Blue Eyes discovers Captain Crash’s Kryptonite

tourguide

Earning My Ears
Blue Eyes discovers Captain Crash’s Kryptonite (or The Incredible Expanding Tour Group Invades Disney – Day Two)

We wake up to my cell phone ringing. It’s Bombshell, my oldest friend. She and her husband have recently moved to the area, and she’s driving down to spend a few days in the Parks with us! Yay!!

Unfortunately, Bombshell’s husband is 2 kool 4 skool and won’t be joining us. He grew up in So Cal and claims to be “all Disney’d out”. Silly man. Bombshell informs me that he was so rotten when she was getting ready to leave that morning, he’d serenaded her with the Mickey Mouse Club theme song, but replaced the chorus with “Ricky Rat” instead of Mickey Mouse! Unfortunately for him, we started referring to *him* as Ricky Rat because of his nasty, anti-Disney attitude, and we still call him that to this day. :) Mwa ha-ha ha-ha! That’s what you get for messing with Mickey Mouse, kiddo!

Bombshell shows up and hangs out in my room for about two minutes while I finish my make-up. She uses the facilities, and somehow, manages to sabotage the toilet, so now it won’t flush. Uh oh. On the way out of the lobby, we stop by the front desk to ask for help. Its no prob, and the toilet is unclogged that evening when we return to our room. Excellent service! Way to go, Fairfield! Two thumbs up. :)

Passing Bombshell’s car in the parking lot, she points out a silver crown in the back window. Apparently, right before she moved, her co-workers threw her a Princess Going Away Party. See, she always suspected that she was a princess, but now it was confirmed! And here we were, heading off to her magic kingdom! (She was not pleased to see the tarps covering her castle, btw!)

But first we had to meet the group at Tower of Terror. When we showed up, they were just getting off after their first ride. Story Teller, sweetheart that he is, had opted to sit out and wait, so that we could ride it for the first time together. :) Awwww...

There was a little line forming now though, and I knew we should get to Soarin’ Over California before the lines were totally out of hand. So everyone hit the Tower fast pass machines (too cute, designed to look like old luggage! Love it!) and we were off to Condor Flats.

Soarin’ was... interesting. It’s such a good attraction and I wanted so badly to share the experience with family. Unfortunately, the ones I wanted to share it with most, are no longer with us. Everything about the attraction, even the queue reminds me of them and other losses... the photos and banners honoring famous airmen they enjoyed reading about, the photo of the our lost Columbia crew... it was all just kind of overwhelming... and that was before I realized I knew someone (not in the group) who was in the queue near us! Someone I’d rather avoid. Eek!

I quickly explain the situation to Bombshell, Pixie, Nature Girl, The Cream Team, The Three Mouseketeers, Peachfuzz, Blue Eyes, Shy Guy, SloMo, Captain Crash and Suburban Redneck. Story Teller already knew what the deal was. They spend the next 15 minutes in line talking, just loud enough to be overheard if necessary, to their new friend “Jen” (my Code Name for the remainder of our Soarin’ mission) and blocking her/me from view.

Luckily, I was not recognized! Whew! We boarded our gliders (me with Story Teller’s baseball cap pulled low over my eyes). Hehehe.. could we be any more “junior high” about the whole thing? :Queue James Bond music: Guide, Tour Guide. But you can call me “Jen”.

We had fun lifting our feet over the trees, mountains and water. Bombshell was duly impressed with her first ride. Everyone else commented that all they could smell was an “evergreen mush” scent, rather than the individual evergreen, ocean and orange scents.

Our fast passes are more than ready for Tower and I’m more than ready to ride! Tower of Terror in Florida is one of my all time favorite attractions, so I was super stoked to check out the new one in DCA.

OK for people who get mad about SPOILERS ~*~*~*~ here’s your warning… scroll down to the pixie dust if you don’t want to read it….

The fountain out front is really nice, and so is the cool light changing sign. I wish they had more room to build the awesome gardens like they have in Florida… and the fog effect is super cool there too. DCA is more like, Welcome to the Hollywood Tower Hotel-ok now we’re in the lobby-no hotel grounds for you!

The indoor queue is great though. We had fun looking for the boiler with a face in the basement. I’d heard people thought the basement was too “Toon Townish”. I disagree. Not at all. The only cutesy thing was the boiler face, and it looked more tormented than anything. Love the blueish/purpleish lighting down there too.
Things are getting darker and creepier as we’re about to board. Flickering lights, nervous giggles… that’s when Bombshell informs me that she’s never been on Tower in Florida. NEVER??? Never. Wow! Cool! This was gonna rock!

I could feel the fear and anticipation building in my stomach as we boarded the elevator car. Moving backwards in the shaft was a shock! I didn’t realize there would be any horizontal movement at all! Fun!! I giggled nervously.

The doors open and we’re greeted by the familiar ghostly corridor from Florida. My favorite part! The hotel guests melt away into nothing and we’re plunged into darkness. Our car shoots up, doors open wide… Disneyland is laid out before us… ok this view totally kicks MGM’s backstage view! WOW!! No time to ponder that tho, now we’re dropping and shooting up and dropping and dropping and shooting up again! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! WOW WOW WOW!!!

No matter how many times I’ve been on Tower Florida, this was AMAZING!! I was terrified, had no idea what was going to happen next. It was incredible! There was nothing to hang on to! I almost grabbed Bombshell’s knee a couple times, but didn’t want her to think I was getting fresh.

Finally the hotel is done playing its games with us. Our car comes to a stop and slides back into place. We hop out and run to check out our photo. How come everyone but me gets an I Survived sticker??? No fair!

Our picture is awesome though. Everyone is absolutely terrified or amazingly entertained. Shy Guy has his eyes pinched close and his face squashed up bracing for impact. Bombshell is screaming in shock… and me? I’m laughing hysterically and doing “jazz hands”. Hilarious! :) What a good time! :) I actually buy the photo since its so entertaining, it’s our first ride, and the whole group is together. How can you go wrong with that combo?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Over to Disneyland, and guess what, its BAT’S DAY! Neat! I had goth-esque friends in high school, but nothing compares to the amount of black fishnets and wet leather traipsing around the magic kingdom today!

Poor Bombshell just doesn’t understand Goths. She’s more the sorority sister type. For the rest of the day I’m treated to, “But why? Why do they dress that way? I don’t understand… I really want to understand…” She wasn’t trying to be mean, she really, truly didn’t understand why anyone would want to adopt that lifestyle, or dress style, etc. Never being a “goth” per se, I can only speculate based on people I’ve known. Eventually we move away from “why” to determining exactly what is allowed with the Goth Dress Code. Black obviously, occasionally green, lotsa red and sometimes even purple and hot pink! Striped tights and black parasols everywhere! It was quite colorful in a black hole kind of way.

Our fist mission of the day here is lunch. We have a priority seating at Blue Bayou for 16! I’d heard of large groups being seated separately, and I’d also heard they had a so-called, long, “family table”. We were hoping for the family table. :)

I stepped up to the hostess and was greeted with a knowing, “ahh the big group, we’ve been expecting you!” Super cool! After assuring her my entire group was here, we crowded into the lobby. Except suddenly, The Three Mouseketeers (2 sisters and their cousin) have gone missing. Team Cream is also MIA.

The Mouseketeers are the notorious “We don’t like fireworks” crew. Team Cream is the respective boyfriend and husband to the sisters. Thusly named because they are whipped. It was only the second day of our trip, but Team Cream had learned their job was to follow the Mouseketeers and hold shopping bags. But where did they all go!? We have to ALL be here. “Uhh… shopping?” Again?!?! But its not even time for Fantasmic! (snicker) Eventually the guys and gals reappeared and we were led to our table.

Our Family Table was basically just three regular tables pushed together end to end. It was assembled near the entrance to the restaurant, below the balcony, near the lattice divider screen. With everyone seated in a somewhat orderly manner, I took the time to explain who was who to Bombshell and how they were all related (blood, marriage, friendship, jobs, roommates, etc).

Even though my stomach wasn’t really in the mood, I had to go for the Monte Cristo, just to try it out. The only one I’d ever had was back home, and an entirely different concoction. Disney’s Monte Cristo is one solid piece of breading that covers the sandwich and then they deep fry the whole dilly. It was interesting to try once, but a bit much for me. I ended up eating less than half, but enticing everyone else into trying a bite with the promise that it was “really freaky!” ;)

As we were finishing up our meal, the sounds of a jazz band wafted through the restaurant. At first we didn’t notice, thinking it was piped in music. After awhile I sat back and took in the party lights and the climbing wisteria (I need some of this for my yard!) and that’s when I noticed a jazz duo playing on the balcony above us! One fellow had a trumpet and the other had a thing that looked like a cross between an oboe and an accordion. Too cool! A lunch on the bayou and live entertainment too! Does it get any better?!

After lunch we had a date with Indy. I hadn’t ridden since the non moving snake had been added. How boring! The whole fun part was sitting in the snake seat and waiting to get struck! I did have a good time tickling Bombshell’s neck and arms in the creepy crawly bug room though. Mwa ha ha! >:-) Story Teller did his usual dead guy routine, landing his head – heavily – on my shoulder after getting shot with a skeleton’s blow dart.

Next, Bombshell and I split off from the group to have our Annual Passes processed. She has a So Cal AP, I’ve got a five day park hopper that’s been upgraded to a Premium AP, and oh… my… gosh… the AP processing line is the WORST thing I’ve endured in my Disney-going life. It was 45 minutes of standing and staring at the backs of this goth couple ahead of us. Goth Girl was really cute. She looked like a dark-haired, six foot tall Tinkerbell. Sadly, she had those healed marks on her back that made it look like she cut herself. :( They weren’t too noticeable, but like I said... 45 minute non-moving line. Ugh. It was about halfway thru our wait when I realized, with sweat trickling in a steady stream down my back, that buying the $5 non-breathing, mostly polyester Walmart t-shirt was possibly not the best idea. Did I mention the couple with the screeeetching baby who got in line behind us? Oh yes, of course there was a screaming baby.

When we finally got to the front, I was treated to one of the best cast members though! Unfortunately, I can’t find his name written in my notes, but he was this sweet older gentleman. After allowing me to use my old picture (thank you!!) he processed my pass and held it up for me to see.

Sweet CM: You see this “P” on the pass? You know what that means, right?

Me: Premium?

Sweet CM: It’s to let everyone know you are a Princess! Now take this card and have a magical day, Princess! :)

OMG! How sweet is he?? Totally put my day back on track. :) Bombshell, the Going Away Party Princess was irked that her So Cal pass didn’t have a “P” for princess, but when I told her that for another 179 bucks, she too could be a Disney Princess, she declined. :)

Our group had headed back to DCA, so we caught up with them as they were getting off California Screamin’. Always up for another ride, everyone got back in line with us and off we went! No soundtrack in the train though. Bummer. I was hoping Bombshell would have the full experience on her first ride, but it wasn’t in the cards.

Next, we decided to brave Maliboomer. As we got on, a bloody-nosed kid got off. Bombshell wasn’t too sure about this… Then we told her those weren’t really scream shields. We know they’re really puke shields! Haha gross!

While half the group experienced the Sun Wheel, the rest of us sat and watched and rested. I talked with Blue Eyes, about a concert he was planning on going to later. This is noteworthy because I have a little crush on him. Shhhhhh don’t tell! He’s the sweetest thing! When our limos pulled up to the hotel and everyone was rooting around gathering up their bags, he left his stuff and followed me inside. Putting an arm around my shoulders he just said, “Hey, thanks for planning this. I appreciate it.” What a nice guy! Little comments like that really make it all worthwhile. :)

Meanwhile, Bombshell was busy phoning Ricky Rat, just raving about DCA. She knew he would have loved it because it was just different enough from Disneyland, and adult enough to be appealing to him. She told him about all the awesome coasters and thrill rides we’d done that morning and how he should have come along. (As a P.S. to the Ricky Rat story, Bombshell has since talked him into getting his own SoCal AP, and they’ve been back to Disneyland Resort twice! :))

Everyone made fun of me on Grizzly River. Eeee!! Iiiiiii! Noooooo!!! I don’t want to get wet!!!!!! It’s like I have a target painted on my forehead for these raft rides. HELLO PLEASE DRENCH ME, I ENJOY SHOWERING WITH MY CLOTHES ON! Once again, Fate was tempted, I was showered. Couldn’t have been wetter if I’d jumped in the hotel swimming pool fully clothed. Now do you people see what the screaming and pained faces were about???

Fully drenched, its time to go back to the hotel and change clothes for dinner. Luckily the roundtrip is successful with a limited amount of chafing within our group.

I’m not a Plaza Inn fan (ho hum, boring), but once again, I’m outvoted and that’s where we head. The cashiers kindly give everyone in our party my “P” for Princess discount. :)

After dinner, I finally get to experience Matterhorn… at night! The best time to do it! The ice cave crystals glow so brilliantly, as do Harold’s freaky eyes! Haha! I just love looking out over the park all lit up at night from the icey slopes of Matterhorn Mountain. So pretty! :)

Since this is Bombshell’s one and only chance to experience Fantasmic! during this trip, and since I had promised myself a butt kickin’ view, we make sure to get in position for the second show just as the first show is ending. It takes a little maneuvering, but we manage to slide in as the other folks are sliding out and claim great seats down front and center.

We spend the next hour giggling about boys. It’s pretty obvious Suburban Redneck has a crush on Bombshell, the way he’s been buddying up to her all day, and of course she knows about my earlier, giggle-worthy conversation with Blue Eyes. Lots of girl-talk until Story Teller joins us for the show. The view was perfect, unobstructed, so close, just like it should be. We felt the fiery dragon flames and water spray. We had a clear view of Mickey and his island mousercise, and every effect looked perfect. Throughout the rest of the trip, one of us would start singing the theme to Fantasmic! and the other would do the Mickey routine. Waving arms, point point, fireworks out of fingertips, arms in the air, etc. Yes, we’re goobers.

When we finally made it back to the hotel, we heard about SloMo and Blue Eyes’ trip to L.A. to see Cypress Hill in concert. They had tons of fun and still got back in time to play a little hotel pool football with the guys. Apparently the game got a little rough, and Blue Eyes decided that grabbing handfuls of armpit hair was the best way to subdue Crash (our resident football star). Much more effective than punching his bruises. Yowwwwww! Ooh! Owie! Besides his real bruises, and his bruised ego, he still gets razzed about Blue Eyes finding his real weakness: armpit hair! Hehe…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter