• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BOG lunch with multiple food allergies?? Anyone??

brown1442

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip in March. My 8 year old son has multiple food allergies. He's anaphylactic to peanuts and tree nuts, allergic to milk, soy, and zucchinis and also has celiac. We always do the DxDP because we have found TS restaurants more able to meet his needs. We'd really like to eat at BOG but lunch fits into our schedule... and quite frankly the menu looks better. I just want to make sure they could accommodate him. We've been turned away from other CS places in MK stating they couldn't feed him :(.

We are planning a trip in March. My 8 year old son has multiple food allergies. He's anaphylactic to peanuts and tree nuts, allergic to milk, soy, and zucchinis and also has celiac. We always do the DxDP because we have found TS restaurants more able to meet his needs. We'd really like to eat at BOG but lunch fits into our schedule... and quite frankly the menu looks better. I just want to make sure they could accommodate him. We've been turned away from other CS places in MK stating they couldn't feed him :(.

We have also been turned away from CS (and once from a TS)due to allergies-having said that;one of the best meals we have ever had was BOG for lunch (and on more than one occasion). When you get to the CM who hands you a rose just tell them you need to speak to a chef. We have found the chefs to be very helpful.

We did it without a problem in April. When we reached the "distrubtion" CM (is that the one who gives out the roses?) who was telling people what kiosk# to go to, we answered his question about the people in our party and then interjected with, "But we have some food allergies, I don't know what the easiest way is for you to handle that." He sent us to a staffed kiosk, instead of a self-serve one.

I actually really liked the system, because they called a chef over, but in the interim, they allowed us to look at the menu listing for the items we were interested in. So, for instance - I am a vegetarian, with a mushroom allergy. There are two veg dishes on the menu, but one I knew for sure had mushrooms. So I asked them to pull up the quinoa salad ingredients, and I was able to read it over before the chef arrived. Once he did, I was able to give my spiel - "Hi, I'm vegetarian, I can't have mushrooms/mangoes, it looks like the quinoa should be safe for me as-is," and the chef was able to confirm that. My other friend was a bit more difficult (she is latex allergic, so her plates have to be rewashed) but they still took it in stride. In fact, she made a suggestion to make their lives easier (serve on disposable) and they poo-poohed it, lol. I am guessing the fact that we were able to eat off of the menu made life easier, but I did not at all get the impression that it would have been an issue if we had been more difficult.

That's awful that you were turned away from a TS restaurant because of allergies! Had you contacted special diets ahead of time? If so, they should have been prepared for you. I hope that you complained about your experience. I would hate for anyone else to go through that.

Yes, I had called Special Diets and no I did not complain to anyone. Special Diets... and Disney in general... Did a FANTASTIC job feeding my very difficult to feed child and not only that they did it with a smile. I would MUCH rather a place be honest that they cant feed him then try to just throw something together. I really think Special Diets does more to prepare TS places which is why we stick to those on the DxDP. Thats okay... While Disney is amazing they aren't perfect and I accept my portion of the responsibility in keeping my child safe even if it means paying more money. Although based on the responses here I think we may try BOG for lunch!! Thanks so much!!!

I just want to chime in here, too as I have also been turned away both at a location (CS) or ahead of time by phone after making a reservation (TS) because a restaurant didn't feel they could safely or adequately (get enough food for the cost) feed me. I do have a very long list of food allergies, both rare and common so even though it can happen, I don't think this happens often. I had contacted Special Diets ahead of time and like another poster has said, they and everyone from chefs to managers were very kind and did their best to accommodate me. It was a bit tiring and disheartening to be turned away especially when I thought I had researched safe options but in the end those in charge were just helping me to not get sick. I only share this to confirm that it does happen occasionally but there are usually 15 more places that can accommodate for every 1 that can't. Sorry to be a little off topic but just in case a person who is new to Disney or allergies sees this, I thought I'd share. I know when you are planning for allergies knowing what to expect is half the battle! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter