Blenderized diet tube feeding at the parks?

sarahtar

Mouseketeer
Anyone have a tubie in the family who is on a blenderized diet (not formula, but food blended up) who's gone to the parks? I'm curious what you did. I'm thinking of switching to Real Food Blends for the trip so I don't have to worry about keeping his blends cold.

They can't blend snything brought in from outside, but will blend anything that is available at that restaurant for the full service (sit down) restaurants.

I can't specify for the counter service places because I'm not aware if they have blenders or not. People have posted in the past about getting food at the Full Service restaurants.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. We wouldn't be blending up their food, we'd just bring HIS food. He has to have a certain number of calories but has volume restrictions, so usually just blending up regular meals won't get him the calories/mL that he needs.

Right now, when we travel, we've always driven, so I just throw his frozen blends into a cooler and toss them in the freezer at our destination (which we ensure in advance HAS a freezer). Then when we're out and about during the day, I pack his food in small pouches meant for baby food, toss them in a small cooler (lunchbag) with an ice pack, and we're good. But we're not usually out for an ENTIRE day. I'm not sure I can keep an entire day's worth of blends sufficiently cool, but maybe I can? But the big question is How Would I Get His Food To Florida?

Perhaps switching to the more expensive Real Food Blends would be easier, since I could ship them down in advance.

Commercial-packed foods (like Real Food Blends) usually get less scrutiny at security checkpoints than homemade blends, as well, but I don't know how much scrutiny to expect at the security stops at the parks.

I was just looking for first-hand experiences.

I don't think you'll have any problems bringing his food into the parks. WDW allows guests to bring food, even picnic lunches, just not big coolers. The lunchbag size cooler you mention should be no problem. Maybe you can pack more than one to use for a full day's supply? First Aid may be able to keep stuff cool, but not frozen. I'm not sure how much refrigerator space they have, and I believe meds would be a priority, but you could ask. You can also request ice at CS locations, bring a couple of ziploc baggies with you and double-bag it to help prevent leaking.

Flying with his foods -- since they are liquid or frozen liquid -- will be your bigger challenge. I think TSA will only allow you to carry-on "reasonable" amount and the rest would need to be in your checked baggage. If you can order for delivery to your resort, or find a store in Orlando and purchase once you get there, that might help considerably.

I would also be concerned about how to keep his blends frozen if you are staying at a WDW resort. The fridges in the rooms do not have very good freezers. I've read of freezer rentals for medical needs -- maybe try Care Medical. Or are you staying at GKTW? I don't know about freezers there, but I bet they are more familiar with such needs and can help you.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. We wouldn't be blending up their food, we'd just bring HIS food. He has to have a certain number of calories but has volume restrictions, so usually just blending up regular meals won't get him the calories/mL that he needs.

Right now, when we travel, we've always driven, so I just throw his frozen blends into a cooler and toss them in the freezer at our destination (which we ensure in advance HAS a freezer). Then when we're out and about during the day, I pack his food in small pouches meant for baby food, toss them in a small cooler (lunchbag) with an ice pack, and we're good. But we're not usually out for an ENTIRE day. I'm not sure I can keep an entire day's worth of blends sufficiently cool, but maybe I can? But the big question is How Would I Get His Food To Florida?

Perhaps switching to the more expensive Real Food Blends would be easier, since I could ship them down in advance.

Commercial-packed foods (like Real Food Blends) usually get less scrutiny at security checkpoints than homemade blends, as well, but I don't know how much scrutiny to expect at the security stops at the parks.

I was just looking for first-hand experiences.

Disney security won't say anything about food you don't have to worry about that aspect. They will look in bags if they see no weapons or anything looks like bombs they your fine. It Tsa will go through it more thoroughly and be a pain.
I am going to give you a number for Tsa if you want to call plus their web site if you want to look at for more info. Not sure how you could get alot of food down their if it needs to be cold maybe another diser can help with that. Maybe buy a cheaper blender and food down in Disney and make meals in the room then bring into parks. Then at any restaurant he be able to eat with out charge unless it a character meal they may charge full price or a entertainment fee it up to the manager.

Sorry if I missed the point or if it not food you blend in a blender not trying to be disrespectfully or anything.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/travelers-disabilities-and-medical-conditions

I agree that TSA is going to be your biggest problem. Especially if you need to keep it cold. They will not allow frozen ice packs (at least I had them taken when I was transporting homemade chocolates for a wedding). However, this involved carry on. I don't know how you could transport frozen foods and have them still be frozen upon arrival if you were checking it in.

I would say your safest bet would be to do the Real Food Blends especially if you can ship a box down ahead of your arrival? I am not familiar with this but, do the Real Food Blends need to be frozen or kept cool? I am just thinking if not, that would also help for in the parks.

Just something to be aware of and I know that it is very controversial here on the boards. If your family is planning on doing a Character Meal, you need to still plan on paying for your child. Just telling you this so that you are prepared and not posting to start the arguments again. Right or wrong, it is what it is.

Solidly frozen items are allowed by the TSA in your carry-on.

If you need to bring a lot of frozen items, check an ice chest filled with completely frozen food. It should make it just fine. I once checked a foam cooler filled with frozen fish on a flight ANC-IAD and it made it home, still frozen solid.

Thanks for all the replies!

We're staying at GKTW (I think) and have a full fridge/freezer, so we're good there. I'm not super worried about TSA, his foods are medically necessary (and his crap ton of meds we'll have with us are, too), and the ice packs are ALSO medically necessary. I'm only planning to carry on what we need for the day of travel plus a day, and am ready for them to open one and possibly waste it. I've been talking with a lot of other tubie parents who've flown with their kids' meds and foods and ice packs and I think we'll be fine, if very very slow. I WILL call the TSA Cares line before we go just to double check everything.

I would absolutely expect to pay for his space at a character meal or any meal where there was entertainment. (I mean, would I turn down him entering for free? no. But while I would balk at paying for him to sit at a restaurant with just food and no entertainment, I get it about paying for him if there is entertainment. They don't care if you're eating or not, you're taking up space.

Good to know Disney isn't as thorough. I wasn't looking forward to a daily "this is my kid, these are his meds, he has a feeding tube, this is his food" discussion, so glad to know we won't have one. :) And it looks like Universal allows coolers for medically necessary reasons, so we're good there, too.

The Real Food Blend is shelf-stable, which is what makes it somewhat more appealing. No worrying about being cold, keeping cold, defrosting in time, etc.

I should add - his meds are all liquids, and several MUST stay cold, so quite apart from the food, we still need ice packs, which are medically necessary and will be allowed with additional screening.

This may have changed, but a few years back we had to travel with one of my son's medications that needed to stay chilled. (He has cystic fibrosis). We left the med at the first aid since they had a fridge we could use. I don't know how often the meds you use are needed so this may not work, but it was so nice to know we didn't have to carry around a med that needed to stay cold. It ended up working great for us.

GKTW does have full size refrig with freezer. I would talk with TSA before your trip because of amount of ice packs you are going to need. we had a little trouble getting daughters medically needed ice packs thru on one grandsons Wish Trip

This is based on our experience at Disneyland, so take with a grain of salt. I don't know if the same would apply at WDW:

Our daughter is tube-fed with formula, and while they were incredibly accommodating about using their facilities for tube feedings, storing medications, etc., they said they were not allowed to refrigerate any food items, even if medically-needed.

Good to know.

Anyone happen to know if Universal has similar first aid facilities with fridges? I can't seem to find any way to ask them directly other than calling their long-distance line.

I am guessing the not being able to store food comes from the possibility of contamination from being store with meds in frig. I know from when I worked at daycare we had to have a special refrig for meds separate from food. if that is reason will most likely be same at Universal as Disney

I think the refrigerators at First Aid may be small, dorm sized ones. I have not seen them, but someone who wanted to store cooling packs for a cooling vest had written that once.

You could possibly store your cooler in a locker. They are outside, but in a pretty cool area. If you need to replenish ice, you can get more from First Aid or any counter service restaurant.
Here's some information about lockers:
http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/0...y-world-parks-the-wonderful-world-of-lockers/

Since you are going on a Wish trip, I'd suggest asking your wish granter or GKTW (once you know for sure that you will be there). I'm pretty sure they have had similar questions before.

If you bring the food into the park cold, how would you plan to warm it?
The restaurants can't warm food, but the Baby Care Centers do have microwaves you could use. I also know that some of the First Aid treatment rooms have microwaves.

Right now, I just remove his food from the cooler or fridge about 10 minutes before I intend to feed him just to take the chill off, but it doesn't need to be warmed.

Right now, I just remove his food from the cooler or fridge about 10 minutes before I intend to feed him just to take the chill off, but it doesn't need to be warmed.
Ok.
That makes it simpler :)

I'm still not sure what we'll do about his food, but the info here helps a lot. The tip about the fridge in first aid is great, though - we haven't figured out what kid of schedule we'll have for the days we're there, but we tend to be a family of night owls, and he has 9 pm meds that must be kept cool, so knowing we could stash them in their fridge instead of constantly checking on the status of my ice packs if we're there for a long day is very reassuring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter