• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bioscan Exceptions & Accuracy of CM Advice

michellex2

Mouseketeer
A couple of questions:
(1) I was wondering if the CMs will make an exception for an impaired person with the bioscan if someone is unable to do the bioscan correctly. I'm worried about my elderly 84 year old mother who uses a wheelchair. Her dementia makes it hard for her to follow unfamiliar directions and procedures. I've never done the scan but understand that some people have trouble with it. If it turns out to be beyond her ability, will they let her skip it?

(2) In your experience, how accurate have you found the CM's to be in their advice about access, exiting and ride/attraction issues for someone who's impaired? There are some rides that I'm not sure of from reading the descriptions and since I haven't ridden them myself it's hard to judge for sure. Are the CM's usually pretty on target with helping you clarify if a certain ride is OK or do they expect you to know that ahead of time?

Input, as always, is appreciated! :confused:

I know that if I'm working a turnstile and it is obvious to me that the person is having a real problem with the biometrics (wc bound, elderly or child 10 or older who appears to have DS or Autism) I will almost automatically push a button to override the biometrics and release the turnstile. I am aware that several of the other people where I work do the same. Once you've worked turnstiles for a few days you get to easily recognize where problems are.

I've never worked attractions. However, unless a person is new to the attraction they have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done. Generally if you explain your concerns they should be able to assist you.

michellex2 said:
A couple of questions:
(1) I was wondering if the CMs will make an exception for an impaired person with the bioscan if someone is unable to do the bioscan correctly. I'm worried about my elderly 84 year old mother who uses a wheelchair. Her dementia makes it hard for her to follow unfamiliar directions and procedures. I've never done the scan but understand that some people have trouble with it. If it turns out to be beyond her ability, will they let her skip it?
They don't generally make anyone using a wheelchair do the bioscan. When we come toward the turnstiles with DD in her wheelchair, they usually automatically get ready to have her pass thru without doing a scan. Because of being seated, reaching up to do the bioscan is rather awkward.
(2) In your experience, how accurate have you found the CM's to be in their advice about access, exiting and ride/attraction issues for someone who's impaired? There are some rides that I'm not sure of from reading the descriptions and since I haven't ridden them myself it's hard to judge for sure. Are the CM's usually pretty on target with helping you clarify if a certain ride is OK or do they expect you to know that ahead of time?

Input, as always, is appreciated! :confused:
The CMs rotate thru all the "job/postions" on the attraction they are assigned to, so the CM at the entrance does know what boarding is like.
Whether or not they can answer your questions probably depends on how clearly you are able to ask and make them understand what you need.

Another place to ask is the status board (marked with an "i" on the park maps. The CMs there can answer a lot of questions and usually have more time to answer questions than the CMs at the attractions.

This thread about boarding rides if you need a bit more time should also be helpful.

I'm glad that we probably will not need to have her do the bioscan as I think it would stress her out -- she gets very worried about doing something wrong.

With the ride clarifications, this trip I'm learning more before I go, so hopefully I'll be pretty aware of ride access issues for her which should make things easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter