the reservation, and Costco will give you what amounts to double (8.5%) as a Costco cash card. There isnt a downside, its all something back to you. You still book excursions, etc when your booking window opens on the DCL website. The only real reason you would need to contact whoever you transfer the booking to is for a date or room change.

Join the cruise group for your date. There is one in the cruise meet forum and you will find another one on a popular social networking website.
Already transferred to Costco :)

What port is tendered?

Look into travel insurance. If you need a medical waiver, or cancel for any reason coverage, you only have 14-21 days from the first payment (deposit) depending on the policy, to get it without an exorbitant up charge.

You can also look into booking excursions independently from DCL. Just be very mindful of the return time to make sure you get back on the ship on time.

Dont try to do it all. You are not going to. Pick one or 2 things ou must do each day and enjoy your time......Rebook onboard!

Look into travel insurance. If you need a medical waiver, or cancel for any reason coverage, you only have 14-21 days from the first payment (deposit) depending on the policy, to get it without an exorbitant up charge.

You can also look into booking excursions independently from DCL. Just be very mindful of the return time to make sure you get back on the ship on time.
Already have the insurance!
I will be booking independently since we have credit cards points to cover the excursions that way. I have been reading on Disboards & making notes of which independent excursions people like.

For a first cruise at 75 days before your cruise: you can book your port arrival time, Disney excursions, character breakfast, character meet and greets (for Frozen and Princess Gathering), and beverage tastings.
Does Disney or Costco send a reminder when its' 75 days prior or do you calendar count? Thanks!

There is a tender at the glacier in Tracy Arm, I believe

I think that is a paid excursion. Not saying don’t do it. But I don’t think it is a free-for-all.

Edit: Yes. It is Glacier Explorer TC01 that is $260/adult and $185/child 0-9. You have to sign up for the excursion to even worry about tendering. Guests must be ambulatory - wheelchairs or scooters are not permitted.

Last edited:
Does Disney or Costco send a reminder when its' 75 days prior or do you calendar count? Thanks!
I have no idea about whether an email is sent (I can't remember what happened with my first cruise 2 years ago).

If you log in to the Disney cruise website, under 'My Disney Cruise', click on 'my reservations'. It will list your online check-in date. I just add it to my calendar.

I think that is a paid excursion. Not saying don’t do it. But I don’t think it is a free-for-all.

Edit: Yes. It is Glacier Explorer TC01 that is $260/adult and $185/child 0-9. You have to sign up for the excursion to even worry about tendering. Guests must be ambulatory - wheelchairs or scooters are not permitted.
Right, that’s why I wondered if I’d even be able to book that excursion since I’d be in the last group to book. That would be the only excursion we’d book with Disney.

I
I have no idea about whether an email is sent (I can't remember what happened with my first cruise 2 years ago).

If you log in to the Disney cruise website, under 'My Disney Cruise', click on 'my reservations'. It will list your online check-in date. I just add it to my calendar.
Just got an email yesterday from DCL with a link to the “online planning center “ that list my PIF date and activities booking date.

Right, that’s why I wondered if I’d even be able to book that excursion since I’d be in the last group to book. That would be the only excursion we’d book with Disney.

Really no way of knowing. It would depend on how many people want to do it. Some cruises a lot of Platinum, Gold, and Silvers might want to and sell it out. Others they may be fine with the views from the ship and not sign up for it so it would be available.

Do be aware that sometimes in May they are unable to go far up the arm due to ice, so it could be cancelled even if you are able to sign up.

We did the version Celebrity offered and it was worth EVERY penny!

I did all our other excursions via private companies - salmon fishing in Ketchikan, Whale Watching in Juneau, Zip-Line in Skagway. Let me know if you want recommendations - all of our excursions were outstanding!

We did the version Celebrity offered and it was worth EVERY penny!

I did all our other excursions via private companies - salmon fishing in Ketchikan, Whale Watching in Juneau, Zip-Line in Skagway. Let me know if you want recommendations - all of our excursions were outstanding!
Feel free to share any recommendations!

For a first cruise at 75 days before your cruise: you can book your port arrival time, Disney excursions, character breakfast, character meet and greets (for Frozen and Princess Gathering), and beverage tastings.
So the only character meets that can be booked are Frozen and Pricesses? All other characters may just wander the ship?
Is the character breakfast Mickey and friends, or something else?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter