Boarding # with DCL transport from MCO

Starwind

DIS Veteran
Before our recent cruise on the Fantasy there were discussions on here about how if you have DCL transfers already booked when you do online checkin you are not able to choose a PAT. People wondered what that meant for boarding #.

We had DCL transfers booked from MCO and were not able to choose a PAT when we did online checkin as it told us we did not need one since we had DCL transportation booked.

We were on the first bus from MCO to the port and therefore early in line to check in.

We were assigned boarding group 15. Others who were on the same bus as us got boarding group 16 -- one family was told that two people got 15 and everyone else got 16... I guess we were the family that got 15.

While waiting in line for the women's washroom [the normal one is under renovation and closed, so there was a line to use the two CM restrooms] I was talking with the CM there and the topic of our boarding # came up, among other topics of discussion. The conversation ended as I continued waiting and the CM spoke with other guests. A few minutes later I was surprised by the CM tapping me on the shoulder and quietly handing me a new boarding card with #3 on it. A nice piece of very unexpected pixie dust !

Anyhow, just wanted to let people know our experience. We were among the first families to arrive and were assigned to boarding group 15. Others arriving the same time-ish got 16. No idea what those on later buses ended up with.

SW

Before our recent cruise on the Fantasy there were discussions on here about how if you have DCL transfers already booked when you do online checkin you are not able to choose a PAT. People wondered what that meant for boarding #.

We had DCL transfers booked from MCO and were not able to choose a PAT when we did online checkin as it told us we did not need one since we had DCL transportation booked.

We were on the first bus from MCO to the port and therefore early in line to check in.

We were assigned boarding group 15. Others who were on the same bus as us got boarding group 16 -- one family was told that two people got 15 and everyone else got 16... I guess we were the family that got 15.

While waiting in line for the women's washroom [the normal one is under renovation and closed, so there was a line to use the two CM restrooms] I was talking with the CM there and the topic of our boarding # came up, among other topics of discussion. The conversation ended as I continued waiting and the CM spoke with other guests. A few minutes later I was surprised by the CM tapping me on the shoulder and quietly handing me a new boarding card with #3 on it. A nice piece of very unexpected pixie dust !

Anyhow, just wanted to let people know our experience. We were among the first families to arrive and were assigned to boarding group 15. Others arriving the same time-ish got 16. No idea what those on later buses ended up with.

SW
Sounds like they were issuing the first available boarding numbers to you guys. It was reported that people arriving via DCL transfers were being issued boarding numbers based on when they actually arrived/checked in at the port. Doesn't sound like that happened here.

Sounds like they were issuing the first available boarding numbers to you guys. It was reported that people arriving via DCL transfers were being issued boarding numbers based on when they actually arrived/checked in at the port. Doesn't sound like that happened here.

I am guessing it probably some kind of hybrid... "first available" when we arrived/checked in seems to be what they issued, but "first available" was from boarding group 15.

Now, does that mean that all of 1-most of 15 had already been issued and the rest of the groups were available to be issued and were issued first come first served ? or do they have a pool set aside for people arriving on DCL transport ? or something else ? that I have no clue.

I have a picture showing us walking through the terminal to the line to check in at 10:14 am. There are maybe a dozen people ahead of us; terminal is basically pretty much empty. We were delayed slightly at security while they inspected a medical device I had with me and decided I really was allowed to bring it on the ship.

SW

SW
That's weird. We took the DCL bus last December after spending the night at the MCO Hyatt (booked via DCL), had no PAT, and were not on one of the first few buses. We arrived to a crowded Port Canaveral, and checked in only about 10 minutes before boarding began. Even with all that, we were placed in boarding group 2. Really strange that you got 15. I don't know how that happened. I should add that we are only silver CC and were sailing in an inside stateroom, so it had nothing to do with status.

Maybe now that everyone riding the bus gets to skip getting a PAT, that has driven up the boarding group numbers at PC?

I just sailed on the Fantasy in August. I had booked DCL transfer but was still able to book the earliest PAT (can’t remember if it was 10:30) at online check in. We were on the first bus out and got boarding number 3.

We did DCL transfers too from MCO, but I didn't add them to our reservation until a few days after we had done online check-in and selected excursions, so I was able to select a PAT of 10:30am. They gave us boarding group 3 when we checked in at the port.

I was just coming to post on this. We were on last weeks Fantasy and took the bus from MCO. We were NOT on the first bus. By the time we made it through security and were in line for check in they were announcing family of the day and starting to board. We were given boarding card 7 and were on the ship in under 6 minutes (they flew through the early numbers-it was literally a minute a number).

The weird part is that some people on our same bus had higher numbers and people we saw getting on the earlier bus at MCO we’re still waiting with higher numbers too. We were gold completing our 10th cruise. I don’t know if we were pixie dusted or if the numbers are a little more spread out among the stations, but people on the same bus were definetely getting different numbers.

I'm surprised by these higher boarding numbers. I was under the impression that not having to choose a Port Arrival Time was an advantage to taking DCL transportation??

My Mom and MIL are cruising with us in February and taking DCL bus from MCO. It will be interesting to see what happens for them. We are silver and taking our second cruise. We got a 1030 PAT and were hoping there wouldn't be a huge gap in the boarding numbers our groups receive. I guess only time will tell!

I was just coming to post on this. We were on last weeks Fantasy and took the bus from MCO. We were NOT on the first bus. By the time we made it through security and were in line for check in they were announcing family of the day and starting to board. We were given boarding card 7 and were on the ship in under 6 minutes (they flew through the early numbers-it was literally a minute a number).

The weird part is that some people on our same bus had higher numbers and people we saw getting on the earlier bus at MCO we’re still waiting with higher numbers too. We were gold completing our 10th cruise. I don’t know if we were pixie dusted or if the numbers are a little more spread out among the stations, but people on the same bus were definetely getting different numbers.
I wonder if the different attendants have different boarding numbers to hand out. We checked in at the Gold CC counter a few minutes before the family of the day boarded and we got a #6. We weren't on Disney transport and had a 10:45am PAT (but arrived late due to delays with rental car shuttles).

Any other recent experiences with this? We booked DCL transportation to the port and my check-in was this weekend. We did not have the ability to choose a PAT. I'm not sure what our strategy should be. We're spending the night before at the MCO Hyatt. If given the choice, I would have chosen an early PAT and gotten on one of the first buses. Now, if we could end up with a high boarding group number even if we're on the first bus, I'm torn. Either we hang around the hotel/airport for a couple hours and grab a bus closer to open boarding time, or we get on an early bus and take the chance that we get a decent boarding group number knowing we may end up watching people who arrive after us board before us. Thoughts?

Either we hang around the hotel/airport for a couple hours and grab a bus closer to open boarding time, or we get on an early bus and take the chance that we get a decent boarding group number knowing we may end up watching people who arrive after us board before us. Thoughts?

I'd sooner just walk on the boat. Two hours on a three or more day cruise isn't going to make a big difference ultimately, especially if it just makes everybody tired and cranky. Take your time, sleep in a bit and get there refreshed and ready to have a blast after going straight to your room to drop your bags off.

I'd sooner just walk on the boat. Two hours on a three or more day cruise isn't going to make a big difference ultimately, especially if it just makes everybody tired and cranky. Take your time, sleep in a bit and get there refreshed and ready to have a blast after going straight to your room to drop your bags off.
That’s what I was thinking, but DS is an early riser, so it could be a long morning in the airport. He might like watching the planes for a bit, so that could help.

That’s what I was thinking, but DS is an early riser, so it could be a long morning in the airport. He might like watching the planes for a bit, so that could help.

Can you pull the blackout curtains so there's no light, keep him up a bit late and then get him to sleep in? :D

We’re trying to decide what to do in this case as well. If we go to the port early and have to wait, what is the waiting area like? Are there places to sit or will we be standing the whole time?

We’re trying to decide what to do in this case as well. If we go to the port early and have to wait, what is the waiting area like? Are there places to sit or will we be standing the whole time?

There are places to sit. Whether or not they will be occupied by other families is another story. You might have to stand. You might not. Get there too early and you're going to stand in line outside anyway.

There is some seating, but nowhere near enough for everyone. Characters will come out for pictures, but once you got in line, you’d lose your seat .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter