birthday treats - cheap and peanut-free!

Utz pretzels are out now in a big bag of individually wrapped packages for about $4. They are made in a peanut free facility!

Cupcakes made from mix and frosting from a can. 2 boxes and 2 cans will make 48-60 cupcakes. Very affordable.

We have had a boy with nut allergies in DS's class for the last several years. I called his mom the first year and she said that is a safe choice, in fact she suggested it. No chocolate chips or m&ms sprinked on top though.

I buy pillsbury cake mix and pillsbury frosing with funfetti sprinkles that come in the lid. Every year I email her to let her know the treat my DS is bringing is safe. She lets her DS know and he is able to enjoy the treat. If there is not that contact between the parents her DS will not eat a homemade treat.

Full size oreos and full size original chips ahoy are also safe.

I also saw a cookie recipe using pillsbury funfetti cake mix and frosting - that would also be safe and very festive - they make it in halloween colors.

If there is an allergy kid in the class, and you have to be peanut free, home-made might not be a good choice. Some chocolate chips do contain a peanut warning, some pretzels are not safe. Most allergy parents would not allow the child to eat a home-made goodie without knowing for sure that every thing in the item is safe. Now I always have snacks at school for DGS and he sometimes has to skip a snack and that is just life for him but if want to include this child, stick to something the teacher can read the food label for.

Our school now has a policy of no homemade treats. All treats must have a label and be store purchased.

Hi,

The OP here. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I decided to go with ice cream cups and nilla wafers. As far as I can tell, this should be okay. The teacher/child can also look at the packaging to double check. I don't know who the child is, or else I would contact the parent. Anyway, I was able to get all of this plus spoons for $21. Close enough to budget for me!

I realize this post is 9 years old. I was looking at ingredient labels via Google and this came up. If I can read it maybe others can too and my response will save a life. My response sounds snarky but truly I am just trying to answer why this isn't a good answer to the question. I wish it were that easy.

I had another thought on this. Why is the allergy kid dictating the snacks for the whole class ? When my son was gfcf I provided his snacks and did not expect the entire class to be limited to his choices.
Because although gluten won't kill your kid, peanuts and peanut reside can kill the child in question. Your child brings a Resse's Peanut Butter Cup and does not wash his hands afterwards, as most children are prone to do. He then touches the table, door knob, pencil, light switch...etc of the child with the peanut allergy. That child touches the oil residue and puts his hand to his face. Now imagine 44 children with peanut oil residue and what type of contamination that will cause. Absolutely not worth it when you could easily substitute something that all of the children can safely eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter