Blue Bayou lunch reservation weirdness

avalon451

Errrr... what?
I posted this over on the September thread, but thought I’d put it here, too, and ask if anyone else has tried it this way:

Okay, so at 7 am I’m blearily scrolling through the dining reservations part of the app, trying to make a Blue Bayou lunch reservation for the 14th, 60 days out. The F! Packages aren’t up yet, but I figure I’ll make the reservation for 11:30 to hold it for our party, then switch it to a dining package when those are released. To my surprise, at 7:02 the first available times were 1:00 and 1:30.

So I called Disney Dining. Here’s the weird part. I was asked by the robot to press 1 if I was a registered resort hotel guest during my stay. We’ll be at DLH for once, so I did. Are they gate keeping so only onsite guests can get a crack at first reservations?

Once I got the CM (short wait, happily) he said that the F! package reservations are a completely different computer entry, so yeah, I’d have to watch for them and call if/when they are released. Meanwhile, he said, would you want to dine at this place and time anyway, even if the F! package wasn’t available? I said yes, and lo and behold, 11:30 was open. So what I have to do is call when the packages drop, cancel the first reservation, and replace it with the F! Package.

Anyway, I just thought it was weird that you can’t book the first BB seating online. I thought someone said here awhile ago that they thought they held those for F! packages? That makes more sense now. But, you can get around that by calling directly.

If true then that’s a recent change. I’ve always been able to touch the first seating online.

I have been able to book the 11:30 time slot online, both regular lunch and the F! package (on different occasions). I don't think those times are being held for the packages. However, I have had issues in the past with all times and dates not showing up at the 60 day mark. This past April, there was a specific day that I wanted but it showed as having no times available, even though all other days surrounding it had times. I checked every day for a week and still no availability, but then when I checked the next time it was suddenly open, nearly all times available. I think their system just isn't very good.

I do think they hold some reservations back, but I also know that the online system opens before 7am. It is entirely possible that others booked before you.

I do think they hold some reservations back, but I also know that the online system opens before 7am. It is entirely possible that others booked before you.
Oh, it opens before 7 am? When does it open?

And yes I agree the system is a little glitchy...

Although, when I called, the earliest time was not open. On the app, the earliest I could book showed 1 pm. Just goes to show- when in doubt, call and talk to a live person. :)

Last edited:

It also may depend on your party side. Often times they are slower to load larger parties into the system. So they become available after 7am. I know for Thanksgiving reservations it’s been closer to 7:30-8am before all times are loaded.

Oh, it opens before 7 am? When does it open?

I don't think there is a set in stone, consistent time, but I've had good luck between 3-5am PST. The only time I've had to make reservations that early was for Mother's Day at BB, by 7am most lunch reservations we're gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!