Blood Donors, share your knowledge and experiences here.

Just finished my 11th donation about 2 hours ago. Got some free oreos and the most painful part was taking off my bandaid. I just make sure to eat a big meal ahead of time.

Had my 3rd donation on the 20th, Platelets and Plasma. Got a t-shirt for it, and I spent the entire time watching The Core. I'm scheduled again for November 17th.

I'm gonna ask if they're going to be open on Christmas Eve. What better time to give?

As somehow who has received so very many transfusions, thank you to everyone who takes the time to give.

The tiny amount of time and pain we give is nothing compared to what the recipients have to go through just to survive. My heart goes out to you.

But I will say that getting a call just hours after my donation saying that my platelets already went to someone in need, is a wonderful feeling. It lets me know that I am making a difference, however small, and I'll keep doing it as long as I'm able to.

On top of helping others, honestly I feel awesome myself after giving blood. My body produces too many red blood cells to start, so I am happy that I get to relieve the pressure and help others. I do enjoy that Lifesource has started sending me emails that say "your blood is on the way to the hospital now". It only encourages me to continue to donate whenever possible.

I'm still waiting for my ID card from Be The Match as well. It's unlikely I'll ever be called as a possible bone marrow match for someone, but if it does happen I'll be there for whoever needs it.

Though if it happens, I'd prefer they just knock me out instead of doing the peripheral cells procedure. 8-)

The last time I tried to donate I was turned away. I apparently ate too much ground beef in West Germany in the 80’s. I probably have The Mad Cow or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) as it is known in people.

The last time I tried to donate I was turned away. I apparently ate too much ground beef in West Germany in the 80’s. I probably have The Mad Cow or Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) as it is known in people.

99% not, but I understand their abundance of caution in rejecting those who could possibly have it. If I remember correctly, it's almost impossible to detect, and it would be potentially spread to multiple people.

99% not, but I understand their abundance of caution in rejecting those who could possibly have it. If I remember correctly, it's almost impossible to detect, and it would be potentially spread to multiple people.
I guess I can donate my brain upon death for research. I realize I have a better chance of winning Mega Millions then I do have actually having vCJD but it is a great defense. Don't blame me for my actions. The vCJD made me do it! :crazy2:

My husband has A-. He has donated blood, plasma, and platlets and he routinely gets called from the Blood Centers to donate. He also gets mailers too. Not too long ago we got one with an emergency listed on it due to dwindling blood supplies. Often he gets reward points for his donations which turn into gift cards.

I received a Halloween t-shirt today for my donation. I go every time that I'm eligible.

Donation #4 successful. Here's a pitch photo for posterity.

temooTP.jpg

I used to donate when I could (was turned away about half the time for low iron) but unfortunately there are no clinics in my area anymore :(

I used to give at the Irwin Memorial Blood Bank in San Francisco regularly (like every 3-4 months), when I was younger. I'm not sure they still operate the same now.

I used to donate blood the moment my time between was reached. I started out as a regular donor and then started to do a double red donor set up. That is when they take blood, run it through something to remove the red blood cells and return the Plasma and platelets back into you. Then they do it again so it gives them twice as much in one sitting. I love doing it, I just felt that it was something that I could do to help others. Unfortunately, Red Cross, at least, has certain guidelines. I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and they no longer would allow me to donate. I asked around and was told that what I had in no way would have transmitted anything bad, but, they insisted. It made me really sad. My cancer hasn't changed in intensity since it was first discovered 3 years ago, but, as long as it is still there... no donations.

I never had a single adverse result from my donations. I felt the same when I left as when I arrived so I would guess that most people would have the same result. It is a good thing to do while you can still do it. I encourage everyone to go and help your fellow man. (in the humanity sense).

EDIT: Sorry, I jumped in here in the middle of the thread and didn't realize until after that the OP had exactly the same procedure (double Red) as I did. I guess our experience is the same though. I don't remember how many gallons I was up to when I had to stop, but, it was plenty and made me proud to do it.

Last edited:
Another successful donation, just coming off the Flu as well. At the two gallon mark now.

Two hours is pretty hard to sit through when you have a hyperactive bladder though. I had to go about 45 minutes into my donation. It was pretty miserable, haha.

But it's once a month so I can grin it out.

To those of you who donate, thank you a million times over!! I tried to donate years ago, but was turned down due to low iron. Since then, I have been on the receiving end. Now, my stage iv cancer diagnosis means I'll never be able to donate, and I'm even more grateful for those of you who do!

I'm still waiting for my ID card from Be The Match as well. It's unlikely I'll ever be called as a possible bone marrow match for someone, but if it does happen I'll be there for whoever needs it.

Though if it happens, I'd prefer they just knock me out instead of doing the peripheral cells procedure. 8-)

And an extra thank you to those brave souls willing to go above and beyond and to consider bone marrow donation. That is a tremendous gift! I had a little extra time with my own father thanks to a young man in Germany (I'm in the States), who was found to be a match for him on the universal donor registry. No one in our family was a match. I sincerely hope I get the chance to meet him someday and thank him in person.

Another successful donation today, they got a triple unit of platelets out of me this time. It has been pretty empty in there the last two times I've been, they know me by name now.

I'm going on the 27th for my first donation. I'm nervous because I tend to get super lightheaded from blood tests (but they take a lot of vials) so I'm making my husband drive me haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter