• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Blister tips?????

tebookie

WDW FAN
Anyone have any good blister tips? No matter what kind of shoe/sock combo I use I always end up with a blister on the ball of the foot.

Any of you guys have any tips on how to avoid this, or treat it?

Sorry to gross you out :(

The past two times I was there I suffered with blisters between my big and second toe. I was in extreme pain for two days and I finally made the all important decision that everyone says you shouldn't do... I popped the blisters and put on the bandaids. This was the best thing that I could have done since it relieved all of the pressure that was causing the pain. The only time it bothered me again was if the bandaids slipped.

I just wish I was one of those people like my DH who NEVER gets blisters, no matter what.

If your shoes, or your socks, or BOTH don't fit properly, you're in big trouble. Blisters are caused by friction between the skin on your foot and another surface. The potential for blisters is even greater when there is more pressure caused by a wrinkle in your sock, or a poor fit. Also increases when moisture and heat present.

SO, try these ideas (FYI: I'm not a pediatrist, pedorthist, or any type of foot expert. I just hate blisters. AND I read the DIS boards, too :D ):

Make sure your shoes and socks are the correct size for you and for each other (not just the ones you like the most--remember this is about comfort and health, not fashion!). Try Thorlo socks-get the right size and get them before you get shoes. Then, buy shoes that give you good support, don't rub or pinch AND that will fit over your Thorlo socks. And be sure your shoes fit RIGHT AWAY. Unless you are getting very sturdy and stiff dress shoes, breaking in won't increase actual comfort, or improve the fit.

To prevent moisture, spray your feet thoroughly with spray antiperspirant, let your feet dry and then put on your socks and shoes.

Change shoes and socks (or at least socks) part way through the day.

Remove insoles (if they're removeable) at the end of the day so they and the shoes dry better.

If you do all this and still develope a "hot spot" (beginning of a blister, but not blistered yet), put moleskin over it or around it to protect from further irritation. It also helps to gently massage (don't RUB, but massage) the spots that are sore, but not blistered. That gets the circulation going and helps them heal up quickly.

Buy a hightech sandal. I think blister are caused by the friction of your socks, and shoes rubbing together, plus heat and moisture.
We went in May, and I bought a pair of men's Rockport sport sandals at Marshall's for 16.00 and I was so comfy cool the whole day. They have tennis shoe type bottom, great arch and a completely padded top.

You can try on lots of sports sandals at any sporting goods store, dept. store, etc. Well worth it. My DH was not interested in a pair, nor was my 10 year old. They both suffered from blisters, even though they were wearing well broken in shoes. we had to pop, drain, and re-apply moleskin every night.

I second the Thorlo socks...Lite Walking with Cool Max...athletic stores carry them or you can get a better deal online at The Sock Company. They kept our feet dry and blister-free. Well worth the money. Have fun!:wave:

my old favorite trick if you get a blister:
put a band-aid on it and then put duck tape over the bandaid to keep the bandaid from slipping, works every time.

I rub Desitin all over my feet and it works like a charm. No blisters!! :)

I switch well worn shoes frequently. Switch from sneakers to maybe, Tevas or something that you have broken in already. Some people use moleskin, before blister to prevent one that is. Or some even spray their feet with deodorant, I'm not convinced that it works though! :D

I always get blisters, and this June I did everything I could to keep from it. I bought some of the Nike Air Presto shoes they sell in the athletic shoe stores that are all mesh - no leather or vinyl. They feel like a houseshoe with really good foot support. They are with the running shoes and come in an assortment of colors and with or without laces. I got mine at the Finish Line. I also wore thin socks that had some polyester and some cotton. Finally, after the first day of foot pounding, I decided to cut a rectangle of moleskin (available with the Dr. Scholl's stuff at Walmart) to put on my worst spots - the ball of each feet (approx 1inch by 2 inches). You could put it whereever you need it - heel, side of feet, toes, etc. It prevented the blister-causing friction mentioned in other posted replies. The stretchy shoes allowed my toes to have some space and my feet to breathe. This was my 5th trip as an adult, and although my feet were very tired at the end of each day, this has been the only trip on which I didn't get any blisters. I will always take moleskin with me from now on - at least three of the six of us found it very helpful.

One warning - I sprayed the shoes several times with some Scotch-Guard type stuff, but they were by no means water-tight. It didn't rain much for us, but I did take other shoes just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter