Bitten by the Disney Bug

Disney Dining Dad

Earning My Ears
No, this is not a report about bed bugs, but more me asking if it is normal to be borderline obsessed with all things Disney after an amazing week there with my family.

My wife and I recently took my four-year-old daughter for her first trip and the first time that we had been there in more than 15 years (as kids, not together). Everything was wonderful from the resort to the food to the fireworks. We had tears in our eyes the first night when we watched the "Happily Ever After" show, and our daughter turned to us and said, "We made it here!" after we had been anticipating this trip for months.

We rode rides, met characters, spent significant time in each of the parks and grew closer together. Ever since we've been home, we've felt a sadness that the trip has ended but also incredible joy every time we see one of the souvenirs that we purchased, watch a "princess" movie or hear one of those famous Disney songs.

Judging by the fact that many posters on this board seem to make regular trips to WDW, I'm guessing it isn't crazy for us to have such warm, fuzzy feelings for our new "happy place" and long to return? I don't think we will make this an annual occurrence because we would never want to grow tired of the trip, but I can certainly see us making the two-hour flight from Pennsylvania every 2-3 years for the rest of my daughter's childhood. The experience was just so incredibly impressive, and we want to see if we can capture the magic again.

No, this is not a report about bed bugs, but more me asking if it is normal to be borderline obsessed with all things Disney after an amazing week there with my family.

My wife and I recently took my four-year-old daughter for her first trip and the first time that we had been there in more than 15 years (as kids, not together). Everything was wonderful from the resort to the food to the fireworks. We had tears in our eyes the first night when we watched the "Happily Ever After" show, and our daughter turned to us and said, "We made it here!" after we had been anticipating this trip for months.

We rode rides, met characters, spent significant time in each of the parks and grew closer together. Ever since we've been home, we've felt a sadness that the trip has ended but also incredible joy every time we see one of the souvenirs that we purchased, watch a "princess" movie or hear one of those famous Disney songs.

Judging by the fact that many posters on this board seem to make regular trips to WDW, I'm guessing it isn't crazy for us to have such warm, fuzzy feelings for our new "happy place" and long to return? I don't think we will make this an annual occurrence because we would never want to grow tired of the trip, but I can certainly see us making the two-hour flight from Pennsylvania every 2-3 years for the rest of my daughter's childhood. The experience was just so incredibly impressive, and we want to see if we can capture the magic again.

I just returned from a 10 day trip and feel the same way. Suffering from post disney depression bad and trying to figure out a way we can go back in January!

Op: there’s no chance you ll “grow tired of the trip” especially with ur little one. New Memories and they too will last a lifetime.
My ds started at about 18 mos and went yearly ( sometimes more than twice) every year ( and some were rather looong stays, lol)
He’s now in law school and likely won’t be
Returning in the next 3 years.. but I must say... the pix I have and the reunions/gatherings/celebrations and plain old fashioned vacations ... the memories are AhMazing!!!
Good luck trying to hold out... but you ll get that Itch and I say.. scratch it and start planning!
Glad it was so Magical for you/rs!

Seriously. We just spent two weeks in Florida (10 at disney world the others at Cocoa Beach) and I was feeling so gloomy after we got back home to Portland. Probably didn't help that the West Coast is on fire right now. So our normally green Oregon was looking dry and very hazy/smokey. I was ready to turn right back around. A week and a half later I am feeling a bit better, but I was really in a funk.

Awwwwwww! This SO makes me want to go back too!!!!! We were there a year ago in August, and it was great. (Hot, but great). I'm really itching to go back; I loved the planning just as much as the actual trip, ha. Glad you had a great time, and hope you get down there in the near future.

We just returned, last week, from our first trip to Disney in 20 years. We took our daughter and our two year old grandson, who turned three at the end of the trip. It was his first trip and his birthday trip. And, our first time staying onsite. It was an absolutely magical trip! Now, every day, I find myself trying to figure out when we can go again. I would go next week if we had the money. LoL There was so many things we wanted to do, that we did not have time to do. Glad to know that I am not the only one that is already dreaming about our next trip.

Perfectly normal reaction. Last year I came home on February 1st and found myself on a plane to Orlando again on March 1st.

In the past 10 years, we have only once left Disney without have our next trip already planned if not completely booked.

Seven years ago, we moved from NY to Charlotte (a short 8 hour drive).

At this point (having returned last night) we already have a fully booked trip for June, and a planned trip for January.

We have planned a trip Monday night to drive down on Thursday (that is when I was given a bonus few days off after working all weekend).

So, yeah, I get your feeling...

Annual passes are a blessing.

Ur not alone. Just got back from 2 week trip and im ready to quit my job and move to Florida and get a job at disney..lol...seriously though, i also get disney depressed after every trip and we've been goin annually for last 10yr, so im pretty sure u wont grow tired of an annual trip, its actually the opposite...gives u something to look forward to...i also enjoy spending time through out the year planning our trip and tryn to find things and food we haven't tried...if u can afford it, start planning, u wont regret it.

The more I go (and it's been a lot recently), the more I can see it with a critical eye. I noticed what has not been maintained, etc. With that being said, they do a great job of allowing you to just relax there. I was standing outside the bathrooms at the Imagination pavilion and just couldn't stop appreciating how awesome their lawn and landscaping looked. The real kicker is how nice the people there are. I know it is part of their requirement to keep their job, but they do such a good job at it that I can't help but have a good time there.

You don't have to go every year, but having a future trip in mind will help make it easier to get over not being there now, even if it is something like "we will go again in 2022". That way, when you read about new rides, etc, you can get excited, and not feel like you are missing out on something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!