Big Changes to WDW Annual Passholder Resort Discounts

BunnieGene said:
Oh, I misunderstood. I guess that voucher to activation period is only for new passholders. So...if I let mine expire, how long do I have to wait until I am a "new" passholder again ? :)
You don't have to wait. Anytime after your existing AP expires you can order a new AP, pay full price, be treated as a "new" passholder, and get a voucher that can be activated further off in the future.

I don't bother to get vouchers, I just buy an AP when I arrive at the park.

Sammie said:
Based on info shared with me from friends at Disney this is my opinion of what has happend.

We have been AP holders for many years. We never bought it expecting anything but unlimited admission to the parks. Anything else was just an added bonus. As long as Disney discounts the rooms more than rack rate, or AAA, etc. it is still the best offer.

As with many things at Disney the wheels to correct problems, abuses, etc are slow to turn, but turn they do. This is a another example.

All those people who got on these forums and stated that AP's were not ever checked when they checked in which easily encourages many to not even buy a pass, all those that booked multiple rooms and never had any plans to keep all of them while they waited on the AP rates to come out, even those that used a child's AP ( even though Disney allowed it) have in some way contributed to these changes. Because even though in the past Disney allowed these situations, they never meant for the Annual Pass room discount to evolve into this. The program has always been a perk for a (current passholder), someone that already has the pass. The Internet changed all that.

So if you want to get angry at someone over this change get angry at those that effected the change not at Disney for making a smart business move.

We will continue to buy our passes for their orginial intention, park admission. If we can get a discounted rate then that will be great.

We also bought AP's with the intent of saving on park admissions. I would have never bought an AP for one person without buying one for the entire family - just didn't make sense to me. We will continue to buy AP's for park admission (5 of them total).

However, I'm disappointed that I need an "active" AP to get an AP rate when booking my room when I do buy them for my entire family. Maybe Disney should change the policy so that all guests occupying a room need to have proof of an AP upon booking or arrival & follow through with this. (even if it is just a voucher) There must be #'s on vouchers that can be verified that get changed over to AP pass #. :confused3

I understand what you saying about getting upset with people that abuse the system, but what about CM's following through on what should be done. They should really ask to see an active AP upon check-in & if it can't be produced then the guest needs to pay rack rate.

It's sad & frustrating that there are some people that just want to "beat the system" & others must live with the consequences. I could never understand why someone would only buy one AP - never made sense to me anyway.

JMO. :)

I think the changes are simply because the travel industry is on an upswing. So, why not make it harder to get discounts? I'm not so self-righteous as others. I bought the AP for admission and with hopes of getting a discount. And have continued to buy two passes annually since 2000. However, we go during the F&W Festival and stay at an Epcot DVC resort. Annual passholders rates haven't been available there during the F&W Festival since at least 2001.

This can hardly be the result of people using a child's pass to get the discount. Disney allowed it and knew about it. Also, Disney allowed people to book without an active pass. And, I don't know how people manage to carry more than one reservation. I've never been able to.

Also, if Disney is trying to fill empty rooms, they're going to be less than vigilant about checking passes at checkin. They'd rather have a filled room than an empty one! So, don't blame the internet -- and don't blame this site. I don't think I'm to blame for this and I refuse to take any blame for it or to blame others on this site (unlike some posters).

If anything, blame the fact that the travel industry is no longer in a 9/11 depression. Cruise lines have taken steps in the last 6 months to prop up their pricing and eliminate discounting. So have the airlines. I don't know about others, but I'm paying twice what I used to for a typical flight I take regularly. Can't fly for less than $700 these days on a flight that used to cost about $300.

Disney is merely doing the same. You can see this with the free Dining offer. Disney is betting that they'll make more money doing that than offering room discounts. After all, a room discount is real money in your pocket to spend any way you like, whether at Disney or elsewhere. But, to benefit from the free dining, you have to pay rack rate for the room, and then, you really have to consume all that food. You've given up real money in your pocket in return for being able to stuff yourself!

Disney is betting most people will get tired of eating before they actually consume all the food they could. Also, remember that food is very cheap in this country and has an extremely high mark up in restaurants. So, Disney calculates that offering free dining won't hurt their bottom line nearly as much as room discounts. Very cagey!

It's all supply and demand (remember Econ 101?) The only way to solve this is if lots of people clamoring for a discount refuse to go unless they get one.

Any volunteers?

Then, Disney will have to start discounting again!

Sammie--I agree with you 100%, no problem getting rid of the child's AP loophole, one AP per room or even requiring an active AP. Use the discount to encourage additional trips. MY PROBLEM:

With a non-refundable deposit Disney is trying to get guests to book at rack rate even if AAA rates are available. Best available rate is BS when AAA rates are excluded as are promotions like free dining, and PIN codes. Disney could even come up with a series of discounts targeted to parts of the country (i.e. a NE discount code in the NE newspapers) and not match that rate.

I'd object less if Disney went even further, give a deeply discount AP rate (50%) but require you to pre-pay with no, or limited, changes or cancellations. Many hotels are offering those kind of deals.

Sammie said:
Based on info shared with me from friends at Disney this is my opinion of what has happend.

We have been AP holders for many years. We never bought it expecting anything but unlimited admission to the parks. Anything else was just an added bonus. As long as Disney discounts the rooms more than rack rate, or AAA, etc. it is still the best offer.

As with many things at Disney the wheels to correct problems, abuses, etc are slow to turn, but turn they do. This is a another example.

All those people who got on these forums and stated that AP's were not ever checked when they checked in which easily encourages many to not even buy a pass, all those that booked multiple rooms and never had any plans to keep all of them while they waited on the AP rates to come out, even those that used a child's AP ( even though Disney allowed it) have in some way contributed to these changes. Because even though in the past Disney allowed these situations, they never meant for the Annual Pass room discount to evolve into this. The program has always been a perk for a (current passholder), someone that already has the pass. The Internet changed all that.

So if you want to get angry at someone over this change get angry at those that effected the change not at Disney for making a smart business move.

We will continue to buy our passes for their orginial intention, park admission. If we can get a discounted rate then that will be great.

lyncruiser said:
The only way to solve this is if lots of people clamoring for a discount refuse to go unless they get one.

Any volunteers?

Then, Disney will have to start discounting again!

I agree with your entire post. There are many fine hotels and resorts off-site that are happy to discount and even offer deeply discounted rooms on Priceline. If Disney doesn't have the resort I want at the price I'm willing to pay I have no problem staying somewhere else.

While I do agree they are a business and why not fill up a room at rack than with a discount. I am a shareholder so I like to see my stock go up too ;)

Its just that this new program is very sketchy. Why in the world would I give them a non-refundable deposit? I think that is the biggest turn off is the non-refundable issue with a close second going to the 120 days or more.

I book more than 120 days but I do book AAA so at least I know I am getting a decent rate if AP doesn't come out. I am not willing to gamble a non-refundable deposit on a higher room rate when I can have a refundable one on a lower room rate.

Believe me I know the room discount is only a perk and I book what I can afford if there isn't one that comes out. I started buying AP's for the reason of park admission, although I did like the other perks.

But they are still going about it the wrong way and those good customers are getting the short end of the stick. Its almost like being penalized for having one. I know you aren't really because you are getting great admission along with other things but when the non ap holder can get a refundable rack room rate and the AP holder doesn't????? What sense does that make??

I really think the big issues is the non-refundable. If they made it refundable prior to 5 days ahead of time like now, I don't think there would be such a fuss. Most would be ok with it, I know I sure would be.

I have to admit that I'm pretty confused about this whole AP thing as I've never purchased one before.. :confused3

I had planned on purchasing one for a trip we hope to make in late Nov/early Dec., but there's no way we can make a definite commitment 120 days out.. (Waiting for my house to be sold..)

I'm not interested in paying rack rate for the length of time we'll be there (I just don't feel as though any of the Disney Resort rooms are worth it) and I'm one of those people who like to know exactly what it is I'm paying right up front - not wondering if they will or will not come up with the discounts and apply them correctly..

I'll probably still get the AP as I'll be spending 3 months in Florida next winter but I guess I'm going to have to start checking on some off-site accomodations.. I was really looking forward to taking my granddaughter to Pop Century, but a non-refundable deposit and only a "promise" of applying discounts just isn't my cup of tea.. :(

I'm glad they have made some of these changes.
HOWEVER, booking 120 days out for AP holders is impractical. Many AP holders (including myself) make last minute trips based on the fact we have an AP and can squeeze another trip in, and hey! look! a room discount is available for it, so let's just go....! That can't happen with this system at all, so AP holders will be less likely to make more trips. Why would disney want that?
Also, I let my family's passes expire because I knew we wouldn't be back for a few months, so how do I get online to book the room without an active pass? Can I get online with a voucher?

Has anyone called CRO to see what they are saying when you ask if there are any "AP discounts"?

I do feel bad for the cm's. I can only imagine the angry calls they may take from angry ap holders.

Again, my big complaint with this new system is the non-refundable deposit. That really stinks. :sad2:

OK, that being said, I wonder if the quote is correct--the online bookings "do not" qualify for the Best Rate guarantee? I thought that was precisely what the change was guaranteeing. I must be confused. What would be the point of this "change" if you could still book AP rates on the phone, and the online bookings had no Best Rate guarantee (which would be your enticement to book online) and also came with the crappy online cancellation policies? :rolleyes:

it's PHONE IN bookings that do not qualify for the best rate guarantee.

It's important to differentiate here, the "Passholder Best Rate Guarantee" is different from the passholder codes. they should have made more of a distinction on that from the get go; even the button on the TA site says "passholder room only offer for travel dates 10/8 - 11/26" which is the same wording for the other buttons to book AP rates online. Had they informed us of the new program, or even had the text on the button says something different, it would have been more clear. As it stands now, the official statement on what the best rate program is can only be found on the passholder site, it's not available on the TA site at all. They should have made it more clear that it's a different program entirely. For the passholder who already owns their pass, it's a way to not have to call repeatedly to have rates applied. The nonrefundable deposit will alienate some but that may change, we just have to wait and see.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these changes end up incorportate into the passholder rate program in the future. Like needing an AP or an AP voucher in hand to book the rate and possibly a stricter (though not necissarily nonrefundable) cancellation policy.

My biggest beef with this new deal is the number of unanswered questions and the fact that I spoke with no fewer than 20 CMs yesterday and over half of them....including the sales rep in the TA sales department!...had no idea what I was talking about, that had not been informed about this at all, had no idea anything to do with AP rates was available online. I had more than one who told me I was wrong, that you can't book any discount online (and refused to look at the site in question) and when I called to ask why right above the credit card payment info it says if you cancel 46 days or more in advance you get a refund of the deposit but in the terms and conditions of the same offer it said nonrefundable one CM told me I was making it up. That deposits for room only "have always been and will always be 5 cancellation." I spent a good five minutes trying to get her to just LOOK at the TA website with me and see what I was saying. It took 2 sales reps to get someone to look for me. The questions everyone has should have been addressed before roll out and ALL CMs should have been informed about this (apparently not everyone was invited to the meeting described in this and another thread). I'm sure the answers will come, but it was frustrating to have this happen on a Friday afternoon when many of the people involved in the decision had already left for the day.

Crankjax said:
I was under the impression that all posted information on the internet, that doesn't have specific copyrights attached, is able to be shared with all???? Sorry if I offended anyone but I believe that all information out there should be shared if it can help other Disney enthusiasts, agree?

While legally you can probably post info that someone has specifically asked you not to, but it is not good netiquette.

it's PHONE IN bookings that do not qualify for the best rate guarantee.
That's what I thought. I agree that it appears to be simply a change to add the ability to book an AP rate through the website, not a change to the phone reservation policies, or AP rate policies in general.

I do agree that booking with the restrictions prior to knowing for sure how much the discount will be, is not something I am willing to support. Hopefully that will be fine tuned.

However if enough people are willing to, then so be it. I will simply book what I can afford through CRO with the usual cancellation policy.

I do know that many vacation destinations do require a much more strigent cancellation policy than 5 days. Many require 2 weeks up to one month.

Certain posts were edited or removed because the poster did not have the permission of the original person. That person asked that the information be removed.

Please be careful with what you post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter