• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BIGGEST Mistake I Made at WDW!!!

tink2dw

Pixie Dust or Bust!!
I had NO IDEA AND must have missed the FACT that the Park Entrances aren't a gate and bam you are in.

I was recovering[not to well] from a Knee injury. So,walking was still hard and I had no endurence.

Getting from the car to the tram would wear me out,till we started asking for closer parking,most of the people directing the parking process were very kind and would allow us to park with in a few spaces of the tram side of the parking area.

But the one thing I just couldn't understand or find a solution to was the fact that from the Curb to any ride was MILES!!

And even from the Curb to the wheel chair rental area it was at least a mile!! and always tucked wayyyyyyyyy out of the way.

I share this info so others can be more prepared than I was. It took so much effert and wasted so much energy that I needed, to enjoy the parks.

Good point!!! Sorry to hear you had some initial problems! I never really thought about how far away the w/c rental areas are until just now.

Hope you managed to have fun anyway and that your knee is getting better day by day!
Sue

We try to remind people that the distances to the parks and between attractions are vast, but it is one of those things that people often learn on their own. You can ask the parking attendant to let you park by the tram stop if you have medical reasons -- this is often preferable to the handicapped parking lot. And that walk to the wheelchair rental area is a bear - that is why we recommend that people either get their wheelchairs from the resort and use them, or rent one from the comapnies that do long-term rentals.

I know what you mean, it is easy to forget how much energy it takes to get from Point A to Point B. Another mistake people make is to *think* that they can go like gangbusters in the morning and take a mid-day break, then rest up and go again at night, not realizing that taking that mid-day break could cost them as much energy as staying at the park. They wear themselves out and miss out later. It is very important to pace yourself throughout the day.

Originally posted by teri
Another mistake people make is to *think* that they can go like gangbusters in the morning and take a mid-day break, then rest up and go again at night, not realizing that taking that mid-day break could cost them as much energy as staying at the park.
Teri,

Is it the (non-trivial) effort of getting back to the resort that is the culprit here?

That's one of the reasons we never went back to the resort for a midafternoon break, even when our kids were little. It seemed to me that resting in the room was just not worth all the aggrevation and energy that the trip back took. (And the kids never rested once we got back anyway).
There are shady spots in all the parks where you can just sit and vegetate. And if you need some heavy duty resting, First Aid in each park has cots.
As for renting a wheelchair in the parks, most people who need one, need it before they get to that point.

You could find a spot near the tram drop off area to sit or lean while someone in your party went up ahead and rented the chair, and brought the chair back for you.

We've seen people do that. It's a good idea. SOme of the parks have quite a few benches around the entrance of the park. THat helps a lot, so at least you don't have to do the "trip" in all at one time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter