• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Book recommendation for child

FaithsWish

You can't take the sky from me...
What book would you reccomend for a child that is cognitively 4-5 years old to prepare for a trip to WDW?

Lots of pictures, examples of what to expect, not too many words...

I tried searching on a couple book sites, but wow...too many results!

Thanks in advance!

While I haven't seen this exact book, I never liked this series because it seemed to be all about the pictures. I think this maybe why you would like it because it has so many beautiful pictures!
Birnbaum's Walt Disney World for Kids 2014 (Birnbaum Guides)

While I haven't seen this exact book, I never liked this series because it seemed to be all about the pictures. I think this maybe why you would like it because it has so many beautiful pictures! Birnbaum's Walt Disney World for Kids 2014 (Birnbaum Guides)

This is the same book I got for my brother, who cognitively is 8 on a good day and 4 on a bad day.

We ordered Birnbaum's Walt Disney World for Kids (2015) last night. :yay: Excited for it to get here!

Any other recommendations? What about at a toddler level? Sometimes when we are first introducing a new concept, we need to use toddler level books first, then as she begins to understand we can move up to the 4-5 year level.

So just in case this overwhelms her at first....any "younger" books to recommend?

I'm not sure about "books" per se, but it sounds like maybe you are looking for "social stories" to help your daughter prepare for a vacation.
  • If you are flying, a social story about the airport, security, sitting on the plane, take-off/landing, the next airport, etc.
  • A story about staying at a hotel, is everyone in the same room, suitcases, etc.
  • Maybe a story about riding the bus (or will you use a rental car?)
  • Eating out in restaurants
  • Not sure what other aspects of the trip you'd like to review with her

SueM recently posted about airports that offer a pre-trip visit. If you live near one of those locations it could be helpful. Or call your local airport and ask.

I'll see what I can find for links to social stories. You can probably Google and come up with some. You might even ask your daughter's teachers if they have any.

One note...we plan and prepare, but I try not to prepare so much that it ends up causing stress. You have to leave some areas vague or open to adjustment. If you plan too rigidly, and she's a strict schedule-follower, it can backfire when plans need adjusting.

Enjoy your vacation!

Social Stories are fantastic and we have used them for trips in the past. She pretty much has the traveling part down. Since we were military for so long, we have always been far away from family and have taken her on several flights.

As long as we can pre-board she is usually pretty good. :goodvibes

She enjoys flipping through picture books of new things. The pictures help her feel comfortable with what is about to happen.

The book we ordered will be here tomorrow, I'm excited to share it with her. :)

It arrived on Friday!

We made a quick trip to DC for a Nationals game and Faith "read" the book on the drive down. She liked the pictures and made up her own dialog. :lmao:

Thank you for the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter