Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

We woke up to our last day at Disney.

:sad1:

While we were preparing to leave the suite, James got a frozen water bottle from the freezer and said, “Look at this frozen bottle station.”

Demonstrating my Star Wars fan-dom, I replied, “Fully operational frozen bottle station!”

Nicely done! :thumbsup2

We can’t wait for Galaxy’s Edge, but that’s another trip. And I hope I have this report done before then.

I can't wait for Galaxy's Edge!

...in about 5 years, when hopefully the insane crowds have died down.

We asked them where they were trying to go and they said “Epcot”. We pointed them in the direction that the wife had indicated, and I said to the guy, “Sorry dude!”. She said something like, “What’re you supposed to say?” And he replied, “Yes, dear”. Not a good start to the day for that guy.

D'oh. Now he has to ask for directions forever.

One thing I had on my “must do” list was to eat a cronut.

This absolutely should be on the list.

Even though the kids are older, they still enjoy these games after the ride.

It's cool that they incorporate the designs into the games.

Of course we’ve all tried Beverly before, but it had been a while so I lined the girls up for the taste test.

Because it's what you do.

The rest of us went to ride Mission Space. We would be riding the Orange side, the more intense ride. You’d think the more intense ride would be Green, as in the color you turn when you’re on it.

I always remembered it as orange is the color of...well, that's what the bags are for.

It was a good thing I was there, since I came up with the idea that we do a slingshot around the moon for a gravity-assisted boost. I don’t know how the kids would’ve made it back to Earth without me. In addition to that and my assigned job in the capsule (whatever that was), I was also able to get this picture of the kids performing their assigned jobs.

Good thinking! Sounds like a quality navigator. Unless you steered them into an asteroid field.

According to the ride, in my future, I’m going to be very active and outdoorsy! Looking forward to that.

And a cold-weather guy, too!

Well I am all caught up , and resisted counting Judie's :rotfl2:

:laughing: Old habits are hard to break! Glad you're caught up.

I am busy planning a trip to Universal in October !! I also hope t o doDisney next May for F&G fest !!

Sounds like fun. Our next trip to Disney won't be until Galaxy's Edge is finished; probably after Christmas and over New Year's next year (ie. 2019/2020).

If it's a street entertainer they would ask to be paid for it.

Money well spent, I'm sure. ;)

RARE OCCASIONS? I think you mean all occasions.

I figured you'd have something to say about that!

Really? Where?

We've talked probably North or South Carolina. We lived in North Carolina for a few years back in the '90's. And we've really enjoyed Hilton Head when we've visited. No rush deciding at this point though!

Nicely done! :thumbsup2

I thought you'd like that one.

I can't wait for Galaxy's Edge!

...in about 5 years, when hopefully the insane crowds have died down.

I've started planning my DVC points out a few years and as I've stated before I'm thinking that we hit Galaxy's Edge soon after it opens for James' big graduation trip (which is overdue, but he wants to wait for GE). Anyway, the new twist is...I had an idea that maybe Judy and I get Annual Passes and we make an parents-only trip later in 2020 during Food and Wine. :scratchin (Or, should I say, Food and Wine and more Galaxy's Edge?)

D'oh. Now he has to ask for directions forever.

Yeah, I don't know how he works his way out of this one.

This absolutely should be on the list.

Yup.

It's cool that they incorporate the designs into the games.

Yes, they have improved so many ride queue's with diversions like this.

Because it's what you do.

Hey, that sounds like a commercial.

I always remembered it as orange is the color of...well, that's what the bags are for.

Yeah, but what confuses me is green is the color you turn just before you use a bag.

Good thinking! Sounds like a quality navigator. Unless you steered them into an asteroid field.

Um, well. Funny that you mention an asteroid field. :blush:

And a cold-weather guy, too!

I don't think they batted a thousand with their predictions, but time will tell.

Les Chefs de France

When we last left off, our intrepid Epcot explorers had just finished a quick ride on Spaceship Earth. And now, upon exiting the ride, we needed to double-time it to the World Showcase for a 12:20pm adr at Les Chefs de France. I probably do not need to inform you that Epcot is a big park. Nor do I need to remind you that Florida is a hot place in June. Anyway, we moved as fast as we could and got there a few minutes late but within the acceptable grace period, which is probably fashionable in France, right?

IMG_9430_zpsd7eodnbs.jpg

We were immediately led to our table. The restaurant was not overly busy.

IMG_9431_zpshaulxmme.jpg

I love how Disney will staff places like this with people from the actual country. It’s great because their English is good, but not perfect. For example, the person who brought us to our table said, “the waiter will explain you the menu”. It’s about as authentic an experience as you can get, without traveling thousands of miles.

Here’s a view back across the dining room after we were seated at our table. The windows along the right of the picture are the front of the building, and face the walkway around the World Showcase. The restaurant has kind of a bistro feel with the view of the sidewalk, but considering that this is Florida, it’s good that it’s in the air conditioning.

IMG_9432_zpslixm9b8w.jpg

Our waitress, Fanny from Lyons France, describing the gluten free options to Judy.

IMG_9433_zpsf1rlqmqq.jpg

The chef (de France) visits our table to understand Judy’s food allergy issues.

IMG_9435_zpscrh8g6fg.jpg

One reason we like visiting DisneyWorld so much is that they take such care with food allergies. In addition to being so attentive, they seem to try to have plenty of options available. We decided to order from the price fixe portion of the menu, which meant that for a set price (which I don’t remember) we’d each select a soup or salad, entrée, and dessert. They would be able to accommodate Judy’s gluten issue within the choices.

IMG_9436_zpsbfwcsvjk.jpg

Our first taste however, was outside of the price fixe menu, an appetizer of escargot. I know what you’re thinking: “Are snails really an appetizer? Will they really enhance your appetite, or kill it altogether?” Of course, that is a matter of personal preference. But here we were in the World Showcase; a part of the Walt Disney World parks that celebrates different cultures and tastes. (And hopefully the chefs here knew how to make the stuff palatable.) And besides that, we’d tried them once before, on a Royal Caribbean cruise in 2008, and they weren’t terrible. Anyway, Marlene asked if we could get them and since this was her graduation-celebration trip, and in the restaurant she asked for (due to her fondness for all things France), how could I refuse?

IMG_9438_zpsb1oz14s5.jpg

They’re not bad. They’re kind of just a vehicle to eat butter and whatever else is in the sauce. Kind of like raw oysters or something like that. We all ate one and Marlene got two. They would normally be served with bread crumbs on top, but those were left off for Judy.

On to the first course of our price fixe meals, soup. Marlene and I both got lobster bisque.

IMG_9439_zpsfvz3oebm.jpg

The others each got French onion soup. I think that both soups were really well received. (Lobster bisque is easier to eat, in my opinion, since you end up fighting with the cheese on the onion soup.)

IMG_9440_zpszw5a3irb.jpg

Fanny brought baguettes to the table and I neglected to take a picture of mine until it was more than half-eaten. But rest assured, it was excellent!

IMG_9441_zpsftydouay.jpg

Fanny took a group picture for us. It was cute because she took one picture, looked at the back of the camera and said, “it’s not...clear”, trying to find a word to describe out-of-focus. She did a great job finding a word to communicate her meaning to us, and an equally great job getting a second photo in-focus.

IMG_9443_zpszcefiznj.jpg

Next course, our entrée’s. I got the macaroni and cheese. I normally wouldn’t order just mac and cheese for an entrée, but we decided that we’d all share our different items and so I got this to try. It was really good though.

IMG_9444_zpswkddwznj.jpg

Marlene and James got the quiche Lorraine and salad. I don’t remember what the verdict was on this, but I don’t remember any negatives from our meal here so I’m sure it was good.

IMG_9445_zpsjp1mnk19.jpg

While we’re on the subject of quiche, allow me to tell a quick family story. A few years ago, James had a French class and each student was supposed to bring in a food item for an international meal. Of course James waited until the night before the meal to inform Judy, and he told her that he needed her to make a dish that he’d signed up for. She asked him what she had to make and he answered, “kwi-shay”. We were like, “what the heck is that?!” until we figured out that it was actually “quiche”. It will always be kwi-shay in our household forevermore!

Judy and Lauren each got the croque Monsieur, Judy’s on gluten-free bread.

IMG_9446_zpstbwpvzqa.jpg

This is Lauren’s croque Monsieur, on regular bread.

IMG_9447_zpsrn0tzpe0.jpg

We could see the acrobats outside the restaurant, putting on their show.

IMG_9448_zpsycbjrgrz.jpg

For dessert, I got the profiteroles au chocolat. So good.

IMG_9449_zpsdviaoa3z.jpg

Judy and James got chocolate mousse.

IMG_9450_zpseeaidpdz.jpg

Lauren and Marlene each got crème brulee.

IMG_9451_zpsrjca90cm.jpg

In contrast to the Beverly photos at Club Cool in the previous chapter. Here are some pictures of people enjoying the taste of their desserts.

IMG_9452_zpsdmgjs1lc.jpg

IMG_9453_zpsw6tlpj7p.jpg

IMG_9454_zps0hqobczo.jpg

IMG_9455_zpsau0objul.jpg

Le Chefs de France was a new restaurant for us and I’m really glad we tried it. It was kind of a fancy meal, but I don’t think the price was outrageous. It may have even been less than some of the buffets we’ve done in the past. I thought that we all enjoyed our meals but I learned afterwards that Lauren wasn't really wow'd by hers. It may have been that she hadn't chosen the best options from the menu for her liking. So, slightly mixed reviews on this one. But, now that we've finally broken away from Biergarten after two or three consecutive visits, I may have an easier time getting the family to try one of the many other great restaurants in the World Showcase.

Up next: Epcot afternoon

Last edited:

I have eaten at Le Chef a few times , on solo trips , always nervous for the family. I really love the macaroni and cheese and the onion soup .o longer have my favorite dessert which was an apple thingie . However I have had their crème brulee and it is good. It is a possible for one of our trips with the group!! Good news I am cleared to go back to work tomorrow !!

I know, those were fun times on the Disboards. I don't have the time it takes to keep up with that kind of thing, unfortunately. I feel bad that I can't keep up on people's trip reports anymore, which is even worse. And then there's this report, which is getting so long in the tooth! :o I WILL finish it though!

I am all too aware of how life's circumstances can take (sometimes dramatic) turns. Some for the better, some for the worse. Somethings have to go or be changed, and I understand very well. :hug:

We were immediately led to our table. The restaurant was not overly busy.

I've always seen it so packed out. Nice to see it has slower times too.

I love how Disney will staff places like this with people from the actual country.

I adore that about WS! And the CMs are often very fun to talk to and are usually pretty happy to share about their country.

We decided to order from the price fixe portion of the menu, which meant that for a set price (which I don’t remember) we’d each select a soup or salad, entrée, and dessert. They would be able to accommodate Judy’s gluten issue within the choices.

I'm seeing more and more prix fixe at WDW, but seems like the items offered aren't ones I'd choose. Sometimes, but not always. I do love that option though for folks wanting some simplicity and are trying to stay on a budget.

I have eaten at Le Chef a few times , on solo trips , always nervous for the family.

What, they won't eat escargot?

I really love the macaroni and cheese and the onion soup .

The mac and cheese was really good, but I'm not used to it being a whole entree.

o longer have my favorite dessert which was an apple thingie . However I have had their crème brulee and it is good. It is a possible for one of our trips with the group!!

Hmmm, apple thingie could be good. Creme brulee is definitely good!

Good news I am cleared to go back to work tomorrow !!

Great! I'm sure they've missed you as much as you've missed them.

I am all too aware of how life's circumstances can take (sometimes dramatic) turns. Some for the better, some for the worse. Somethings have to go or be changed, and I understand very well. :hug:

As the world turns!

I've always seen it so packed out. Nice to see it has slower times too.

I did not expect that it would be slow at all. And we speedwalked through the blazing heat to get there!

I adore that about WS! And the CMs are often very fun to talk to and are usually pretty happy to share about their country.

I know! I know that they genuinely like to talk, but it doesn't hurt that they'd rather do that than stock shelves or take inventory or whatever else the boss has asked for. ;)

I'm seeing more and more prix fixe at WDW, but seems like the items offered aren't ones I'd choose. Sometimes, but not always. I do love that option though for folks wanting some simplicity and are trying to stay on a budget.

You're right, you need to look through and decide if you're okay with the choices. And yes, that way I knew what to expect when the bill came, which is a good thing.

I probably do not need to inform you that Epcot is a big park. Nor do I need to remind you that Florida is a hot place in June.

But does the sun rise in the East?

I love how Disney will staff places like this with people from the actual country. It’s great because their English is good, but not perfect. For example, the person who brought us to our table said, “the waiter will explain you the menu”. It’s about as authentic an experience as you can get, without traveling thousands of miles.

Oddly enough, it doesn't seem like it saves you all that much money.

One reason we like visiting DisneyWorld so much is that they take such care with food allergies.

Very true. Although I'm sad to say they're not perfect. My mom had an issue with contamination on our trip this past summer.

I know what you’re thinking: “Are snails really an appetizer? Will they really enhance your appetite, or kill it altogether?”

::yes:: It's like you knew I was here.

They’re kind of just a vehicle to eat butter and whatever else is in the sauce.

So they're like lobster, then.

(Lobster bisque is easier to eat, in my opinion, since you end up fighting with the cheese on the onion soup.)

Maybe so, but...cheese.

A few years ago, James had a French class and each student was supposed to bring in a food item for an international meal. Of course James waited until the night before the meal to inform Judy, and he told her that he needed her to make a dish that he’d signed up for. She asked him what she had to make and he answered, “kwi-shay”. We were like, “what the heck is that?!” until we figured out that it was actually “quiche”. It will always be kwi-shay in our household forevermore!

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

In contrast to the Beverly photos at Club Cool in the previous chapter. Here are some pictures of people enjoying the taste of their desserts.

They do seem to be happier here.

My family has never dined at Chefs de France (or Monsieur Paul, for that matter). The food does all look good, especially the desserts. I do like the way it is like a sidewalk café, without the sidewalk.

Our first taste however, was outside of the price fixe menu, an appetizer of escargot. I know what you’re thinking: “Are snails really an appetizer? Will they really enhance your appetite, or kill it altogether?”

Escargo.png

While we’re on the subject of quiche, allow me to tell a quick family story. A few years ago, James had a French class and each student was supposed to bring in a food item for an international meal. Of course James waited until the night before the meal to inform Judy, and he told her that he needed her to make a dish that he’d signed up for. She asked him what she had to make and he answered, “kwi-shay”. We were like, “what the heck is that?!” until we figured out that it was actually “quiche”. It will always be kwi-shay in our household forevermore!

That is hilarious!

:rotfl2:

But does the sun rise in the East?

At Disney's say so, yes.

Oddly enough, it doesn't seem like it saves you all that much money.

True! It may actually be more expensive, depending on various choices.

Very true. Although I'm sad to say they're not perfect. My mom had an issue with contamination on our trip this past summer.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that.

::yes:: It's like you knew I was here.

I know my audience.

So they're like lobster, then.

Yes. Or chips, nachos, or anything on a veggie tray.

Maybe so, but...cheese.

That long stringy cheese just isn't worth the hassle to me.

They do seem to be happier here.

Most definitely.

My family has never dined at Chefs de France (or Monsieur Paul, for that matter). The food does all look good, especially the desserts. I do like the way it is like a sidewalk café, without the sidewalk.

I thought the food was fine, Lauren wasn't bowled over.

Yeah, a sidewalk cafe that has the temperature setting of indoor HVAC...or just go to Hawaii, where the temperature is always perfect! Am I right?!

Nice! You always have the best cartoons/memes!

That is hilarious!

:rotfl2:

When I re-read that, it didn't really convey how long we were trying to figure out what kwi-shay was. It was probably a half-hour or more. I think Judy was trying to get onto the teacher's website to see if there was a recipe for this thing!

Our first taste however, was outside of the price fixe menu, an appetizer of escargot. I know what you’re thinking: “Are snails really an appetizer? Will they really enhance your appetite, or kill it altogether?” Of course, that is a matter of personal preference. But here we were in the World Showcase; a part of the Walt Disney World parks that celebrates different cultures and tastes. (And hopefully the chefs here knew how to make the stuff palatable.) And besides that, we’d tried them once before, on a Royal Caribbean cruise in 2008, and they weren’t terrible. Anyway, Marlene asked if we could get them and since this was her graduation-celebration trip, and in the restaurant she asked for (due to her fondness for all things France), how could I refuse?
Easy......….Nope, No Way, Forget It, Uh-Uh! :sad2:

Actually took the opportunity a few years ago during Food and Wine to try escargot in France. They were baked inside a pastry. Unfortunately there were three of them. The first was fine, the second was okay, the third.....oh that sucker was growing in my mouth! Next time, LESScargot please...…. :snail:

She asked him what she had to make and he answered, “kwi-shay”. We were like, “what the heck is that?!” until we figured out that it was actually “quiche”. It will always be kwi-shay in our household forevermore!
I actually prefer my kwi-shay with my horse doovers! :rolleyes1

For dessert, I got the profiteroles au chocolat. So good.
They look good too!

Judy and James got chocolate mousse.
With or without the antlers??? :confused3

Okay Miss Hoity Toity turn up your nose to anything not V&A! :rolleyes: (man I wish they had a smiley with a pinky raised hand holding a tea cup)

Easy......….Nope, No Way, Forget It, Uh-Uh! :sad2:

:rotfl:

Actually took the opportunity a few years ago during Food and Wine to try escargot in France. They were baked inside a pastry. Unfortunately there were three of them. The first was fine, the second was okay, the third.....oh that sucker was growing in my mouth! Next time, LESScargot please...…. :snail:

Well since you've tried them, you're allowed to comment. Good job giving them a shot.

I actually prefer my kwi-shay with my horse doovers! :rolleyes1

I almost forgot about that one, an oldie but a goodie.

They look good too!

Yeah, I could go for those right about now.

With or without the antlers??? :confused3

Without -- I hate it when they get stuck in my teeth. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter