Birthday Upgrade

scrapycruiser

DIS Veteran
We’ll be at Aulani in 3 weeks. It’s my 70th ( can’t believe ! ) Birthday. Is it worth asking for an upgrade ?
And if so, how do you suggest doing it ? Also, should we check in online or check in in person?
We are DVC members and have a 2 bedroom booked with an island view.

I would suggest checking in in person if you intend on asking for an upgrade. I've never heard of folks getting free upgrades when booking with DVC points, the CM's at the reception desk usually just advise the point difference required to upgrade.

The "problem" with Hawaii is that many (if not most) people are there celebrating something - Honeymoon, Anniversary, birthday etc. I have been a DVC member for 16 years and have never gotten an upgrade like that. I would book the view that you want and if you get an upgrade then that is a nice surprise, I wouldn't book down and count on it :)

I would book the view that you want and if you get an upgrade then that is a nice surprise, I wouldn't book down and count on it :)

I totally agree with this. That's what we always do and in 11 years of DVC ownership have never received (or asked for) an upgrade. We have heard other groups ask if there is availability in a higher category room, and as stated previously they were just advised of the points required to do so.

But at least have them note it on your reservation—we did get a cute anniversary dessert :)

And BTW, unless your profile pic is 20 years old, you look FABULOUS for 70!!!! Hope you feel as great as you look :)

Just wanted to say you already have a 2br with view, what upgrade are you looking for? That is an amazing room right there!
BUT, we did get an upgrade last May.
We didn't book with points, we had a Cash Reservation. Didn't pay full price, got a special rate, we were celebrating my birthday, first visit and I was pregnant. Not sure if any of that made a difference but I added all of it to my reservation and when we checked in the lovely CM told me we had been upgraded to an ocean view. We had booked a standard studio, so an Ocean View studio was an amazing upgrade.
Turns out we ended up not loving the room, our neighbours were super noisy, we complained and nothing was done. 3 out of our 5 nights we didn't sleep. Maybe the standard view might have been quieter.
But just wanted to let you know that it does happen :) even without asking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter