Blood Clot Advice/Tips/ etc.

judypriv

Mouseketeer
Back Story: Sunday morning my dad goes to the ER with arm pain which turns out to be a blood clot. He has been in the hospital since and we leave for WDW Thursday. They are giving him meds comidon and hyperion (sorry, I don't know the correct spelling!). The vascular doctor told him that they see no reason he can't go on vacay. YAY! We were worried.

The doctor says for him to not stand around too much and keep walking and his body cisculating. He uses a scooter for traveling around as he had a triple by pass in March 2010 and a stent last January 2 weeks before his last visit. Usually he uses the scooter to walk distances which wind him and then parks and we walk around the various sections and rides and then he rides to the next section. If he gets tired, he goes back to the room for a few hours and then comes back to the park. He is 78.

Any advice or hints or tips for this visit? Any advice for people with blood clots I can pass on to him? Our flight is a bit over 2 hours so I read he should get up and walk a round every 20 minutes or so. Thanks!

We live down here half of the year and 2 days before we were suppose to come my 15 year old got a large blood clot in her left leg. After spending a few days in the hospital getting her Lovenox regulated we were given the ok to drive down. She was followed by a Hematologist and had to have several blood draws to check her clotting factor.

DH had blood clot in left leg 2 weeks before we were scheduled to go last May. He had to have surgery to remove the clot. He had no problems while at WDW other than a little soreness at incision site. It did not slow him down, Went on all the rides without issues.

Go have fun and enjoy the trip.

I have factor V Leiden, which is a blood clotting factor that makes me prone to blood clots. i get this from my father, who also is prone to clots and has 2 stents in his arteries. The biggest thing your father can do to have an enjoyable trip is listen to his body. If he feels tired, he needs to rest. He needs to drink lots of water, especially if it's hot. If he's on coumadin (very common treatment for clotting issues), he needs to be very, VERY careful, both in WDW and at home, as the smallest cut could cause a severe bleeding problem. I'm sure the doctor went over the side effects of the drug.

My dad, with his stents, does all of these things. He also pays very strict attention to ride warnings. He went on expedetion everest after is 2nd stent was put in, because he thought the ride was harmless since he'd been on it before. He said he felt like an elephant was sitting on his chest, and it took him a full day to feel better from that. Better safe than sorry, i think that's the way to approach it.

PS - he did fine and wasn't effected at all. They also said later they think the clot was from a injury not a ongoing issue. Thanks again!:)

my dd has had multi clots over the years. dr told us to have her get up during flight often and move around. limit caffeine. don't cross your legs or ankles. we also book flights early and try to always sit in first row when we choose our seats. it has plenty of legroom for her to move her legs around.

Hopefully he will be out of the hospital in time to go. Sometimes it takes time for the INR levels to get balanced.

Just remember that he is on a blood thinner. Be careful with cuts and bumps as he may bleed alot (even shaving nicks).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter