Biggest debate and conversation?

Rebma512

Mouseketeer
I’ve only discovered the boards/podcast recently( as in like 2/2020), while planning our first trip with our kids that was supposed to happen in April. What an interesting time to become so (Deeply) interested in WDW. And what a lot to follow along with!
My question is, especially for those that have been around a while...
What else in the past that has sparked so much conversation or upset? Obviously this is hopefully a once in a lifetime situation so I’m not sure there may not be much as a close comparison (in retrospect).
What USED to be the big debate? What did Disney do to make you upset in the past? What was a big deal or big news that may pale in comparison to now? What do wish you could go back to as your big Disney concern/debate/upset/excitement?

Resort pool hopping.

Pre-chip discussions about returning to WDW with your refillable mug from a past visit.

Pool hopping with a refillable mug from a past visit (OK, this is a bit silly).

Pie v cake (inside joke for old inhabitants of the Podcast forum).

Needless to say, I long for the days when these were the topics that drove moderators nuts.

I remember when Disney took away Extra Magic Hours, I think it had a different name, like a 100 years ago, and tried to placate guests with resort visits of characters. Didn't work.

Biggest discussion I have seen is just related to the "value" of a Disney trip - so a few angles:
- price increases in general, and then the date based pricing
- reduction of hours
- the rise of the hard ticket event, so having to pay "more" for similar experience
- the amount of planning that goes into a trip now - does it take away the fun/add stress

Somewhat relate would be FP+ vs FP- (paper FP)

What USED to be the big debate? What did Disney do to make you upset in the past? What was a big deal or big news that may pale in comparison to now?
There was a huge debate here on the boards when Disney World allowed dogs in some resorts. Lots of anger, hurt feelings and "We will never stay on site again." posts.
There there was a long debate when Disney World started charging for parking. Lots of anger, hurt feelings and "We will never stay on site again." posts.

Of course the current issues is much more complex because we are dealing with health and safety. We still get lots of anger and hurt feelings.

Smoking. Don't know how it became when it was outlawed all together, since I did't go then, but I know when it was "smoking spots" I saw many arguments, death stares, and shouting matches take place, when the rules were flouted. I even used to get upset, watching others just break out a ciggie when and wherever, because I TRIED to follow the rules, despite he fact they kept MOVING where the smoking spots were located - since I still smoked when this changed (I quit smoking and drinking 11 years ago the end of June) I TRIED to follow the rules, but it was HARD sometimes, and I used to call it "the Smoking Spot Scavenger Hunt". I distinctly remember them moving the SAME spot THREE TIMES during a week or a bit longer trip I was on in MGM. When I spent 1/2 an hour trying to find it, with several CM's telling me where it was SUPPOSED to be, I ducked into a quiet/somewhat secluded area near One Man's Dream (where the spot had been, just a few days earlier, and I had been sent while looking by SEVERAL CM's). But it's me. So guess what? BUSTED by a CM. :o

Last edited:
I remember when Disney took away Extra Magic Hours, I think it had a different name, like a 100 years ago, and tried to placate guests with resort visits of characters. Didn't work.
Magical Mornings, or something like that maybe? I remember it was always in the morning, and when I first started going ('93), it was - if I'm remembering right - only certain parks, and certain mornings, and never at night).

And the Character Cavalcade (I definitely remember that name right) was NOT a substitute AT ALL, and was LAME, so therefore short-lived. LOL I did enjoy the double decker bus that used to come in to open the day in WS in Epcot with characters though.

What would happen with the Skyliner come summer 2020 was one of the most current heated debates 🤣
Were people going to be turned into rotisserie chickens and die of heat stroke trapped up there, lol.

Throwaway onsite campsites. Walking DVC reservations. STRAWS. Taking kids out of school for a park visit. Entitlement. Prices. Shoulder kids. Abusing Disney Parks DAS (disability access service). Line cutting or place holding. Towels reserving poolside chairs.

Those are some of the repeatedly argued topics before CoV19. The DIS has a community mild mannered polemicists. Sure it can get nasty but nowhere near the depth or frequency seen elsewhere. Pretty tame for the most part.

The skyliner discussion when it first opened to the public, and subsequent evacuations, caused such a stir that the YouTube comments were initially deleted but did reappear shortly after!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!