BOO! Oct 30-Nov 4 PTR

disneylarks

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! My name is Molly and this is my very first post here! I'm not quite sure where to start, but here goes.

My (now) husband and I began our Disneyland planning when we were star crossed high school sweethearts and couldn't wait for the day when we would go there together. He had visited twice as a child, but I had never been. We love Disney and spent our dating years collecting all the movies, keeping a running checklist and hunting down ones that were in the vault. Fast forward a few years, to late March 2014, when we took our first trip with our (then) 19 month old, Minnie obsessed daughter. And we were all hooked!

We had a great time but made a few key mistakes in planning and taking that first trip and immediately started saving again upon coming home. (We saved our change for years to fund our first trip!) We ended up going back only 11 months later in early February 2015 with our daughter, my father in law and sister in law. This was absolutely the best trip ever! We stayed in the Disneyland Hotel, which was such a fun improvement from our first trip, and the group just made for a really fun time. We also were there during spring break and a dance competition at the convention center during our first trip and when we went in February the parks were empty! (Which was totally worth the ride closures and shorter hours in our opinion.)

This brings us to the planning of our next trip, which is tentatively planned for January 29/30th - February 3rd/4th, depending on how many days we decide to spend in the park. We are obviously a long way out still (although less than 300 days!) so I'm hoping to use this place to fill the void until then and document our plans, projects and preparations until then!

We are hopeful to stay on property again and our travel group will (hopefully) consist of the same people as our last trip: myself, my husband, our daughter, my father in law, and sister in law, with the addition of our son, who has been born since our last trip. The kids will be 4 and 1 at the time of our trip.

My first project is going to be to devise a first draft of our packing lists and start using the things we need for the trip for gifts - we have been doing Disney gift cards for Easter baskets, etc. and still have both the kids' and my husband's birthdays, Father's Day and Christmas! So those lists will be coming soon.

This is going to be fun! Happy planning!

Update #1: Change of plans

Considering how far away our trip is, I am quite confident that our plans are due to change more than a few times, especially due to the spontaneous nature of my in laws. But they make me more relaxed and I make their vacation run smoothly, so it works out well :-)

We are currently looking at the dates January 22 - January 28, with either 4 or 5 days in the park. We're waiting to hear back about a DVC rental at the Grand Californian! We'll know by June if we'll be able to book that, and if not, we'll have to go from there. I'd assume we will probably stay at the Disneyland Hotel if this booking doesn't work.

Update #2:
The DVC rental did not work out for us, which puts us back at square one in the planning process.

We are looking at January 22nd-28th or January 29th-February 4th, with either a 4 or 5 day Park Hopper. My next move will be starting to compare package prices vs a la carte prices and finding the best way to purchase tickets, book hotel, etc. as the prices are released. (We used Costco last time and we were very pleased with the value.)
I'm very open to staying off property, but even as I am the planner for our vacations, my husband and father in law are calling the shots on this one and won't even hear of it. So we will likely be staying at the Disneyland Hotel again.

I also want to start watching for low cost flights in the coming months. We found our flight last trip within a few weeks of going and found cheap fares so I'm pretty confident we will be able to do so again.

I am pretty disappointed the DVC rental didn't work out, as it would have solidified the trip so much more to make those reservations today. I was looking forward to starting a countdown and making some official plans, but such is life.

We got to California on the 3rd but didn't go to the parks until the 4th. Just missed you!

Another change of plans & a most happy one!

Our trip has been moved up and we are officially going to Disneyland!

We are going Oct. 30th - Nov. 4th, we booked the flight this morning and couldn't be more excited! 54 days and counting!

We are seriously so excited!!

Now some next steps are:
- Deciding how many days to spend in the parks
We will be there on Halloween & we're debating between having it be our first day in the parks or going to the Halloween party. Any thoughts are most welcome!
- Purchasing tickets & booking hotel room
I'm not sure how this will pan out because it's super important to my husband and FIL to stay on property, but we've added an infant to our party since our last visit and I need to call and find out if a baby actually puts us over capacity for a room or if it's just an online booking problem.
- Book a shuttle from/to airport
I'm hoping to book the Disney Express or find a shuttle that provides car seats because there's no way I'm hauling two kids AND two fifty pound car seats through the airport for them to just sit in a hotel room closet the whole trip. (The seats, not the kids :-) )

Are you trying to have four adults and two children in one room? I think they'll want you to book two rooms, or go for a suite (which is about the cost of two rooms!).

More very exciting updates again today!!!

We have booked and put first deposit down on hotel/tickets through Costco! We are staying 5 nights at the Disneyland Hotel with a 4 day Park Hopper!
I've been so happy with the price of Costco packages (we booked through them for our last trip too). It's the one tip I've never read on another blog/site...maybe my best kept Disney secret :-) The price is always the best I can find, and the package includes a $60 Disney gift card AND a character dining meal for everyone in your party!

So, now it's OFFICIALLY official! DISNEYLAND, HERE WE COME!

Last edited:
More details to be planned:
-Shuttle
-Grocery delivery
-Halloween: We are not doing the Halloween Party on the night of the 31st, but I'm wondering if there's maybe some sort of trick or treating in the hotel or Downtown Disney? I'm sure our 4 year old will be plenty happy just to be in Disneyland on Halloween but it would still be neat if there was someplace for her to do a little candy collecting. READ ALSO: costume. Of course this is the year she's dead set on being a Harry Potter character :-)
-Surprising her: we're considering not telling her until it's time to go. There are pros and cons to both I think. I'd love for her to be involved in the count down and trip prep, etc, but I know dropping that bomb on her at 5 am on the way to the airport would be super fun, too.
And of course, the best part of all, making our dining reservations and a game plan for our days in the parks!

Last edited:
Yay! I'm excited your trip is happening!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter