Blood Donors, share your knowledge and experiences here.

I'm O-. They used to call me all the time. I had my 2 gallon pin, but I can no longer give. Cancer disrupts many things.

Another successful donation, another triple of platelets. I told them take as much as they want, I'll just make more of the stuff. I actually hit the 2 gallon mark with my last donation, so I'm on my way to 3 now. The place was full of donors this time too, which was very heartwarming to see.

And though I won't namedrop, I want to say that the staff at Lifestream is incredible. Not only are they friendly, kind and caring, but they're very skilled as well. I haven't even gotten so much as a bruise since I started donating. Any soreness is gone after 24 hours. LifeStream's staff is amazing.

Last edited:
Another successful donation, another triple of platelets. I told them take as much as they want, I'll just make more of the stuff. I actually hit the 2 gallon mark with my last donation, so I'm on my way to 3 now. The place was full of donors this time too, which was very heartwarming to see.

And though I won't namedrop, I want to say that the staff at Lifestream is incredible. Not only are they friendly, kind and caring, but they're very skilled as well. I haven't even gotten so much as a bruise since I started donating. Any soreness is gone after 24 hours. LifeStream's staff is amazing.

OUTSTANDING !!!!!

I have a rare blood type. When the tornado went through Tuscaloosa, I drove over and donated blood. Red Cross tested my blood and said I had Hep C. They retested it and found I did NOT have Hep C. (I also went to my doctor to confirm I did not, which I did not) and now Red Cross said they don't want my blood. For the rest of my life. My rare blood which does not have Hep C.

I was told there were steps I could take to again be an acceptable donor, and I would like to donate, but what steps? My doctor said this is not all that uncommon.

I have a rare blood type. When the tornado went through Tuscaloosa, I drove over and donated blood. Red Cross tested my blood and said I had Hep C. They retested it and found I did NOT have Hep C. (I also went to my doctor to confirm I did not, which I did not) and now Red Cross said they don't want my blood. For the rest of my life. My rare blood which does not have Hep C.

I was told there were steps I could take to again be an acceptable donor, and I would like to donate, but what steps? My doctor said this is not all that uncommon.
UGH! How awful!

I'm in a situation now where my doctor doesn't want me to donate because I got a blood clot (superficial) after I donated in December. The clot is gone (after 4 vascular ultrasounds) but they haven't given me clearance yet. I desire greatly to donate, but will listen to my doctor (for now.)

I just earned my 8 gallon pin. I've donated yearly for the last 35 years or so. I was donating every 8 weeks, but got anemic. I only do it 3 times a year now and my hemoglobin settled, so this schedule works for me. It is a great cause. If you can do it, please consider. I know some can't and others just can't get past certain sights and feelings. My wife hears the word needle and passes out, like most of her family. It never bothered me.

Another successful platelet donation, but I wasn't feeling too good after this one. It had only been two weeks since my last donation instead of waiting the usual four weeks, wanted to see if I could do every two weeks by alternating arms. Used my left arm today, the pain didn't go away immediately like it usually does, it lingered for a good 30 minutes or so before it finally receded. Donation proceeded as normal, they got a triple out of me, and I felt alright in the canteen, but as soon as I started driving home I began to feel a little woozy. It went away after I got home and ate a good meal, but it was a little scary getting that feeling for the first time, and I had a good breakfast and plenty of sleep to boot.

Well anyway, it was a successful donation, but as per their original recommendation, I think I might stick with every four weeks instead of trying to push for two weeks. I have to wait four weeks to donate plasma anyway (they take both from me), and they even told me four weeks is better for recovery, iron reserves and all that.

I used to give often, but last year after I gave I got up like normal, went to grab a bite to eat (I donate for the Lorna Doone's:P), and realized I had blood dripping all over my arm. I got someone's attention, they put pressure on it and got it to stop, and I stood up to go back to the cantina. This time I only made it a few steps before I was spurting blood all over the floor. It ended up being awesomely dramatic (I felt so bad because I was the last person of the day, and they all were trying to pack up), and scared me a bit. Now I'm hesitant to go alone. I need to just suck it up and do it, and this thread inspired me to make another appointment.

They always text me when my platelets are received by a patient. Last time it went to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, this time it was sent to USC Keck Hospital in L.A. Makes me so happy to know that what I'm doing really is helping someone in need.

Another successful donation, at five donations for the year now and 22 in total. They actually gave me a $10 gas card for coming in this time, which was really nice because I knew there was an Arco right next to my next destination afterwords. Gas was $3.79 there, and right across the street at the Mobil station, that same gas was $4.69. Words could not describe how frustrated I felt seeing that, and people were paying it too. I almost want to say the owners of that station deserve to be imprisoned for gouging, but if people are foolish enough to pay almost a dollar extra for the same product when a cheaper alternative is literally feet away, they deserve to be highballed.

Anywho, that's my daily peeve.

I've given sporadically over the years, but I've had frequent issues with anemia and really terrible veins so I never got in the habit of doing it regularly. I also needed a few transfusions two years ago, so I was ineligible for a year after that.

My Lifestream page was finally updated today, I've officially reached the 3 Gallon mark, which I think means my name gets added to their list of Bronze Donors, people who have donated 3 Gallons or more. Silver is 10 Gallons, and Gold is 25 Gallons or more.

That's not what it's about, obviously, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. I'll make Gold someday. I''ll keep donating until the day they say I no longer can!

First time I donated no problem- next time for some reason my blood pressure dropped to 90/50 after it was all over and I passed out in the hallway. Figured it was a fluke and tried again, same thing happened. So tried to donate platelets since all they take is the platelets and rest of blood goes back in you I figured that would be a better choice- after awhile I look up at the bag and see one is really full- well turns out the machine malfunctioned and it was not putting my blood back in LOL- they then transfused the blood back into me- so that is the end of it for me, 3 strikes I am out.

I had same thing happen to me. They thought I had hemotomachrosis for some reason. If I remember correctly all I did was call a number they gave me at donation center and told them they had put me on the deferred list. I believe they then sent me a form I had to send to my doctor to fill out stating I did not and sent back to redcross. About 4 weeks later I was able to donate. Of course if you do not want to do all that, there are others places to donate blood. While I was on the Red Cross deferred list I donated a few times to LifeSouth.

Welp, tomorrow is my birthday, I turn 31 years old, and I'm scheduled to donate blood in the morning. It's my day, I can do whatever I want, right? :smooth:

Going out to dinner tomorrow too, probably shouldn't have a margarita after donating, but I'm going to anyway. Screw it.

I'm at 34 lifetime donations and 4 gallons now. And I recently started volunteering at Lifestream as well, almost 2 months now. I host the Canteen area every Sunday from 11AM to 3PM now.

Its convinced me enough to take Phlebotomy training next year.

Last edited:
I did my 2nd donation 2 weeks ago at a local blood drive. I must have aggravated my arm while I was showering that night cause it started bleeding.

I do enjoy giving blood to help folks. Just a few minutes out of my day to possibly save someone. How could I not donate? I believe with my next donation in a couple months I will hit the 6 gallon mark.

I was told by my doctor that I can't donate for a while. I'm having iron issues and they want it stabilized before I can donate again. I'm highly disappointed. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter