• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boma? With Peanut and Tree nut allergies.

DisneyMomOfThree

Mouseketeer
My DS8 is allergic to Peanuts and Tree nuts. I thought I had seen a thread somewhere that Boma's was not a good idea if you have nut allergies; I can't find it now. Is this true? We have to Disney multiple times and have never had a problem but we avoid the chinese food due to the high content of nuts in the different dishes.

I think Anne had a bad experience here. And it seems like someone else who has a child allergic to peanuts had a reaction. However others have said they had a wonderful experience.

So....I think it TOTALLY depends on the chef you get. I also think, if it was me and I wanted to eat there and my child is young enough to stick with a kid's type meal (chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, hot dog, fries) I would ask for a meal to be especially prepared with these plain old boring kid staples rather than some of the more interesting food Boma usually serves. The downside there is paying so much for the meal - I imagine you'd get charged the buffet price. Also arrange for a dessert in advance. I think where you especially get into problems at Boma is for those with more adventurous palates (like an adult usually) who wants to eat something more interesting than a hot dog.

I will see if I can find the thread mentioning the name of the chef some folks really liked here. Perhaps you can call Boma and find out if he is still there.

I'm allergic to tree nuts and I've eaten at Boma many times. However, I'm an adult and it is my choice to take the risk of cross-contamination.
I think it depends on your comfort level and the severity of his allergies. Is just being around foods with nuts enough to trigger a reaction? In that case I would probably not risk it, since there will be nut proteins on every surface in the restaurant.

The Chef there that is fantastic is TJ. He loves to show off his creativity and makes awesome special dishes that are acceptible to your diet restrictions. My daughter is allergic to peanuts and vegetarian and he made her a virtual feast. Much of Boma's foods are made with sugar and TJ made me a feast with all the sweetening done with Splenda (I did inform them well in advance).

I ate there before TJ was there, and had a terrible time with things. The chef rushed through the buffet, beasically telling me that everything was off limites before leaving me standing there with nothing to eat. He never offered to make me anything different, and our server waited until DH and DS were done with their meals before offering to "get me a chicked breast from teh kitchen." Too little too late, then he ahd the nerve to charge me. I should have complained.

I'm sure things are better with TJ there, but the place is still a cross contamination nightmare.

I've successfully had breakfast there, but some servers and chef's are more accomodating than others.

Anne

This seems to be true at all the sit down restaurants. We went to Garden Grill twice within the same week. They were wonderful the first time and the second time awful. The second time the chef offered me a rice crispy treat for dessert saying that his diabetic relative eats them. Yuck. Full of carbs and sugar. Very disappointed.
It really depends on the personality of the chef and his willingness to go the extra mile.

We were able to get pasta for dd at Boma. She didn't eat off the buffet - the chef made it special. (She has peanut, tree nut, and milk allergies).

I asked about Boma for this past trip and called their directly before deciding one way or another. I have anaphylactic egg & banana allergies and am also allergic (to a lesser degree) to peanuts & treenuts plus others. After speaking with the chef there I was not comfortable enough to make the ADR and feel completely safe because of the cross contaimination issues.

Also, I posted this in another thread, but my friend's son was recently ill with a reaction to some residue from their table and had to be treated for an anaphylactic reaction. Sometimes no matter how careful we are as parents & caregivers it can still happen.

One oldest ds who is 13 is allergic to milk, peanuts and shrimp and many fruits and vegetables we are staying at AKL. Is this the same restraunt that has the buffet for breakfast? If so I guess I'm going to be needing to make some calls? !

Yes - Boma is the buffet restaurant at the AKL. Make some calls and see how comfortable you are.

I've also asked on the Technical support forum for them to try and stop running the "google" ads for peanuts and tree nuts on posts about peanut and tree nut allergies. :rolleyes:

Another place that's LOADED with nuts is the Kona Cafe. I've been able to eat there without incident (other than having a tray of drinks dumped down my back by a clumsy server having a bad day--that' another topic though) but I'm wary and extraordinarily cautious there. I haven't always had the warm fuzzies, and NEVER eat dessert there.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter