• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Book review?

millerpjm

DIS Veteran
Has anyone read this book?

PassPorter's Open Mouse for Walt Disney World and the Disney Cruise Line: Easy Access Vacations for Travelers with Extra Challenges

I am planning a trip next year with my ADHD son, and wonder if it's worth getting? TIA!

Most definatley worth it. You will use it over and over. As far as I am concerned it is a must have. So much information in it. All the info for the question you have. Plus all the info you need but didn't know you had questions for. DS at this point is considered a low functioning adult. He is ADD even at 23. He also has OCD. Dyslexic. Siezure disorder and language based learning disorders. DD also has siezures. They are well controlled for them both on meds as are my own. DD is coded as mild to moderate mr with global difficiencys. We wouldn't go to WDW without Open Mouse. You won't be sorry.

You would be foolish not to get it. It gives answers for issues that you may not have thought of as needing accommodations, such as infants, pooh sized, seniors, etc. I was surprised how much info is in there.

I was a peer reviewer for the first issue of it and would defineatly recommend it.
I have 2 warnings though -

First, it has a lot of information, so may look overwhelming to start with. It's best to start out in small 'doses' to avoid getting overloaded.
Keep in mind that there is some stuff in there that you may not need - like all the resort stuff if you have already decided which resort you are staying at. Knowing what you DON'T have to look at helps.

Second, at first reading, you may feel like underlining everything because everything looks significant. If you do that, you will have so much underlined that it won't be helpful at all. So, I would suggest first skimming thru an entire section that you already know something about. If there are things you think you will want to note, Post-it Notes or Post it Tabs are good for temporary marking. After you have read a bit, you will start to see some patterns and may find that you don't need all those things marked any more.
So, I would go thru several times before actually marking anything.

Also (I guess this is #3 ;)
there are things listed for specific conditions (like autism) that may be helpful for other conditions too - For example, they may have stairs marked for an attraction for someone with mobility issues, but you may have a child with autism who balks at stairs. So, my suggestion is to look at the information for all conditions to see what else might be helpful in your situation.

I agree, this is definitely worth every penny! I have a few friends who highly recommended it, and I got my copy last year to start planning our first trip (leaving in 20 days by the way :banana:) I also purchased the most current PassPorter's Guide to WDW, because some of the information in the Open Mouse was outdated (it is a few years old, unless they've released a new one in the past year?) But I was able to cross-reference between the two books easily enough to decide which attractions and things my son would be able to handle. I give it :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thanks for the input! I have the regular Passporters already (love their books-bought one for my first DCL cruise in 2007 and it was SO worth it!).

I was debating it because there are days that are relatively "normal" at our house (as I mentioned, DS has ADHD) however the last couple of daytrips we've taken have not gone quite as planned, so I figure it does not hurt to have all the info we can!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter