• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BiPolar Brother

sunny04

DIS Veteran
I haven't seen this listed on here as a disability, but it really is. In October, we will be having a Grand Gathering with my family. This includes my nearly 40 year old brother who is BiPolar and ADD, and doesn't always deal well with any kind of stress. I am the baby sister, at only 27, but due to the situation being as it is, I assume I will also be the "baby-sitter" for my big brother! ;) Does anyone have suggestions or experiences with bi-polar issues at WDW? Ways to prevent him from getting agitated and yelling at a CM??? Activity ideas out of the parks? Anything?
Thanks.

I'd be sure to have a plan to leave suddenly if necessary. I'd also plan on taking a break midday. Does your brother like to swim? I'd take things slowly and let him take lots of breaks as needed. Mostly, though, have fun!

If his therapist or pdoc has given him the tools to use trigger words to get away from a situation, set one up with him that he can say to you where you will leave the situation with him, no questions asked. Or if he can function on his own, one he can say to you where he can leave the situation no questions asked.

If he is on meds, make sure he takes them and takes them on time (it is easy to loose track of time in Disney, so an alarm on a cell phone is a good idea).

Ask him if there are certain things that set him off, like lack of sleep or too much sunlight or too much noise or whatnot.

Keep checking in on how he's really dealing with everything and if it looks like things aren't going well, take a break. Use the First Aid center for a quiet place to rest from all the Disney stimulation, if need be.

If there are certain things in his daily schedule that he needs done in a certain order or at a certain time, make sure they get done. If he needs to eat often or at a certain time, do so.

I used to tell people that if they got overwhelmed in the parks, head to a relaxing resort, esp. if you're not staying on property and have your own resort to return to. From MK it's a short monorail ride to the Poly ( can sometimes be noisy though inside the GCH ), GF, or boat ride to WL ( the most relaxing of the ones easier to get to IMO). At WL there's the area in front of the fireplace with rocking chairs plus the relaxing sound of the water inside from the geyser. If at Epcot, head to Beach Club and rest in the lobby alcove seating, if in MGM, take the boat to YC/BC for the same thing. I know it takes time but sometimes just getting out of the hustle/bustle for awhile makes a big difference. You can feel stress just rolling off your shoulders.---Kathy

I have been trying for several years to get my brother to WDW. He will soon be 50, and has been Bi Polar for for the last 25. Getting him away from the stress of the real world and exposing him to a fantasy world in our situation I feel would be a good thing. It has taken him a long time to come to terms with it, and he can recognize signs that are leading him towards an episode, so he is better at avoiding things or being able to get past them more quickly. I too have learned how to diffuse some matters or help him ease into things. I say all this as if I understand Bi Polar when I really dont. I have just learned how to better deal with it. You will be the same. You will know as good as anyone what may or may not set your brother off. So you will be fine at WDW. Go and have a wonderful time!

I haven't seen this listed on here as a disability, but it really is.
I just wanted to mention that just because something is not listed here as a disability doesn't mean anyone thinks it isn't one.
Rather than actual diagnosis, it's easier to talk about needs. Many people with the same diagnosis might have very different needs than another person with that diagnosis.
But, people with a different diagnosis might have very similar needs - for example, schedule, quiet places to chill out , etc. might be equally important for someone with autism or someone with BiPolar.
Besides the great things already posted on this thread, you might want to go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread and check out some of the links in post #3. The ones about autism might have some advice that would be helpful to you.

A lot of the information already posted in this thread have to do with communication and pre-planning - which are going to be very important for your situation.
Another thing that will be helpful will be figuring out where it's going to be most busy and trying to avoid those places. A service like TourGuide Mike (a Theme Parks Sponsor) can really help with figuring out what is busy when so that you can avoid those places. All parks have certain times when the park is less busy or when certain attractions at that park are less busy. For example, if you try to go on Spaceship Earth in the morning, you are looking at a wait of an hour or so in line. If you go in the late afternoon, you will probably be able to ride as fast as you can walk thru the queue. For Fantasyland rides, getting there at park opening enables you to ride most without more than a few minutes wait. If you arrive after 11am, the waits are much longer as more people show up in the park.TourGuide Mike was a VIP Tour Guide with Disney and has used his knowledge about those things on his website.

Fastpasses can also help with avoiding waits in line. The other thing about coming back to a ride with a Fastpass that is nice is it's very predictable. The Fastpass has a return time printed on it for you to come back to the attraction. When you do, the wait in line is going to be usually 10-15 minutes or less.
There is information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread about Guest Assistance Cards (GACs), but one caution is that the GAC is not always handled the exact same way, even on the same attraction. It can vary based on what is available at the attraction and the conditions on that attraction at the time you came. Some people can roll with that, for others that uncertainty in itself can cause some problems. For that reason, I think TourGuide Mike would be a better option for you.

Also, I'd suggest planning with him what attractions he wants to see. That is something you can plan ahead of time and knowing can help you avoid some possible stressors - like if he wants to see a particular attraction, it's better to know ahead of time that one is being renovated. Some of the parades and shows are only available on certain days or times; that helps so you don't plan on an attraction on a Wed that is only available that week on Fri and Sat.

Thanks for your input so far. Unfortunately, he does not have a great counselor, but instead one that does what he wants at all times. So, he doesn't take much medication at all, and changes it on his own whims. He also doesn't really believe he's as difficult as he can be at times. So, as much as I know about WDW, and all the planning I do probably won't help. But I will certainly try to get him to think about it ahead of time and use your suggestions. All I can do is try! :)

As a person with Bipolar II, the advice I have is to know what triggers the stress. For me it is lack of sleep, heat, HUGE crowds or hunger. I make sure I take my meds while there. Like someone said it can be sometimes hard to remember while at the world because you are so "in the moment" there.....manic.
We go early to the parks avoiding the EMH's except for MK and then leave for a late lunch at the resorts. Rest up or swim during the hot part of the day and then return for an evening of parks. My family knows that if I say "I gotta get away" then we head for a show, a drink stop, or whatever.
Knowing from TourGuide Mike what the busy park days are have helped to avoid the crowds of people. The absolute worst for me are the mass exits with the busses at night. OMG!
What if you let him help with the planning? That way he might feel more control.

I'm bipolar and a huge disney fan. I make sure I always have xanax or adivan in case of panic attacks. We usually go at less busy times since I can have a hard time with large crowds of people. We also use fast pass alot since it is easier and it cuts down on waiting in line (which no one wants to do). Taking meds on schedule is a real big thing. If I consistently forget to take my meds I will become manic.

Thanks guys for all the input. I hope some of this will actually help. But, again, he doesn't really take his medicine, or really want to discuss his problems. So, it will be difficult to find solutions! Last year, we were all in Universal, but we stayed on property so - no lines, no crowds. And the last day, he spent it alone in his hotel room...which was probably just fine with him! And, we STILL had episodes in the parks, and him yelling at workers. I would love to avoid that, and for him to have a great time. But, again, he is no where near as aware of his own needs as you guys are!! Maybe I can get him to really think about it beforehand....thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter