Birthday cakes

luvnwdwgal

DIS Veteran
Just curious but how many of you make or buy your own birthday cake? The last birthday cake I had was one my mom baked for me when I turned 19 which was 39 years ago. I got married a few months later and that was the end of them. Since this year has been so crappy I think I really deserve one so I guess I’ll have to do it myself. You would think that since I bake my husband’s favorite for him every year that he would get a clue. No such luck. 🙄

We pretty much always used to years ago. Then it switched to sometimes yes, and sometimes no. Some of that depended on what the birthday person liked, and whether it was even a cake available commercially. Some had favorites that had to made at home, so were. Now that being said, while growing up four out of the five of us had summer birthdays, so there were a lot of store bought ice cream cakes in there too!

Leave that recipe and ingredients out on the counter and see if anyone picks up on the hint! Actually, no reason you can’t just ask for that to be part of your birthday gift.

My family usually asks me what I want. One year my son baked me a cake. But overall I prefer a storebought cake from a very nice bakery. Now don't go thinking my family is all considerate or anything. The just want cake and they are up for any excuse to have one.

We make or buy a dessert of some sort for birthdays. I am usually the one doing the baking so I have often made my own birthday dessert.

For birthdays we usually buy cupcakes from a local bakery so everyone gets their favorite flavor. Sometimes the kids bake me a cake on my birthday. A little messy but a sweet gesture.

I bake all the cakes for our family and DH’s extended family. I’ve done some wedding cakes too. Just a hobby of mine.
Same for me. I enjoy it and like to try to bake elaborate cakes for the family-a full size lacrosse stick, when the kids were little-Shrek and Fiona, Spongebob, tiered cakes with sugar paste figurines, etc. I guess I passed my love for baking down to my daughters. My youngest(15) just made me a cake for Mother’s Day with a hidden Mickey. When you sliced it, inside was a chocolate cake in the shape of the three circle Mickey.

Normally we all get dessert from wherever we do take out. If we get together with the in laws, my MIL will buy me a cake. This year I turned 40. My parents and in laws came over and my mom baked a boxed cake.

Same for me. I enjoy it and like to try to bake elaborate cakes for the family-a full size lacrosse stick, when the kids were little-Shrek and Fiona, Spongebob, tiered cakes with sugar paste figurines, etc. I guess I passed my love for baking down to my daughters. My youngest(15) just made me a cake for Mother’s Day with a hidden Mickey. When you sliced it, inside was a chocolate cake in the shape of the three circle Mickey.
That’s awesome!

Growing up I would always make my own birthday cake. I think the last one I made was when I turned 18 and haven't had one since so about seven years.

For a birthday cake, I like having that festive look with all the professional fancy piping and whatnot. I can't do that and I don't know anyone personally who can do that. So store bought it is. Cakes that I actually bake myself usually have no special occasion attached to them.

We love Publix cakes, so usually we buy those. My birthday this year was during the quarantine, so my sister mail ordered a cake for me from a bakery that would ship and that was expensive, but delicious. I can’t remember the last time anyone in our family baked a cake, although we do bake other desserts.

My youngest makes me a Black Forest cake every year. If she didn’t I might get a cupcake for myself.

I had a coworker that would make my favorite cake for my birthday every year. We have moved buildings and the space is different so she hasn't made cakes in a while. As far as family and birthday cake- My brother's birthday is a week before mine. Growing up we always had a shared cake- his candles on one side and mine of the other. Then I married someone with the same birthday as me. There were a few years my mom got a birthday cake and had all 3 of us on it.

I bake every one else’s cakes but mine is store bought. I don’t mind though. I often get a craving for our local grocery stores birthday cake and my husband gets me one a few times a year and always has them write something on it such as “it’s someone’s birthday” “here’s a cake” “love you”

My birthday is in December so my Mom started the tradition( out of the lazy fact that that was all they had) of giving me a Christmas decorated(red and green) cake. For the longest time I bought my own, I'm very particular about my cake and didn't trust my husband (and he never had any desire to get me one :)) to do it. Until a couple of years ago. He drove 45 minutes to an outstanding bakery to get my cake. Fantastic! Now, we've moved and they just recently closed their doors after many, many years of business. It was a great bakery. Going to have to find a new bakery :)

I made my own birthday cake this year. I knew exactly what I wanted, so I decided not to take any chances, lol. It was delicious.

I can't even remember the last time I had a cake on my birthday. I'm pretty certain I never did as a teen even, but I'm also not really a cake person. I rarely even eat cake at the kids birthdays despite me being the one to bake them. DH isn't a huge cake person either, so I'll oftentimes make him something different for his birthday (cookies, cobbler, etc). For mine, they always take me out to eat, and I'm just grateful that 1) I don't have to cook, and 2) They pick the restaurant but always pick somewhere I will like. I detest deciding what to eat and it's pretty much the only time of the year that I don't have to, which is the best present they could give me.

OP, if you want a cake, ask for it. I do think that spouses sometimes are just oblivious to certain things, especially if it hasn't been the norm of getting you a cake after so many years. He probably just doesn't even realize it's something you would want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!