Bohemian Rhapsody (the movie)..... (spoilers?)

As a huge Queen fan who is dying to see this, but not twice just yet, can anyone tell me if they think it is appropriate for a 10 year old? My son, 10, is dying to see it as well, but I can't tell from reviews and write ups just yet if there is anything too "risque".

He also loves Queen, even plays a number of their songs on guitar, but it's that age where I walk a fine line on what's OK or not. From reading here, at least so far, seems like it should be just fine? (Our daughter, 16, wants too see it too, but I'm making her wait until I decide if we can all go see it together) :D

Yeah, its a tough call at that age. For what it's worth, there were kids that age at the showing I went to and I never thought "oh those poor kids shouldn't be here" LOL. If he's a fan of Queen and even reasonably mature (and it sounds like he is!), I vote it would be fine! ::yes::

We went to see this movie Saturday night. I only knew a little bit about the band before seeing it. I knew that I thought their songs I heard before were good, and I knew who Freddie Mercury was... that's about it. I really didn't know what to expect. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the guy who played Freddie Mercury did an outstanding job.

About 1972 or 73, after the Beatles broke up, Apple Records released two "Greatest Hits" double albums. The "Red Album" contained songs from 1962-66. The "Blue Album" from 1967-70.

DSC04701_large.JPG
AU-US-0494.jpg

Song lists are from CDs, but appear to be the same that were on the original vinyl albums.

MI0003033799.jpg
MI0003033787.jpg

Oh, the memories! I remember calling them the "Red" and "Blue" Albums

As a huge Queen fan who is dying to see this, but not twice just yet, can anyone tell me if they think it is appropriate for a 10 year old? My son, 10, is dying to see it as well, but I can't tell from reviews and write ups just yet if there is anything too "risque".

He also loves Queen, even plays a number of their songs on guitar, but it's that age where I walk a fine line on what's OK or not. From reading here, at least so far, seems like it should be just fine? (Our daughter, 16, wants too see it too, but I'm making her wait until I decide if we can all go see it together) :D

There are scenes of implied sex between Freddie and Mary and there a a couple of scenes where there is deep kissing between Freddie and men and implied sex. Nothing graphic or explicit IMO. I would not have had a problem taking my son as a ten year old

I agree with China mom. There were no truely graphic sex or drug scenes. And no full nudity. Not much worse than what you see on tv. As long as you are ok with the themes, you should be ok.

Yeah, its a tough call at that age. For what it's worth, there were kids that age at the showing I went to and I never thought "oh those poor kids shouldn't be here" LOL. If he's a fan of Queen and even reasonably mature (and it sounds like he is!), I vote it would be fine! ::yes::

Wonder how many of us know 10yo kids more mature than some adults. :confused3

Thanks, I've got both of those but this is honestly the first time I have ever heard of them referred to as Red or Blue Album. The White album was called that because it was nothing but White. We always referred to those to as just the best of the Beatles.

Oh, the memories! I remember calling them the "Red" and "Blue" Albums

I always called them the red and blue albums too. But I guess it wasn't necessarily a common thing to do.

I finally saw it and I LOVED it! I'm haappy that the movie concentrated on Freddy Mercury's (and the band's) huge talent, and that it focused on the music. I'm glad it ended where it did. I think Rami Malek deserves an Oscar!

I didn't recognize Mike Myers :laughing:

Last edited:

DH and I saw it last night. His pick. He is a huge Queen fan. I truly enjoyed it as well without being the huge fan DH is. I enjoy many of Queens songs but never owned an album of theirs. Music was great, story was interesting, glad it focused on the the relationship between band members as a group rather than just on Freddie.

We saw it this morning and both loved it. Both of us are Queen fans, though I'm the bigger one. Rami did an amazing job and yes he deserves an Oscar for it. The casting of John and Brian was eerily spot on, those guys looked so much like the real John and Brian. All of Live Aid was done so well, it looked just like the actual event. Absolutely amazing and I would love to see it again.

I cried a little seeing the Twin Towers of Wembley, I still miss them.

Just home from finally seeing this movie and I loved it, too! It brought back so many memories!

I remember the first Queen song I heard on the radio was Killer Queen (1974). Had A Night at the Opera on 8 track and loved all those songs! My friends and I used to sing Bohemian Rhapsody in full, without music, down my friend's cellar, lol. (Love the story of singing on the Pop bus!)

Was listening to A Night at the Opera on the way home in the car tonight and was thinking about a lot of old friends from those days. Two of my friends from that era had AIDS; one died, way too young, and one is still living with it. I was also remembering being a young nurse and taking care of AIDS patients before there was sustaining treatment available. It was so, so sad. So with all this in mind, I found myself choking back tears through some parts of the movie, especially toward the end. But still, I think it will probably go down as one of my favorites as I love movies about music from that period, even if they're bittersweet!

My DD21 loved it, too, and she didn't know a lot about them or their music but she does love Bohemian Rhapsody. (I think she may have been a little teary, too!)

I think that I am going to have to go see it now... Oh Honey guess what we are going to see this weekend... :D

My husband and I saw it today-thought it was amazing! We'd forgotten just how dynamic Freddie Mercury was and the talent he had!!! Really enjoyed it and the Live Aid performance was stunning.

....I got to see them in concert at Madison Square Garden 3 times - they were PHENOM!

I went to see it last week and I really enjoyed it. I would go back again to see it. I also thought Rami did an outstanding job. Loved him in Mr. Robot. I always liked Queen's music but honestly did not know anything about the band or Freddie Mercury other than is onstage persona. I didn't own any of their music. I loved learning about his history with Mary and his family and his interactions with his bandmates. I liked learning that they all had hits that they had written (I thought FM wrote them all).

I watched the real live aid concert after seeing the film and it was amazing to see that they duplicated it for the movie move by move. Fantastic.

Joseph Mazzello (John Deacon) was the young boy from the original Jurassic Park and The River Wild. Had not seen him in anything since but recognized him right away. Looking at his IMDB page he has been in a ton of stuff.

MJ

I just saw Bohemian Rhapsody for a second time. I loved, Loved, LOVED Bohemian Rhapsody.
uygDcmQAE0seRwG4T7hLewTfB8cygM3zx_8mE8Dn4yNpcHCjN1wCu1wF3At64gForRsTibhmEHk4ZVzVpWA-olKMIQ=s0-d-e1-ft
I was too young to have followed the band at the time. There were also a lot of great hard rock bands at the time. And a lot of singers doing sensational stuff on stage, wearing fantastical costumes and having great guitar solos. Queen was among them. I listened to a lot of their songs on the radio and remember when Freddie Mercury died. I had a couple dear friends and a lot of coworkers die during that time due to AIDS. It's not till years later, listening to "classic hard rock" radio stations that I fully listened to songs I hadn't heard in a while and fully appreciated the quality of music much of it was.

So, I loved going back in time and seeing the retrospective of Queen. The drugs & partying were there in the movie. There were at least 4 scenes showing the partying as well as the scene with Mary, where the drugs are in plain sight. Also a person who intentionally betrayed Freddie said outright in a TV interview that Freddie slept with a lot of guys, often on the same night at the same parties. That was the Pre-AIDS era of that. Straight & gay people, especially rock bands & musicians, slept with fans & groupies. Even Donny Osmond said he would have done it, instead of spending the nights alone in his hotel rooms after concerts, if it hadn't been for the strict upbringing of his church & family and being disciplined enough to follow it, however much he had been tempted. And he said YES he was definitely tempted.

How much more evidence does one need? It's NOT what this movie is about, nor did Queen want to focus on the party aspect of that time period. If one needs more evidence of the partying of that era, there are plenty of other movies & documentaries about it. If one needs a chronicle of how AIDS ravaged the gay community during that time, the HBO docu-drama called, And The Band Played On, with Matthew Modine, is a fantastic one.

The movie IS about the journey of Freddie Mercury & Queen. They were simply human beings, misfits & outsiders who wanted to make great music, connect with the audiences, and to love and be loved. Freddie particularly, and at a terrible cost. The movie shows many instances where Freddie felt increasingly isolated and lonely, especially as Mary moved on to live her own life.

In various interviews, with Jimmy Kimmel & on the Red Carpet at the Golden Globes, Rami Malek was asked what was the audition process for Bohemian Rhapsody? They actually approached Rami. It was the furthest thing from his mind to even think he'd ever be considered to play Freddie Mercury, even if he wanted to, as the only thing he's been known for is as his character on, Mr. Robot, as the alienated, anti-social loner, who doesn't talk to people and only wears one costume the whole series - a hoodie. Rami said they said they saw something in his eyes. He thinks it was a bit of mischief that they saw.

I think it is precisely that he could play a lonely misfit and show us Freddie Mercury's inner life underneath being the front man, in spite of all the partying, booze, drugs & fame. LOTS of actors could play the flamboyant, larger than life, Freddie Mercury. As already stated, and previously chosen, Sasha Baron Cohen, being one of them who could portray Freddie - and trash him. I'm glad Cohen didn't play him. From what little I've seen of Cohen, he likes to "wink" at the audience. "Watch me 'portraying' this character." He's a great impressionist. But, I think, he would have made the movie all about himself - not Freddie. (Interestingly, Cohen's wife, Isla Fisher, is a dead ringer for the actress that played Mary.)

After the rewrite by the writer for The Theory of Everything, (the Stephen Hawking story,) and re-direction of the storyline and where it now ends, I think Rami Malek was perfect. He didn't portray Freddie or simply copy all the moves. Rami embodied Freddie, not just the loud, brash, larger than life qualities, but the desperate loner inside it all, that the surviving band members want known. He actually took care in playing Freddie. Thus, took care of Queen. If one wants a trash-umentary, watch the VH-1 channel. I'm sure they probably already have one of Queen.

I'm glad Rami won the Golden Globe.
clap_zpsd8769fad.gif
I think this will be Rami's best role of his career. What other role will he ever have to be so big and sensational, yet so desperately vulnerable & lonely too? I'd love to see him so honored, sweeping the SAG Awards & the Oscars too. (But, I think Christian Bale will win. But, possibly more because Hollywood wants to send a message to Washington than he is the best this year. :( Although, that might not be fair to say, as I haven't seen Christian's performance. And Hollywood so loves to see when actors transform themselves physically for a role as well as act it.)

If you've already seen the movie, here is a side by side comparison of Freddie Mercury and Rami's performance of him at the Live Aid concert. (If you haven't seen it yet, WAIT till you've seen the movie, It is worth the wait.) Rami had said he worked with a movement coach throughout the movie. I think that person deserves a special oscar too. :thumbsup2

I think Rami's future will be in playing more socially awkward characters, just not as big. Here's a moment of him in real life at the Golden Globes. He had just won the GG for Best Actor and was just offstage, as Bohemian Rhapsody was named Best Picture. Still in shock, he joins the producers & Queen band members onstage. Watch as he tries to talk to Nicole, as I *think* she didn't realize it was Rami. But, probably thought a GG usher had come from the side of the stage to move her off from center stage. Poor Rami! :blush: :lmao:

Last edited:
DD and I saw it for a second time this week, too! We loved it! This time we brought DH and DS along with us and they really enjoyed it, too. DD has downloaded a lot of Queen songs. I think it's funny because these were songs I and my friends grew up with in junior high and high school. I think Rami was very deserving of the award!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!