Blodd Pressure machine question

J. Galt

<font color=peach>Singin' the thread-killin' <font
I need to bring a small blood pressure machine along with me to Disney (had a small blood pressure concern during my pregnancy. It wound up just being due to stress, but my OB asked me to take it once a day to make sure things stay low and under control). Anyway... what is the best way to take this thing on an airplane (without anyone thinking it is a terrorist device or something). Should I pack it in my suitcase or my carry on?

Thanks in advance for your help... and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!

I'd just carry it on because it is delicate and you don't want it damaged. It also might be a tempting item to "disappear" from your checked baggage.
The screeners should not have a problem with it; I'd suggest you carry something (like an instruction book) that tells what it is. That's probably overkill though, as the screeners have probably seen BP devices before.

While in the parks, you could go to First Aid and get your blood pressure checked. There are nurses there who could do that. They also have cots in a cool, quiet place where you could lie down for a while if you need a rest.

I agree, I would pack it in my suitcase in the original package if possible.

For the most accurate readings, it's best to be consistent with the time you check your BP, say, first thing in the morning, or afternoon or evening when you are quiet and at your normal pace. (I wouldn't recommend checking it routinely in the park in the middle of touring because naturally it's going to be higher than normal to keep up with the demands of running around and excitement - i.e. stress). Also, one of the most important aspects of accurate readings is that the cuff fits properly - if it's too small the readings will be higher. And if your BP is an issue, remember to watch your salt intake - all the time, but especially on vacation!

Best of luck and enjoy your trip. :wizard:

Thanks for your responses... they really helped. Don't worry about me... truly, I only had the one high reading and since then I've been fine... slightly elevated from normal, but I'm also over 7 months pregnant with some swelling, so it is to be expected. My doctor just wants to cover in case of hypertension, etc... I'm traveling with my parents and my dad is a doctor, so I'm not too concerned, but I promised my doc I would take my rates once a day until my next appointment.

Happy Thanksgiving!

You need to carry it on, if it goes under the plane the pressure will cause the cuff to inflate and burst.

Okay then... looks like I'll be carrying it on! (lol)

Thanks for the tip Michigan. Its my sister's cuff and she would be pretty ticked off if it exploded!

My mom is a very brittle diabetic and has HTN as well. We'll be taking vials of insulin, syringes, glucometer, BP cuff, stethoscope, and a ton of medicines in her carry on. She's never had a problem (although she is usually questioned about the number of syringes she carries, as she takes insulin four times/day).

Michigan said:
if it goes under the plane the pressure will cause the cuff to inflate and burst.
I really don't see how this could happen, unless possibly if the air valve is closed. :scratchin

The airline won't care, but I would bring any medical equipment in your carry on bag - especially if it is delicate or is borrowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter