• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BOG Lunch Question - Allergies

Music City Mama

DIS Veteran
I posted this on the Restaurants board the other day and didn't receive any responses, so I thought I'd try here. Thanks!

Does anyone know how accommodating they are with food allergies during lunch? I understand that the kiosks tell you which foods to avoid due to allergens, but for example, my child is allergic to nuts. If the multigrain bread they use for the turkey sandwich either contains nuts or is cross-contaminated, do they have the means of preparing it with a different bread? If so, how do you request that if you're ordering via the kiosk?

Hi,
We traveled to Disney with our grandson who has a severe nut and peanut allergy. The chefs at each and every Disney restaurant were fantastic in preparing safe and delicious meals for him. The chef at BOG prepared him a delicious turkey sandwich on safe bread. In fact, this was one of my grandson's favorite meals!

I haven't been yet. Going in June. This is currently being discussed on my facebook group: Disney Chefs Rock Food Allergies. Several have reported good experiences for lunch for PN/TN allergies. My allergy is fish so I'll see how it goes with that. (I have to watch out for dressings, seasonings, and sauces that contain anchovies).

Thank you both for the feedback -- I'm glad to hear that they can make those kinds of changes. I just wasn't sure how it would work since you order via kiosk and how they know to prepare the sandwich on different bread (assuming there is an issue with what they normally serve it on). We ate at BOG for dinner last year, but I'm not familiar with the lunch set up so I didn't know if you have to actually speak to someone or if this kind of thing is all done via kiosk.

If you only have 1 allergy (they lump all nuts together) then you can order at the kiosk as it will be set to not give you unsafe choices but as you suggested there are a number of items that can be modified to be safe for nut allergies. The desserts will all come up as unsafe because the sprinkles and pearls are not nut safe so they can call a chef out and get you a safely made dessert. You have to work a bit to get them to send out a chef though. I think the only bread they offered as allergy safe was the gluten free bread which I won't/can't eat. I ended up having fries and a cupcake. They did not have a separate fryer either but there was nothing highly risky for me so I went with it.

No separate frier? What allergens do you deal with that the fryer was an issue? We deal with gluten so most times the friers are an issue but with the allergy free tenders I figured they would have dedicated friers around.

They didn't have the allergy free tenders as an option in Feb. I think the cross contam issue was soy. They are not one of the special locations with extra allergy items like CHH and cosmic rays. They are so huge and just didn't seem very interested or well equipped to deal with anything other than 1 allergy that they can just enter in the touch screen and have you pick from what is offered. They did send out a chef when I asked and the filter showed no options with a soy and nut allergy but it's not readily offered like other locations. They did not have the full notebook of ingredients either so figuring out soybean oil vs soy protein was impossible.

Hmmm...we are really hoping to eat here for lunch. From what I've been reading (reviews etc via google) sounds like for 1 or 2 top 8 allergens they do really well. I love the idea of a touch screen that immediately shows you all your options!

But I am not finding a whole lot for how they accommodate those with multiple/non top 8 allergies? My one son is tree nut and egg allergic, so he should be OK, but my other son has a longer list.

They have very few fried items on their menu, so I was at least hoping the fryer would be a dedicated one for the pomme frites. Rats.

We've got 5 Top 8 and all gluten and a few others. I've heard from people with longer lists that said they were awesome at BOG...wonder if it's a bigger difference between lunch vs. dinner? We were able to snag dinner reservations but I was considering dropping them when the lunch FP window opened up. Wondering what we should do! Thanks for the info!

I was so happy to have a cupcake I didn't care about no meal ;) I'm sure if I kept pressing they could have made something but they seem to over rely on the filter at lunch and if it responds nothing they don't seem well educated. I think if you just have 1 of the top 8 they have something to offer it's just the 2 or more and the less common allergies. Captain Cooks at the Poly also has a kiosk but they reacted totally differently when the kiosk didn't offer me anything of substance.

We were at BOG for lunch. My ds has a dairy allergy. They would not accommodate his allergy. They did have a kid's meal that was braised pork and I believe that was dairy free but he was 4 at the time and wouldn't eat it. We wanted the pastas with sauce and they would need to leave off cheese to make it safe for him. They said they couldn't do that. He only ate fries. Only meal at WDW we have ever not had them make a safe accommodation for our ds. I was so disappointed in them and don't plan to be back there. I have read other reports of lunch not being as good for allergies but dinner sounds fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter