Bob made my day today!

Jhalkias

<font color=darkgreen>DIS Geek<br><font color=indi
On Monday, I wrote an email to the podcast crew for my upcoming trip (we leave tomorrow for WDW) and said in that email that I hoped they could answer it for me before we leave, hoping it was not too late for the Tuesday show.

I wanted to know if there was anywhere onsite, at the parks, etc. where you could do an online check in for an airline (we are flying SW), without heading back to the resort in the middle of the day to do so. We leave on Monday, and I need to check in on Sunday. If you have ever flown SW, you know you want to get that "A" boarding pass to make the cattle call for SW airlines.

Well, my email did not make it on the show - I knew it was a bit of a longshot anyway.

Then I get a call at the office this afternoon. My MIL (who picks up our daughter from school and stays with her until we get home) told me some guy named Bob from "Disney" had just called. She told me she could not understand what he was trying to tell her (the dog was being bad, and my daughter was chasing the dog around the house), and she was on the phone where she could not hear him well.

I was confused until she said that he told her he was calling from some show, and that he was trying to answer a question I had.

The light bulb went off.:idea:

My MIL knows nothing about the internet, podcasts, or computers. Bob was trying to explain all this to her, confusing her even more. Then Bob tried to give her his phone number for a call-back, and she told me he had to repeat it several times with the dog barking, the chaos, and of course I am sure Bob's accent.

When she told me all of this and I hung up, I just started laughing and laughing, thinking about the "train wreck" of Bob trying to explain the Podcast and who he was to my MIL. :rotfl2:

I called Bob on the way home, and he was as nice as could be. I asked him if my MIL and he had a "train wreck" and he laughed . . . He told me I had better get her a phone she can hear on.

Bottom line, he had a great suggestion, and had gone to the trouble to call SW airlines to ask what to do. Even though you have to check in, you do not have to bring the printed boarding pass to the airport, as long as someone has checked you in . Bob suggested I call someone back home with access to a computer and have them check us in. We can then get our boarding passes at the airport, and even better never have to leave the parks. I am going to have our college age son do that for me.

I just wanted to say that Bob made my day with that call. Doing something like that, and caring like he did is why I keep using DU whenever I need a travel agent, and why I love these boards.

You guys at Dreams, and the gang on the Podcast do what I love about Disney when they do it right - you surprise and delight people by going above what would ever be expected.

Thanks guys, and thanks Bob, if I see "Cartcam" when we are at the parks, I will be sure to stop and say hello, and if not, I will see you guys on the 6th of December.

Thanks for taking time to post the answer you received. I'm also flying SW in Dec. and just assumed I'd have to troop back to the resort at the beginning of that 24 hr. window. I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate reading your post.......and some of us can very much relate to the humor of the situation in getting the message to you. And to Bob, thanks for taking the time to hunt down a solution! :thumbsup2

I can check in from my cell phone. If you have a cell phone that has internet access, you may be able to do this too!

And, I think it's awesome of Bob to call you to make sure you had some ideas about how to go about getting that coveted A ticket!

On Monday, I wrote an email to the podcast crew for my upcoming trip (we leave tomorrow for WDW) and said in that email that I hoped they could answer it for me before we leave, hoping it was not too late for the Tuesday show.

I wanted to know if there was anywhere onsite, at the parks, etc. where you could do an online check in for an airline (we are flying SW), without heading back to the resort in the middle of the day to do so. We leave on Monday, and I need to check in on Sunday. If you have ever flown SW, you know you want to get that "A" boarding pass to make the cattle call for SW airlines.

Well, my email did not make it on the show - I knew it was a bit of a longshot anyway.

Then I get a call at the office this afternoon. My MIL (who picks up our daughter from school and stays with her until we get home) told me some guy named Bob from "Disney" had just called. She told me she could not understand what he was trying to tell her (the dog was being bad, and my daughter was chasing the dog around the house), and she was on the phone where she could not hear him well.

I was confused until she said that he told her he was calling from some show, and that he was trying to answer a question I had.

The light bulb went off.:idea:

My MIL knows nothing about the internet, podcasts, or computers. Bob was trying to explain all this to her, confusing her even more. Then Bob tried to give her his phone number for a call-back, and she told me he had to repeat it several times with the dog barking, the chaos, and of course I am sure Bob's accent.

When she told me all of this and I hung up, I just started laughing and laughing, thinking about the "train wreck" of Bob trying to explain the Podcast and who he was to my MIL. :rotfl2:

I called Bob on the way home, and he was as nice as could be. I asked him if my MIL and he had a "train wreck" and he laughed . . . He told me I had better get her a phone she can hear on.

Bottom line, he had a great suggestion, and had gone to the trouble to call SW airlines to ask what to do. Even though you have to check in, you do not have to bring the printed boarding pass to the airport, as long as someone has checked you in . Bob suggested I call someone back home with access to a computer and have them check us in. We can then get our boarding passes at the airport, and even better never have to leave the parks. I am going to have our college age son do that for me.

I just wanted to say that Bob made my day with that call. Doing something like that, and caring like he did is why I keep using DU whenever I need a travel agent, and why I love these boards.

You guys at Dreams, and the gang on the Podcast do what I love about Disney when they do it right - you surprise and delight people by going above what would ever be expected.

Thanks guys, and thanks Bob, if I see "Cartcam" when we are at the parks, I will be sure to stop and say hello, and if not, I will see you guys on the 6th of December.

OH WOW---PLEASE! I really, really hope Peter or someone from the Podcast mentions your thread in an upcoming podcast, as you are right, this is above and way beyond the call and they should toot their own horns---or at least Bob's horn about this...:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: "Surprise and delight"---so true----nicely written!

:thumbsup2 to Bob!! A little DIS magic was thrown your way Jhalkias :goodvibes

I have flown SW before and I am again in 4 days :woohoo: I print and email my confirmation # to a friend and we both set our cell phones to remind us a half hour before, then she is ready to check me in. She is great about it and I always have gotten an A pass that way. **With the new SW boarding rules, I think it is even MORE important to do it.**
see
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1594371&

It doesn't hurt to set up a backup person to check you in too, in case you need them.

Another suggestion is to log onto SW before you leave and get an idea of how full your plane is. Just plug in the info to buy a ticket and see what is available. Right now, my flight home is only letting me buy 3 seats :scared1: so I know to make sure we are REALLY on the ball getting that A pass.

Wow! Now that is to funny!!

That is true Disney Magic Bob!! You ROCK!!

Great story. Thanks for sharing and hope Bob sees it.

I don't understand the need to have an A boarding pass on Southwest.
My wife has done the logging in after midnight to make sure we get A passes thing. It was nice to be in the first line and board first, but I guess I don't get why people adjust their schedules around checking in or leave a park early to go back to the hotel to check in online.
If you have the misfortune of getting a B or C pass is it that bad? You have to wait five extra minutes to board and you still get to pick your seats, thought they may be further back. You are still guaranteed a seat on the plane.
It's not like A people get bigger seats or first class service.
Being up front might help if you have to make a connecting flight, but otherwise I don't understand the importance of being first in the cattle call.

Yet another reason why :disrocks: That was so sweet of Bob!

(We need a "DIS Unplugged Rocks" smiley!)

Well, it's even easier than Bob suggested: just go to any Guest Services office at whatever park you are visiting and not only will they assist you with online check-in, they will usually print your boarding passes as well! We did this @ MGM and the wonderful CM brought me back to a room that had a computer/printer and let me type the information in myself. It gave me great piece of mind to know my check-in was all taken care of. Just make sure you get to Guest Services a few minutes before the 24 hr. mark in case there are people in line in front of you.

Hi Jhalkias, Glad I was of help to you. It also looks like there may be another solution brought up by calypso*a*go-go with the tip for going to any guest service location at the parks. I will have to go and check this out next time I am at a park. :moped:
Oh and Jhalkias did your Mother in Law tell you she gave me all kinds of dark secrets when we talked. :rotfl2: Just kidding get that phone fixed so she can hear people that was one train wreck looking for a landing spot.:rolleyes1

We flew SW in August. We had my brother-in-law at home check us in for our return flight and had planned on getting our boarding passes at the airport. However, Magical Express would not let us on the bus without a boarding pass. We had to go to the front desk where they gladly printed them for us. I just wish we had known that before trying to get on the bus!

My wife has done the logging in after midnight to make sure we get A passes thing. It was nice to be in the first line and board first, but I guess I don't get why people adjust their schedules around checking in or leave a park early to go back to the hotel to check in online.
If you have the misfortune of getting a B or C pass is it that bad? You have to wait five extra minutes to board and you still get to pick your seats, thought they may be further back. You are still guaranteed a seat on the plane.
Being up front might help if you have to make a connecting flight, but otherwise I don't understand the importance of being first in the cattle call.

Getting a B is usually not that bad, but if you get C, you will almost never get to sit next to the people with whom you are traveling and you will get stuck in a middle seat between two people you don't know. It's definitely worth some extra effort to try to get an A.

It is mostly parents needing to sit with their kids... even my DD14 and I don't want to sit seperatly.

And a few that travel alone, just like their spot is all.

Getting an A boarding pass is important if you are traveling with others, especially your kids. If you have a C pass, I can guarantee that you will not be able to sit with your child without having to beg someone to switch seats with you. That's a scary proposition if your child is young. It almost happened to me last year with a B pass out of Orlando. There were only single seats here and there throughout the plane. The very very last row, that cannot be reclined was the only one with two seats together. We had to take them...

Others already said it here, but just to repeat, when three of you are flying together, and one of the three is your 7 year old girl, you don't want her choosing which two people she will sit between on a full flight. :scared1: If it were just me, I probably would not care so much, although I do prefer a window seat.

Did not see Bob out and about, but had a great time at the parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter