Book now to lock in ticket price or wait for possible promo?

JTandEmom

Earning My Ears
Looking to head down mid-late September (gotta get in one more trip before kid turns 10 ). Husband wants to wait until promos are announced to book, I'm getting nervous about rumors of upcoming ticket increase and think we should book now. Wwyd?

If you book now, you will lock in the current pricing and secure a room. However, if you are traveling in September chances are there will be a promotion available for that time. If there is an you apply the promotion to your current reservation, the prices will be adjusted to the prices effective that day (not the previous prices locked in). So, really the only thing you would be doing now would be securing a room.

If you be traveling during a time when promotions were not available, say Thanksgiving or the week after Christmas, then I would say book now to lock in current rates AND secure a room.

Personally, I'd consider buying tickets offsite (though I have always purchased through WDW before, these boards taught me about Parksavers, which has pretty good deals, depending on the length of tickets you want). Then you're locking in current ticket prices AND waiting on promos to book your room. DIS wisdom seems to be that booking ahead in hopes of a deal may be counter-productive (because the room is already sold - no need to offer discounts) so waiting is wise unless you're set on a certain resort or room type and willing to forego a possible discount to make sure you get it.

I would wait... I think you have a better chance at a deal if you wait.

I always thought Disney would let you apply promotions to previously made reservations?? Is this not accurate?

No, you can change your reservation to the current promotion, but only if space is available for your resort and room type at the promotional rate. Essentially you are cancelling and rebooking the new offer. If your resort and dates do not show any new booking availability for the promotion, then you cannot apply it to your previous reservation either.

I second the idea of purchasing tickets now through Undercover Tourist or Park savers then hoping for a good room-only discount. Free dining does not look promising anyway based on the summer offer.

Just keep in mind that if Free Dining does happen for Fall (like it has in previous years) then it usually requires that you book a package with park hoppers. You might not want to buy your tickets ahead for that reason because you don't want to have to buy your tickets twice in order to take advantage of that deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter