• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Book Recommendations

princesslynn

Earning My Ears
Hello! We are taking a multi-generational trip March 2015 (my parents, my aunt, my brother and his family, me and my family-12 people total). My mom has been battling a long illness and as a result now suffers from seizures, mobility issues and is oxygen dependent. Even though she has a lot of challenges she is getting stronger every day, and a trip to WDW with family is keeping her motivated during her recovery.

My family has had multiple WDW trips, however, we have never travelled with anybody with an ECV. I wondered if anybody could recommend a book that discussed WDW with disabilities? I wanted something that spoke about individual rides, etc. I have been reading the stickies on this board but I thought a book might be something easier for my mom to read.

My parents are only planning on visiting the parks a few days (the younger folk will probably go every day) so I want to make sure that I help to make sure the times my mom ventures into the parks are the best they can be!

Thank you in advance!

There are really no books I would recommend specifically for WDW with disabilities.
The best one is Passporter's Open Mouse, but there are a couple of issues to be aware of.

First of all, the most current issue of the book was published in 2007. A lot has changed since 2007 - only looking at MK, Toontown is gone and there is a whole new Fantasyland!
Plus, more attractions have had accessibility added.

And, also, the book is well over 400 pages long and can be very overwhelming to look at. For each attraction, they use codes and it can be hard to sort them all out. So, I think in your situation, that book would be too difficult.

My suggestion would be the Birnbaum WDW book. It is the official guidebook and has good general descriptions of attractions plus some pictures. It's a very easy read and I think the descriptions would be helpful.
It is also up to date - they publish a new edition every year. Although it is not aimed at guests with disabilities, it has some general information about touring with disabilities.
Along with that book, I would suggest downloading and printing the park maps for guests with disabilities that are available on the Disney website here:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

Scroll to the bottom of the first white box to find the map links. The maps include icons for each attraction so you can see warnings, accessibility and where the 'mobility entrance' is.
The links are to PDF Giles, which you can download to your computer, then print. You can pick up copies of the maps at the parks.

I think between those maps and the Birnbaum book, you would find the most information in the easiest to read format.

Another possibility, but more work, would be to copy the information and pictures from the Disney website to make her own personal guidebook. You could include only the parks and attractions she is likely to go on (for example, given her health issues, I'm guessing she will probably not be going on Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest or Rock N Roller Coaster, so you could leave those out and focus on attractions she would be gong on.
The Disney website has specific information about each attraction and the description includes accessibility information and warnings.

Thank you, Sue! I like your idea of copying and pasting information. I have time this summer to work on that and that way it can be customized for her (and not have it overwhelming for her to read).

She has come so far and is working so hard. She can walk much further than before (she can walk the grocery store now sometimes), but no way can she or should she walk WDW.

She is a tiny little thing (less than 100 lbs) and my oldest is 6'4" 275 (giant football player). I figure between him and the other 2 "big" grand kids, if she needs a shoulder to lean on when getting in or out of something she'd be covered if she wanted to park the ECV and walk the queue. She is so excited; My family has been enough that I feel like I "know" Disney in regards to rides, places to eat, transportation, tips, etc., I just need to learn about Disney with health issues.

Thank you, again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter